Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Could I try this??  (Read 4329 times)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Could I try this??
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2021, 11:25:33 am »
Remember hatching is longer (28 to 31 days for ducks, 21 for hens)- you probably know that, but just in case you look too soon.  Watch the hen doesn't give up as they can count too  :innocent:  You might have to rescue them and hatch inside if she does
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Richmond

• Joined Sep 2020
  • Norfolk
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2021, 12:53:59 pm »
Well I think I will give it a go. I realise I will have to be vigilant tho. I read that the humidity required for the egg to hatch is regulated by mum duck who is likely to get into water occasionally during her ‘sitting’. Is there anything special I should provide for a sitting hen.

Firstly the hen should be set in a separate broody coop away from other hens so she can have peace and quiet. Then dust her liberally with diatomaceous earth to ensure she is louse/mite free - itchy hens wont sit for long!
Also make sure she hasn't been broody for too long before you set her. As doganjo says the incubation for ducks is longer so you don't want her to go off the boil and leave the nest. It's worth getting her into position, giving her a couple of fake eggs on for a couple of days to ensure she is still serious about sitting before giving her the eggs you intend to hatch. Place food and water somewhere nearby where she can find it when she comes off the nest for a leg stretch, poo etc. Don't worry about her not getting off every day, she doesnt need to. 3 days before eggs are due to hatch lift her gently at night and mist the eggs with a plant mister or similar to increase the humidity and then leave her to do her job. Don't be tempted to keep looking underneath her to see if they've hatched. You'll know when the babies have arrived as she will get even fiercer when you approach and you may see fragments of shell around her that she's picked out of the nest.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2021, 06:54:49 pm »
Thanks. Really helpful advice.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS