Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best fruit trees for Scotland?  (Read 53393 times)

johnlikesapples

• Joined Aug 2011
Re: Best fruit trees for Scotland?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2011, 08:06:03 pm »
you might also take a look at

www.scottishfruittrees.com

and Scottish Orchards is an org for people interested in fruit growing (which I chair)

happy harvest

John

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2011, 08:43:44 pm »
And Andrew Lear at www.plantsandapples.co.uk has lots of Scottish varieties. :apple:

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2011, 11:34:26 pm »

Thanks both. I have tried getting in touch with Andrew, but I think he must be inundated at the moment, as he hasn't returned my calls as yet.

John - likewise, is that your own website?  If so, would you be able to recommend some new trees for us if I told you a bit more about our situation, and what we have already?

Cheers!

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 10:31:27 am »

Thanks both. I have tried getting in touch with Andrew, but I think he must be inundated at the moment, as he hasn't returned my calls as yet.

Andrew's speaking at the CSSA meeting in October, I think. We have a list of recommended trees from him that I'd be happy to share with you if you're coming to the BBQ on Saturday. The trees he supplies is on the website.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 02:58:42 pm »

Yes please Rosemary. I'll catch up with you on Saturday.

johnlikesapples

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2011, 10:19:53 pm »
Hi Womble

If you take a look at the www.scottishfruittrees.com website you can take a look at the selection of fruit trees we can offer. Also some special offers.  Happy to have a chat if you want.

best

John

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 09:34:45 am »

Stop press!  Just heard back from Andrew, and with some very sensible recommendations.  Best get planning as to what goes where then!!

Paul Mack

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 06:11:16 pm »
Hi,

I have just bought a late victorian house in Ayrshire that has an apple tree in the garden that didn't do very will this year, the previous owner said that she thought the tree could quite possibly be about 100 years old. I am not sure that the poor thing is in the best of health and would like some advice on whether a good prune would help? The wind this year hasn't helped and the leaves are quite brown and curled - so not sure if it might have something or other else wrong with it? I am not terribly advanced on looking after fruit trees but have studied the RHS Encyclopedia regarding apples but am none the wiser.

Help!

Paul

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 07:47:33 pm »
Try contacting Association of Scottish Smallholders - they may be have an arboriculturalist amongst their members.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:35 pm »
http://www.commonwealthorchard.com/
Another link here which lists suitable apples for growing in Scotland. They're based in Glasgow. They will deliver, or you can arrange to pick them up yourself.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 10:49:10 pm »
Idiot!!
I've just checked the other link and it's the same one!!
Shame I'll miss the meeting in October as I'll be at work, it would have been of interest to me as the orchard I planted was destroyed by, firstly, sheep and then after replanting by deer. I'll have to get the area properly fenced off prior to planting again.

johnlikesapples

• Joined Aug 2011
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 11:49:57 pm »
Hi all - John here from www.scottishfruittrees.com

I was at the Scottish Parliament yesterday trying to get school and community orchards on the agenda

See the  BBC online video at

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scottish-Orchards/144432738915049

Also at www.scottishorchards.com

Scottish Orchards is particularly keen that we try and push the case for school orchards www.fruitfulschools,com so young people across Scotland can get experience of growing, harvesting and enjoying their own harvest

This shows the role that Scottish Orchards should have - to give a voice to fruit growing and community orchards across Scotland

If you'd like to support the petition - or have ideas hw to create a Fruitful Scotland mail john@scottishorchards.com

Goldcraig

• Joined Jan 2012
  • North Ayrshire
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 08:45:47 pm »
We have more or less resigned ourselves to forfeiting our fruit this year as we pruned them heavily to get them in decent shape for next year. We only took over the land in October and decided early on to heavily prune them back. They were in a right mess with lot of crossing branches in the middle and not much shape to them...Lots of research and good few days pruning and lopping and with any luck, we will have a good load of apples, plums and pears next year.....Also managed to get Raspberry, Blackcurrant and Redcurrant cuttings in Poundland today...before you ask, I did ask how much they were...doh !! Anyway, is it a true saying you only get what you pay for? :thumbsup: we shall see....worse case , I'm down 3 quid....
Trust me.....I'm a Chef !!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS