Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bird Flu  (Read 8898 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Bird Flu
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2021, 01:53:45 am »
Has anyone heard on the grapevine any new hints or info of when our birds will be freed?
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 07:45:55 am »
The gov.uk site was updated on the 11th of March. 15 confirmed cases in England. 2 in Scotland. 1 in Wales. 21 cases in wild birds since beginning of year with none for last four weeks.

I think that's fairly positive that it shouldn't be much longer.

Wild bird cases are mostly waterfowl and then birds of prey.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 01:19:08 pm »
Thanks harmony, that is starting to look positive  :thumbsup:

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2021, 05:30:23 pm »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2021, 07:35:27 pm »
sadly a red kite is now reported, West Yorkshire, https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/969204/ai-findings-2021.csv/preview
and, somewhere in England undated but reported this week, 3 seals and a fox
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_source=ed7a7a3d-c40e-4072-a3ab-dc2354e75e4c&utm_content=daily
(under 'other events in England')
so it's not over yet.

No it is still out there but not in huge numbers. Poor bio security is a major spreader of the disease between units.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 07:43:35 pm by harmony »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 11:14:32 pm »
Folks, I caught a really interesting programme on Radio 4 today, called "the jump". Today's episode was talking about bird flu, and how scientists are really worried about the potential for it to jump species.

Suddenly all the current restrictions make much more sense in that context, and with the in-depth explanations given. It's also worth listening to in the context of smallholding vs intensive farming. You can catch it on iplayer etc:

BBC Radio 4 - The Jump, The Jump: Bird Flu
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2021, 11:23:24 am »
as it's just been found in 3 seals and a fox (see my previous post), it certainly can jump species.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2021, 02:26:17 pm »
how scientists are really worried about the potential for it to jump species.
This has always been a concern - mainly the "jump" to humans.
I hope we get the hens out soon or I've nowhere to put my tomatoes.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2021, 07:03:58 pm »
One of the things they said was that they have evidence of jumps from wild to captive and back to wild birds again, plus also jumps to pigs (hence where swine flu came from). "So, what's the chance of another pandemic occuring at some point, caused by a jump of something like H5N8 into people?", asked the interviewer. "Oh, at some point, that's almost certain", said the scientist.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2021, 07:58:20 am »
One of the things they said was that they have evidence of jumps from wild to captive and back to wild birds again, plus also jumps to pigs (hence where swine flu came from). "So, what's the chance of another pandemic occuring at some point, caused by a jump of something like H5N8 into people?", asked the interviewer. "Oh, at some point, that's almost certain", said the scientist.

This is not new. Guidance for pig keepers already exists in the case of bird flu outbreaks and a different movement licence is needed in high risk zones if you keep poultry and pigs on the same premises. I think it is highly likely if you had an outbreak of bird flu on your premises and have pigs your pigs could be culled.

It has long been known that you can pass a human cold to a ferret and other animals get covid type infections.

Look at all the variants of covid we have circulating already.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 08:57:37 am by harmony »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2021, 10:26:32 am »

It's one of the major mechanisms for influenza mutations.  Jump to another species, mutate there a bit so original species will no longer recognise it, jump back.  And variations on that theme.  I was taught this at uni over 40 years ago.  So no, not new.  Oh, and at that time, it was said that the average interval between pandemic-level mutations (affecting humans, I mean) was 33 years.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2021, 05:29:38 pm »
Restrictions are being lifted at end of the month - just heard  :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 05:35:36 pm »

Yay  :excited: :yippee: :yippee: :hughen: :relief:

wildandwooly

• Joined Feb 2021
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2021, 09:13:19 pm »
 :excited: I feel a big chicken/duck party coming on   :yippee: :chook: :&> :chook: :&>

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2021, 09:54:59 pm »
So am I right in thinking they can come out tomorrow? Sounds too good to be true!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS