Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: URGENT - Palacerigg Country Park  (Read 28924 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: URGENT - Palacerigg Country Park
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2010, 03:08:18 pm »
Hi Rosemary - any idea who this Clair Rock is as she seems to be the only person trying to do something positive.  I would like to be able to contact her.

Still no reply from Palacerigg.  I have tried also to find out who will be at the Council meeting on the 9th, so we can lobby them first.  I have had no luck on the NLC website - I am hopeless at these things as I don't seem to be able to dig deeper.  Can you find out who will sit at the meeting?

Apparently the stockperson at Palacerigg is Lucy - Julie Suffolk of the Soay and Boreray Socs is trying to contact her urgently for more information, and to let her know of our support.
Apparently the Council has earmarked the 'freed-up space' once the animals have been ditched to creating an extreme sports playground - which is bound to go bust in a couple of years.

Julie Suffolk has commented that once the decision has been taken it is likely that the animals will be dispersed through a mart, probably Lanark, with very little notice.  I have had several expressions of interest/offers to help from TAS members, but if the stock goes straight through Lanark we will all have to be prepared to act quickly.

If it wasn't so sad, you would have to laugh at the Governments concept of 'preserving the genetics' with the Shetland cows - preserving in aspic doesn't work, they have to be bred. Sometimes I just want to weep.

I got this yesterday from Ian, who's the Secretary of the Caledonian RBST Support Group

"Hi Rosemary
Yes I did hear that its a move by the council as a cost cut. RBST Stoneleigh are trtying to help via Ruth Dalton and I have had some conversations with Clair Rock who has started a rescue movement. I sent her some information about RBST and did a short interview with the local paper some time ago but I have to admit to losing contact abit due to a busy period with work.I think there was a council meeting due this week on 9th when the final decision will be made.

I will try and find out more from Clair and let you know.

Ian"

I'll pass on more information as I get it.

Re Knocknagael The Scottish Government had a herd of Shetland cattle - all female, I think - that it had maintained to preserve the genetics. Due to cost cutting, they decided at very short notice to sell it at Dingwall Mart. The Shetland Cattle Breeders Association and the Shetland Cattle Herd Book Society were either not told or told very close to the sale - to close for them to do anything to secure the herd. Furthermore, many of the females had not been put in calf for years so now some doubt as to whether they will be able to calve again. So much for preserving the genetics. Maybe we shoudl just clone them - that seems to be OK.

"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2010, 12:03:06 am »
Well, because of the freezing and difficult conditions, the Council has put off the big decision-making day until Tuesday 14th. Have a look on the North Lanarkshire Council website - doganjo has given the link earlier here.  They do now have a mention of the meeting, called 'difficult decisions' or something like that.  There are various cost-cutting options they will be considering, such as no longer doing gardening for private house owners for free - I vote they stop that rather than closing the rare breeds farm.  I will try to post the full links tomorrow, once I learn how, unless someone else gets there first  :).  There is also an option to contact the group, so will do that too when I have a brain.
Please anyone else who cares about this too, email the committee to explain why it is so important for Palacerigg farm park to stay open and keep their rare breeds going.

HappyHippy

« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2010, 10:03:00 am »
WEBSITE
http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=6526

Online form to contact them - http://www.northlanarkshire.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=12374&formid=10&sendtoid=0
I've contacted them using the second link - here's a copy of what I've written (I'm not the best with words, but hopefully it'll get the message across) Maybe if we ALL mention TAS they'll realise that there's a fair bit of support  ???

Hi,
I'm part of an on-line forum called 'The Accidental Smallholder' (I suspect you may get a few emails from members) we've heard that the park may be forced to close and are all very concerned that we may lose some of our rarest breeds which you do such a good job of preserving.
I live in South Lanarkshire and keep rare breed pigs and chickens  - rare breeds and their preservation are a subject very close to my heart and I would like to help in any way I can.
Please let me know if I can help, or who I should contact to try and help keep the park going or alternatively what the proceedure would be to re-home some of your animals within the Lanarkshire/Central Scotland area.
Many thanks,
Karen McKay

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2010, 10:34:18 am »
Excellent Karen, thank you so much.

We have had the following lukewarm reply from the RBST, who seem to have missed the point that this is Scotlands only approved rare breeds farm:
Dear Mr Johnston,
Thank you for your email to the RBST regarding the rare breeds at Palacerigg, which as you rightly state is one of our approved farm parks. In the past year alone several of our council run farm parks have faced or are facing similar closures due to the cuts made by local authorities. It seems farms are an easy target for cost saving. RBST is working with these centres to give as much support as we can, and if and when necessary help with the re-homing of stock. Unfortunately, our resources are not such that we are able to financially support all of our approved Council run farm parks facing these threats. We are supporting campaigns at other approved farm parks around the country and will do the same for Palacerigg.
I will forward your email on to Viki Mills, the RBST Trustee with responsibility for liaison with approved farm parks and our field officer for the area, Ruth Dalton.
Kind regards
Claire
Claire Barber
Conservation Officer
Direct Line: 024 7669 8762

HappyHippy

« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 11:46:55 am »
I've emailed Ruth Dalton too  ;) ;D ;D ;D

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 12:18:49 pm »
I can't help with animals but could help raise funds - used to be part of my job.  I have emailed N L Council:viz

"I am a member of The Accidental Smallholder Forum, and have read disturbing news of the Park possibly having funding withdrawn.  It is imperative that our Scottish Rare breeds are maintained on farms such as this one, and since this is Scotland's only approved rare breeds farm, I feel it should be supported.  If there is anything I can do to help I will gladly do so.  My fellow TAS members are also disturbed by this news and you will probably received numerous emails on the matter.  Although I am not in a position to re-home any of the animals, many of the others are, and I recommend that you take up these offers if the Park must close.  These are experienced smallholders and animal owners.
Regards
Anne Massie"
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 12:29:24 pm »
Thank you Anne - that is superb.

Below is a copy of the email I have sent to Richard Lochhead MSP today, copies to every sheep soc involved and to various sheep online chat groups, plus Lawrence Alderson.  Soon I will also send similar stuff to NLC, The Glasgow Herald and The Scottish Farmer (need a cuppa first !)  I haven't included the Eriskay Pony people as i don't have contact details - does anyone else?  I would also like to send a copy to the RBST Caledonian support group - anyone have contact details for them?

To Richard Lochhead, MSP

On Tuesday 14th December, North Lanarkshire Council are meeting to discuss possible financial savings, which would include disposing of  Palacerigg Country Park's rare breeds of farm livestock, as part of the austerity measures. They hope this will save £170,000 a year, a tiny percentage of their overall budget.

The importance of this collection of Scotlands rare breeds to our country cannot be over-emphasised. 
#Currently, Palacerigg holds the only flock of the very rare Boreray breed of sheep in Scotland - 30 animals out of the total 439 in existence, the rest being in English flocks. 
#North Ronaldsay sheep are world famous as 'the seaweed eating sheep' - there are fewer than 1000 of these animals all told.  We have three small flocks in Scotland, one of them at Palacerigg. 
#The iconic Soay breed of little sheep from St Kilda, the most primitive sheep in existence and of great value to science, has only six flocks of registered animals currently in Scotland, one of them at Palacerigg.
As well as several British rare breeds, Palacerigg also keeps Eriskay ponies which are desperately rare, Shetland cattle, Scots Grey and Scots Dumpy chickens - all Scottish breeds which are on the 'at risk' register of the Rare Breeds Survival Trust.  Nowhere else in Scotland is there such a collection of our rare breeds.

As a country, we have a duty to ourselves and under European law to maintain our rare breeds of livestock.  They hold within their genes material which is of irreplaceable importance and significance for the development of farm livestock which will be crucial as farming adapts to changing climatic and economic conditions.  Groundbreaking scientific research in Scotland is currently underway using these rare breeds for their unique genetic material.  As a country we are in the forefront of research into farm livestock, forever increasing and sharing our knowledge with the world.     At Palacerigg, the public, including many children, are able to see these animals and understand their importance to the future of Scottish farming. Palacerigg is of vital importance in the education of the young - the scientists of the future.  Palacerigg is also important as the only public place in Scotland where these animals can be seen, where scientists can envision how to use their genetic material and farmers, present and future, can see for themselves the potential in these breeds for improving and modifying their commercial stock to adapt to changing needs.

To date, Palacerigg has done sterling work in the preservation and conservation of our rare breeds. Its importance to Scotland is too great for it to be reduced to a figure in a list of possible budget cuts of one local council, demolished with little consideration of its national importance.  Please intervene with North Lanarkshire Council with your support to ensure the continuing existence of Palacerigg Rare Breeds Centre.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 11:58:56 pm by Fleecewife »

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 12:39:30 pm »
Can't do anything myself as a Brummie but good luck to you guys in what you are trying to do.

You seem to be leading the line well Juliet..........keep up the good work.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 12:46:30 pm »
Brilliant, Fleecewife

The leader of NL Council is Cllr James McCabe mccabej@northlan.gov.uk. The Convener of the Committee responsible for country parks - Environmental Services - is Cllr Helen McKenna McKennaH@northlan.gov.uk

It may be more productive to email them than a Council mailbox.

HappyHippy

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 12:55:26 pm »
Hi Fleecewife(Juliet)
If it's okay with you, I'm going to copy your letter to my msp and any others I can find ! You say it all so very much better than me lol!  ;)

Here's the contacts for the eriskay pony society http://www.eriskaypony.com/index.php?option=com_contact&catid=12&Itemid=3
I have space avaiable (approx 30-40 mins from Palacrigg) where I could keep some stock until homes are found, if that's of any help  ???
Back to battle lol!  ;D ;D ;D

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 02:20:52 pm »
Okay, here's the reply I got from Ruth at the RBST.

Dear Karen

Thanks very much for your email - and for offers of help.  I have been in close contact with the farm manager and  head stockman since they first heard about this and have been giving support whereever I can.  We have contacted all of the breed society secretaries for the relevant breeds at Palacerigg so that if the worst comes to the worst (and the animals will almost certainly have to go to public auction as this is council policy) we can notify as many people as possible.  There is a great deal of interest and support amongst the breed societies and several offers of "holding land" locally.  As was the case with the Shetland Cattle, we are hoping that the auctioneers would be able to specify that potential purchasers should identify themselves before the sale, and notice could be given that the animals should go to breeding homes only (this was successful at Dingwall and all of the Shetlands did go to breeding homes).  We at RBST would do all we could to ensure that this would be the case with Palacerigg stock. 

I'm delighted that TAS have heard about this and are being so active in response.  I am slightly concerned that your emails to the Palacerigg "contact us" page will not get through to the council as it would depend on someone at the Country Park forwarding them on -  so please do send them again to James McCabe and Helen McKenna (email addresses brilliantly found by Rosemary on your forum).  I have copied Ian Bell, our Caledonia group secretary, in on this email.

The points raised by Juliet in her letter are excellent and cover all the main issues very well.  Just to let you know, Palacerigg is one of two Conservation Farm Parks in Scotland, the other being the aforementioned Doonies which came onto our lists this year.  Doonies is currently being run privately by its previous Farm Manager and his wife, who have taken on a 15 year lease to save the Farm Park from closure.  They are aware of the situation at Palacerigg but unfortunately it is very unlikely that the same could happen there, as the Rare Breeds are integrated with the Country Park and I can't see how they could do a similar lease to a private individual.

I hope that the meeting delay gives everyone a last chance to contact the Councillors and make their views known, please do give me a call if you'd like to discuss this further.

With best wishes
Ruth

palacerigg

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 02:51:17 pm »
hey guys keep up the good work glad to see you all love the park and glad to see you want to save us great give them hell

HappyHippy

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 02:52:29 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D Welcome to the mad house
Karen x

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 02:55:25 pm »
Let's go folks!

HappyHippy

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 03:58:34 pm »
Okay, so I've emailed all the MSP's and local councillers in my area, daily mail and daily record and J McCabe and H McKenna at North Lanarkshire council - I'm away to hit facebook now  ;D ;D ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS