Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Good Abattoir Guide  (Read 195845 times)

Tiva Diva

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Scottish Borders
    • Thornielee Cottage
Re: Good Abattoir Guide
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »
I can recommend our butcher: Martin Baird's in Melrose. They do a very good job for a very reasonable price, and I trust them completely. We've also used J. C. Douglas in St. Boswells and they do a good job too. I have done my own butchering in the past, and still do it on sheep & deer which are for our own consumption, but I don't manage nearly as neat a job as they do (even with my surgical training!). I would suggest that if you think your butcher is cheating you then have a word with trading standards and use a different butcher!

Rhodie

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2012, 12:40:34 pm »
I always see my stock through the slaughtering be they my own or those that I manage, so know how they are treated, I take the wild boar through myself as they know me and will not suddenly become agitated surrounded by strangers. Any stock for personal use and not for sale I slaughter myself at home, an old tin bathtub with a winch works well as a scalding tank, boil water on a wood stove or in a metal drum over a fire outside, pour over using a jug, and use tin lids to scrape off the hair, this has worked for me for over 30 years, and with my training in meat inspection I am able to produce neat joints and chops for my own or for any neighbours I help.

robert waddell

« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2012, 11:31:17 pm »
surprised at you posting that being an ex meat inspector and the laws governing home kill and who can benefit from it :farmer:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2012, 09:51:32 am »
Well  our 2 Kune-Kune came back yesterday from Millers of Speyside. charge for slaughter and butchery was £151. 40.  .weight was 60.0 kg and 52.2 kg hot 57.4  and 50.5 cold net C 57.4 and 50 .5  pay kg 58.5 and 51.2 prb Est per cent 69.5 69.0 Lean C not sure what it all means but Neil who i bought the pigs from said the meat was very good. They have made a real good job and we are well pleased. It also says con. 0 Plan to get 2 more from Neil around December. I would use Millers again.  :pig:

redborneschoolfarm

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 04:40:32 pm »
Being a school farm and a very open site we need to ensure that our stock meets a suitable end and only use two abattoirs. We use Helletts at Kimbolton (Bedfordshire) they are excellent with clean, calm facilties and excellent butchery. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. We also use CA Leech in Hertfordshire who like Helletts are fantastic and we strongly recommend them in terms of animal welfare and butchery skills, the sweet chilli sausage mix is the best I've ever tasted. On the topic of Evans and Sons I would be cautious on the plus side they will kill anything but you shoudl slap mark your pigs to check that they are definately yours coming back. Have sent large black pigs and received Tamworth Heads!!!! Please add Helletts and Leech to the good guide though,

Ben

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2012, 07:29:27 am »
If in Devon, I can reccomend Langs at Ashburton. Everything quiet and orderly, no shouting or sounds of animals distressed. Very professional staff who I've always found to be very patient.
They are also butchers who will cut to your requirements and do your bacon as well.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2012, 05:24:53 pm »
Thanks all, am now doing an update that should be there this evening !

http://www.oaklandspigs.co.uk/links/abattoirs/

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2012, 04:25:56 pm »
Sadly Daysdrove abattoir in Bishops Castle has gone into administration. They were trying to be a small "family" run concern but couldn't compete with the big faceless killing machines. Don't know where we will take our pigs now :-)

I guess I'll have to check the good abattoir guide :-)))
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2012, 06:16:20 pm »
Suzie,

Thanks, yes I had heard that they had closed, and updated the website a few days ago with this info.

When you find a new one, let us know what you think !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2012, 07:56:27 pm »
Yes - I saw that the guide had been updated only after I had posted this. Sorry :-)

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2012, 08:12:30 am »
I think the postcode for A H Griffths in Leintwardine is incorrect in the guide. It should be SY7 0LB and not HR6 9QS as published ( which takes you to Kingsland, Herefordshire)

Berkshire Boy

• Joined May 2011
  • Presteigne, Powys
« Reply #41 on: May 18, 2012, 11:55:48 am »
Suzie, If you are going to use Griffiths at Leintwardine they are very good. Always very helpful and friendly and offer a good butchery and their suasages are lovely. Always good with the animals as well.
Everyone makes mistakes as the Dalek said climbing off the dustbin.

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #42 on: May 18, 2012, 02:08:44 pm »
Oh thanks for that endorsement BB. Very reassuring. We will be taking our pigs there in the late Autumn.

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2012, 12:50:54 pm »
I think the postcode for A H Griffths in Leintwardine is incorrect in the guide. It should be SY7 0LB and not HR6 9QS as published ( which takes you to Kingsland, Herefordshire)
Suzie,

Thanks for that, have updated !
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2012, 12:19:32 pm »
Oh thanks for that endorsement BB. Very reassuring. We will be taking our pigs there in the late Autumn.

Late Autmn is when most kept over summer pigs are butchered so i'd book 'em in sooner rather than later, just count approx  16 - 18 wks from when you got them (8wks old) to give you a date.
HTH
mandy  :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS