Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: apple and pear trees  (Read 6795 times)

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
apple and pear trees
« on: January 07, 2012, 06:33:13 pm »
we are looking to plant an orchard on our land, however when browsing through a catalogue i ordered i realised that there is just so many varieties and we didn't know where to start!!! interested to hear on what you guys would recommend we would like at least 1 cooking apple I'm guessing bramley and perhaps 4 different varieties for eating, my partner likes red apples whereas i prefer russets!! i was thinking it would make sense to pick varieties that will produce fruit at different times of the year so we  could have a steady supply, would also be interested to hear recommendations for pear trees??

Any advice much appreciated, thanks in advance!! :farmer: :thumbsup:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: apple and pear trees
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2012, 07:04:26 pm »
Where are you?

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2012, 07:08:24 pm »
south devon will be in a fairly sunny spot but not south facing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:25 am »
Local apples tend to do well in local areas, so what does well for someone here may not suit where you are.  Having said that I would recommend Blenheim Orange as the most delicious apple I know.  A nice red one is Falstaff, and every orchard should have a Bramley.

Remember that you have to have trees which are in flower at the same time to get good fruit set, and for Bramley you need two pollinators.  So if you want to have a succession of fruit, then pay particular attention to the pollination group of each variety chosen.

For pears I think you can't beat a juicy Conference, but I can't get them to grow up here, even with a pollinator, although strictly speaking they don't require one.

Do you have any local orchards where you could see and taste local varieties?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 11:34:48 am »
the best red apple I've tried is Red Devil, I tried to graft one last year, fingers crossed. I personally am not that fond of Conference pears, as they have a very short ripe period. I prefer Comice which are lovely to eat or cook. :&>

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 12:22:05 pm »
I would also recommend Bleinheim Orange, the nicest tasting apple I have ever tried. So much so that I have planted one on our Aberdeenshire hilltop; unlikely to fruit but I like having it! I have also planted Peasgood Nonsuch as it is a cooker and eater.

Might be worth checking out the River Cottage site to see if there is any info on local orchards or which local varieties Hugh FW found for there?

If you plant a quince (great for pies with apples or for quince jelly) then it acts as a pollinator to any apple tree; you may still need another pollinator for triploid varieties but it does help. It is also very very hardy!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 12:40:00 pm »
If you plant a quince (great for pies with apples or for quince jelly) then it acts as a pollinator to any apple tree; you may still need another pollinator for triploid varieties but it does help. It is also very very hardy!

wow, I had no idea - does that apply to any fruiting quince or does it have to be a particular variety?  :&>

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 08:00:53 pm »
many thanks for all replies i have thought about the bleinheim orange however in the catalogue where we order our fruit trees which is in devon says that it is very vunerable to canker which put me off but perhaps it shouldnt
http://www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk/pdf/catalogue.pdf i think the problem is just too much choice!!

Millwood

• Joined Jul 2011
  • Oxfordshire
    • Millwood Market Gardens
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:41:34 am »
Comice pears are wonderful, D'arcys Spice Apple & Pipmarston Pineapple are two of my favourites!
Chooks, ducks, pigs, Bertie the tractor & loadsa veg!
www.themarketgardeneynsham.co.uk
Twitter: @marketgardeneyn

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS