Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: URGENT - Palacerigg Country Park  (Read 29057 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: URGENT - Palacerigg Country Park
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »
You are doing a brilliant job Karen.  Sorry you had to stop halfway through.  I am still contacting councillors etc etc.
I have phoned North Lanarkshire Council this morning.  The meeting on Tuesday 1030am will take place in the Council Chambers, Civic Centre, Windmillhill St, Motherwell, ML1 1AB .
However, I was told that members of the public are not allowed to address the meeting, but may only observe procedure.
Below are the email addresses of all  members of the Policy & Resources Committee. Sorry I can't turn them all into hyperlinks as the page jumps around once I get lower down.  The first few are for Cumbernauld, which is where Palacerigg is.
Please email these councillors with your views on the possible closure of Palacerigg

James McCabe -( Lab ) convener - mccabej@northlan.gov.uk
Danny Carrigan (Lab) -                      carrigan@northlan.gov.uk
Wm Homer (SNP)                              homerw@northlan.gov.uk
Tom Johnston (SNP)                         johnstont@northlan.gov.uk
David Key (SNP)                               keyd@northlan.gov.uk
Barry McCullough (Lab)                    mccullochb@northlan.gov.uk
Gordon Murray (Ind..)                        murrayg@northlan.gov.uk
Robert Burrows (Lab)                        BurrowsR@northlan.gov.uk
Ch. Cefferty (Ind)                                ceffertyc@northlan.gov.uk
Sofia Coyle (Lab)                               CoyleS@northlan.co.uk
Thom.Curley (Lab)                             curleyt@northlan.gov.uk
John Higgins (Lab)                             higginsjoh@northlan.gov.uk
Th. Lunny (Lab)                                   lunnyt@northlan.gov.uk
Rich. Lyle (SNP)                                 lyler@northlan.gov.uk
Harry McGuigan (Lab)                       mcguiganh@northlan.co.uk
Helen McKenna (Lab)                       McKennaH@northlan.gov.uk
Th. Morgan (Lab)                               morgant@northlan.gov.uk
John Pentland (Lab)                          pentlandj@northlan.gov.uk
James Robertson (Lab)                    robertsonj@northlan.gov.uk
Michael Ross (Lab)                           rossm@northlan.gov.uk
James Smith (Lab)                            smithjam@northlan.gov.uk     
David Stocks (SNP)                          stockd@northlan.gov.uk
Alan Valentine (SNP)                        valentinea@northlan.gov.uk 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

HappyHippy

« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2010, 04:15:52 pm »
Here's the press release from the Rare breeds Survival Trust (I've already emailed it to ALL the councillors listed above, asking them to consider opening the meeting to public consultation/discussion and expressing the concern felt by the farming community as a whole at this proposal)
Oh, how sick of me are they going to be by the end of this lol! ;) ;D ;D ;D

Commenting on the proposed Removal of the Rare Breed Livestock collection from Palacerigg Country Park in North Lanarkshire,
Peter Titley, President of RBST said:

“Any moves which undermine or threaten agricultural activity in the UK are a matter of concern. Farmers and stockeepers have had a difficult time in recent years from a range of threats: from animal disease to climate change and from the credit squeeze to the competition from cheap imports. Despite all this, consumer interest in farming and the wider environment has never been more apparent. The links between our land and the crops and animals which grow upon it, plus the importance of our agricultural heritage, have a deservedly high public profile as all UK governments seek to better inform the public.

It is troubling, therefore, when we hear of the threat to the established collection of farm animals at Palacerigg - This conservation flagship that has been at the forefront of North Lanarkshire Council’s magnificent support of native breeds of farm animals for many years. It is an important part of the UK network of Approved Conservation Centres promoted by RBST and for many years was the only such establishment in Scotland.

A recent RBST report on Palacerigg describes its animals as “outstanding” and identifies the high quality of management and husbandry while underlining the value of the enterprise to the general public. Since it opened, Palacerigg has provided an immeasurable amount of education and information for thousands of visitors. At the same time, the name of North Lanarkshire Council has been held in high esteem by other livestock keepers who have seen the results of the skill and husbandry of Palacerigg farm staff.

RBST has not yet had an opportunity to assess the specific genetic importance of the bloodlines of the animals currently at Palacerigg but the fact that they are listed under our conservation umbrella is cause enough for us to seek to influence the Council against their removal.

The conservation effort at Palacerigg is something of which the North Lanarkshire Council may be justifiably proud. The removal of the collection of rare farm animals would deprive the enterprise of a significant element and, moreover, would deprive Scotland of one of its keystone conservation projects.

These animals are not museum pieces: they are a living reservoir of the genetic materials which provided the foundations and bedrock of the livestock industry of the British Isles. These creatures have played a vital role in our past. They are again poised to influence the future of extensive and traceable models of stock rearing and to educate current and future generations about the links between food and farming.

On behalf of RBST I will seek to meet with representatives of the Council and with others in the locality who would be interested in exploring alternatives to the dispersal of these important animals.“

Note to Editors

1.   Contact:  RBST President -  Peter Titley  01785 850183  or email : outlane100@googlemail.com;
2.   RBST was established in 1973 as the world’s first national non-governmental organisation created for the genetic conservation of farm animal genetic resources and its Patron is HRH Prince Charles. During the first seven decades of the 1900’s, 26 native breeds of livestock became extinct in Britain. Since the formation of the RBST no native breeds have been lost.
3.   RBST monitors the female breeding numbers of the UK’s livestock (sheep, cattle, goats, pigs, poultry and equines) to determine the viability of a breed. Those most at risk are placed on the RBST Watchlist.
4.   Further  information on www.rbst.org.uk

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2010, 05:49:59 pm »
Thank you Karen for posting that.

Jamie Hepburn MSP for Central Scotland has contacted NLC with a request that they consider not chopping the rare breeds farm, so that is a bit more progress.  The more MSPs we can get on side the better.  I think those councillors must be beginning to get the message, as long as they open their emails.

HappyHippy

« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2010, 06:21:38 pm »
Fleecewife,
The more voices we have, the louder we can shout, the louder we can shout - the more chance there is of them listening (hopefully!)

I'm definately interested in going along to the meeting on Tuesday at Motherwell, any other takers ?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2010, 08:09:27 pm »
yes I will do my best to be there, if I can get away.  Hopefully some of the rest of you can make it to sunny Motherwell.

Peter Titley has sent a copy of his email to the Councillors:
FROM THE PRESIDENT OF RBST
to the Convenor of Policy & Resources Committee, North Lanarkshire Council

Dear Councillor McCabe

Palacerigg Country Park

On behalf of RBST, the UK’s premier Farm Animal Conservation organisation, I am writing to register concern at the budgetary dilemma facing your Council and in particular the proposed impact on the collection of important farm animals at Palacerigg.

Your Council has been at the forefront of native breed conservation for a long time and I am sure that the removal of livestock from Palacerigg would not only have a damaging impact on the affected breeds but also on the establishment itself. Such a move would fail to do justice to the part which your Council has played historically in promoting native and especially Scottish breeds to the public and even at this late hour I would urge you to defer your decision in order that alternatives to animal dispersal might be explored.

RBST is aware of the financial pressures facing a large number of Authorities but believes that the importance of our livestock heritage cannot be overstated. Palacerigg is an important part of the UK network of Approved Conservation Centres promoted by RBST and for many years was the only such establishment in Scotland.

A recent RBST report on Palacerigg describes its animals as “outstanding” and identifies the high quality of management and husbandry.  Palacerigg has provided an immeasurable amount of education and information for thousands of visitors and the report underlines the value of the enterprise to the general public.  North Lanarkshire Council has been held in high esteem by other livestock keepers and breeders who have seen the results of the skill and husbandry of Palacerigg farm staff.  RBST is sensitive to the issues raised in your consultation documents but we also have a duty to uphold the principles which have driven our work over the past 37 years. I would be happy to meet you and colleagues to discuss these issues in more detail. My personal contact details are given below.

Yours sincerely

Peter Titley

PRESIDENT
RBST

palacerigg

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2010, 10:37:57 pm »
palacerigg is not only about animals its a magical place where people can feel the freedome off open space away from the concrete jungle palacerigg opened in 1974 and hashad animal ever since then the park is a place of raw beuty and also a place of adventure what makes it all the better is seeing some of scotland rare breeds at the same time it would break my  heart to see the animals go i know tese are hard times and the finantual situation isbad but please remember there are alot of people on our side inside the council as well as outside i thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all your hard work and tim you have giving up in this quest i really hope it all works out for the best i wil be there on tuesday so hope to meet up with some of you.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »
I've emailed The Wee County, The Herald, Richard Simpson MSP, Keith Brown MP
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

HappyHippy

« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2010, 11:42:07 pm »
As well as TV, radio and everybody else I can think of I've also contacted Duncan Bannatyne (Dragon's Den) as a leading Scot he'll hopefully step up to the mark  ;)
Anyone got an email address for Sir Sean Connory or Billy Connolly ?  ;D (I'm still looking, but run the risk of being considered a stalker lol!)

cmorrell

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Kirkintilloch, NE of Glasgow
    • Calum Morrell Photography
« Reply #53 on: December 10, 2010, 11:48:26 pm »
I can find out if the STV newsdesk is interested in the story - but not until Monday when my friend is back at work.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »
What excellent ideas you have all had.  My brain seized up last night with all the unfamiliar time at the computer but I have now sent messages to STV News, BBC News and Clyde1  - thank you Karen for the links.  It was bit of a squash and of course I couldn't get the attachments in.......

Palacerigg, that is wonderfully poetic!  Such a lovely place to save. Tom Johnston is the Councillor for Palacerriggs ward and he is firmly on our side.

I think Sean Connery and Billy Connolly are excellent people to contact.  They must have fan clubs or at least websites?

Can anyone else think of any other bigwigs to approach?

HappyHippy

« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2010, 12:58:32 pm »
Erm, I'm maybe taking it a bit far now  :-[
I've contacted HRH Prince Charles, Rangers and Celtic football clubs, the Federation of City Farms as well as starting threads on the forums of River Cottage, RSPB and netmums. Sir Sean and the 'Big Yin' seem to be somewhat elusive with their contact details  :-\ Such a shame, but I'll keep trying  ;) ;D ;D ;D
Emailed a couple of businesses in Cumbernauld and I'll continue to do so until my eyes cross or my fingers go numb - whichever happens first lol!

Signatures up to 288, so we're doing something right !  ;D ;D ;D

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2010, 01:19:38 pm »
You are my hero HappyHippy - well, heroine  ;D    :bouquet:  All excellent ideas.

I had a look at Sean Connery's and Billy Connolly's websites and as you say, the only contact is to tell Sean he's lovely - but he knows that anyway.  www.billyconnolly.com has a very different home page and a lovely song with even a wee bit of pipes and drums to listen to while you work out where you're meant to click (for those who're a bit slow at these things).  Thank you Billy! 
I will ask around to find out how you contact these guys.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:11:01 am by Fleecewife »

happymanoftheworld

• Joined Dec 2010
    • Scottish Rare Breeds
« Reply #57 on: December 12, 2010, 12:27:03 am »
Hi All - I am a newbie to this site having only found it through the wonderful "happy hippy". She contacted me to let me know about Palacerigg. Although the forum has a lot of posts which are great - the possible closure was actually announced in the press on 23 September - http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/extinction-fear-as-rare-breeds-face-axe-in-55m-council-cuts-1.1057021 -   I only found out about 3 weeks later by chance whilst phoning Paul (manages the animals) because the Eriskay colt born last year (Aran) was from my stallion Cuillin. Paul works very hard and has weathered a couple of political storms there.... he really cares about the animals.

Since hearing the news I had contacted a few breed societies and let them know - some knew, some didn't and were shocked.

I have also written a letter to the NLC head of  the department asking that the letter be given to all involved in the committee - he has replied in the affirmative. Without copying the letter here in full, my main thrust was the EU Biodiversity regulation of 2004 which states that eash member State (i.e. us!) must conserve, protect and promote the native farm breeds - i.e. what we call "rare breeds". Furthermore, in that same regulation it states that the member states  should create "ARKs" - (I have yet to see ours 6 years down the line!!) Based on this I have suggested that NLC could do really well by  publicising themselves as Scotland's first ARK. I also of course pointed out that it was a superb educational resource for the children. I ended the letter by requesting information about IF the park closed, where  the animals would be auctioned or alternatively if we could purchase them. He replied in the positive to all points.

Can I also say that you can forget Mr Lochhead.... I actually have a letter from him (and remember this is the Scottish party for culture and heritage ) in which he states to me that Shetland cattle are neither rare nor culturally or historically important. He has been sent my reply!!!

I have suggested to the breed societies and to Ruth Dalton that we set up Land Banks where animals can be kept short term if need be.... this would also be useful in any future emergency of the same nature - which is highly probable in today's economic climate.

Doonies by the way was actually rescued by a group "Friend's of Doonies" - they had a few obstacles in their way via the council and finally the lovely Husband  and wife team negotiated a 15 year lease ---- she actually gave up her job.... wonderful people!

Finally, there is I believe a gentleman who has another small flock of Boreray's in the North of Scotland who is working very hard at getting them registered..... another brilliant person. - so there are actually two flocks in Sctoland apart from the ones on the island of course. The main Boreray lady - a wonderful person - explained the details to me..... but it is complicated, believe me!

There is plenty more which I could convey, but this posting is FAR longer than I wanted - but I thought it important considering my website!!! My apologies. ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #58 on: December 12, 2010, 12:32:39 am »
I think we have got big enough now to start 'Friends of Palacerigg Rare Breeds' at westergladstone@btinternet.com .  There seem to be various unconnected small groups all working towards the same end so by cc'ing this email address in correspondence we can all know what we are all doing.  Please if you know of anyone not on TAS but who is interested in the cause can you pass on this address.  Later, if the farm continues, or if the animals have to be sold, we will be able to co-ordinate our efforts, and we can have a dedicated website.
I hope you all think this will help.

Welcome happymanoftheworld - I had just written the above when your email came through, so i hope you support the idea of friends of Palacerigg too!

happymanoftheworld

• Joined Dec 2010
    • Scottish Rare Breeds
« Reply #59 on: December 12, 2010, 12:59:00 am »
Hi Fleecewife - I completely support that idea - I am always a positive thinker hence my user name however I think that the council will act too quickly in the event of the decision going against the park continuing. I think i read in the forum posts that  Ruth as Northern field officer for the RBST said something similar in a reply to someone. I have been working on this since October.... and, as you know, the decision was supposed to be 25th Nov, then Dec, then bad weather.... each time I get myself "hyped" up.  I was actually supposed  to be meeting the CEO of the RBST last Tuesday on another matter regarding rare breeds,  but the weather meant a postponment.
As I said - an eternal optimist, but in this case I amnot confident of success..... I was at the park a couple of days before the blizzards and there seemed to be "that" air about it. :-\

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS