Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Covid Vax - have you had yours?  (Read 5173 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Covid Vax - have you had yours?
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 12:05:31 pm »
You have to remember when deciding about the vaccine, that it is not only about yourself. If not enough people in the population are vaccinated, then there will still be enough circulating virus to mutate to a state where the initial vaccine will not work.  We are all using vaccines, wormers and drugs for our animals every day, so we all know the principles.  Don't forget the consequences, for the 7.5 billion other people in the world.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2021, 12:16:01 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 03:35:01 pm »
You have to remember when deciding about the vaccine, that it is not only about yourself. If not enough people in the population are vaccinated, then there will still be enough circulating virus to mutate to a state where the initial vaccine will not work.

I think it is about yourself if you have doubts and I'm not sure if you have concerns that you should have it for everyone else's sake. The take up and indeed the availability across the globe will vary greatly.

We are all using vaccines, wormers and drugs for our animals every day, so we all know the principles.  Don't forget the consequences, for the 7.5 billion other people in the world.

The animal vaccines we use are well established so perhaps people feel the covid vaccines have not been tested robustly enough?

As for wormers and other drugs we know the consequences for over use too.

The big issue for many is the ever changing goalposts about efficiency, protection and just advice in general.

People rightly feel they have a choice.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 04:14:52 pm »
You have to remember when deciding about the vaccine, that it is not only about yourself. If not enough people in the population are vaccinated, then there will still be enough circulating virus to mutate to a state where the initial vaccine will not work.  We are all using vaccines, wormers and drugs for our animals every day, so we all know the principles.  Don't forget the consequences, for the 7.5 billion other people in the world.

It is admitted that having the vaccine only means that the person vaccinated is less likely to be badly affected if they catch Covid. Therefore it doesn't stop you getting it,  and nor does it stop you transmitting it.
So - like I said it is a personal decision, affecting only myself. So please don't try the guilt trip about how it affects the other 7.5 billion people in the world. It's uncalled for and it's untrue.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 04:18:13 pm »
Harmony - I so agree with what you have pointed out. I couldn't have put it better myself. :sunshine:
Well maybe I could - but I'm just so wary about starting a full scale argument about what is basically a freedom of choice.  :raining:
Rules are made:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2021, 04:40:03 pm »
I'm sure no-one wants an argument and that's not my intention either but this issue is going to divide people. Lets not forget there will be people who can't have the vaccine so will we have people unable to apply for a job because they aren't vaccinated for example. One of the things we don't know yet is how the vaccine may or may not affect the medication or treatment someone is already having.

Personally I'm ok if you want it and ok if you don't.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2021, 05:11:08 pm »
Slight feeling of nausea on waking up and I've been feeling achy all day - a little better this eve.

An interesting article on how Bhutan has managed the pandemic (if you have the time/interest):
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/coronavirus-pandemic-bhutan/617976/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 08:38:49 pm »

An interesting article on how Bhutan has managed the pandemic (if you have the time/interest):
https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2021/02/coronavirus-pandemic-bhutan/617976/

What a fascinating article. Thanks arobwk.
Rules are made:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2021, 11:53:07 pm »

It is admitted that having the vaccine only means that the person vaccinated is less likely to be badly affected if they catch Covid. Therefore it doesn't stop you getting it,  and nor does it stop you transmitting it.
So - like I said it is a personal decision, affecting only myself. So please don't try the guilt trip about how it affects the other 7.5 billion people in the world. It's uncalled for and it's untrue.

There are at least two sides to every discussion, so ignoring one side completely and denying its existence makes for no discussion. I intend no 'guilt trip' but clearly you feel guilty yourself, both by assuming my comment was aimed at you (which it wasn't specifically) and by denying that others may be affected by your decision. If you didn't want any comments on your choice, why did you post your initial statement?
The fact is that most people, by far the larger part of those eligible in the UK so far, have opted to take the vaccine, for whatever reason. So your individual decision is of little relevance in the great scheme of things.  If a far greater proportion of people had chosen not to take the vaccine, then the overall picture would have been different.

The OP was asking if anyone had had their jabs yet, not trying to open an argument about whether or not we should take them.  I am interested in people's replies, their experiences, and any adverse effects they may or may not have had.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:00:46 am by Fleecewife »

cans

• Joined May 2013
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2021, 08:05:58 am »
I had mine 2nd February, (at risk group).  Thought long and hard about it due to my health condition.  Given that every time I've had the flu I'm in bed for a month then useless for about six months I decided that for my health sake I'd have the vaccination. 
Appointment notice was by text, and made by phone, for drs surgery.  In and out in about 3 mins. No queue. No driving involved as surgery is at other end of street.
Arm only mildly, much less so than the flu jag, sore.   
Am paranoid about reaction given my health history.
The only thing I've noticed is a change in pee colour, but that could be paranoia   :roflanim:

For me the vaccination is about how covid might affect my health, and ultimately that's why I chose to have it.
If me having the vaccination reduces the risk to others then that's an added bonus. 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2021, 09:25:35 am »

"The OP was asking if anyone had had their jabs yet, not trying to open an argument about whether or not we should take them.  I am interested in people's replies, their experiences, and any adverse effects they may or may not have had."

Correct the question was "have you had yours"?  Some said yes and some said no. No-one has really said why they have had it and one person explained why they hadn't which someone else identified with. Whether you regard any debate on those decisions as "an experience" or an "argument" is individual.

Currently the uptake of the vaccine offer is high. Whether that remains so as the offer is made to younger age groups is yet to be seen. Whether it is going to deliver the way out of the pandemic as we have been told is yet to be seen. What we do know is that despite a confidence that it will protect we are now being told even if you have had it you should still stay in, that the efficiency of individual vaccines may not be as high as we were told, so it is hardly surprising that some people are not comfortable having it.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:06:23 am by harmony »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2021, 12:45:48 pm »
My first husband was a virologist.  He worked for a University in a hospital laboratory.  He started up the Virus Lab in Aberdeen.  He used to talk about corona viruses regularly - they are all inter-related.

I clearly remember him complaining bitterly about all the red tape involved in having vaccines and treatments approved. He said a lot more lives could be saved across the world if all the governments got together and agreed on standards.  Some of them have done that and that is why these four or five vaccines have been approved so quickly,

Every vaccine that is created in a laboratory is tested and tested till its eyes water - believe me. I remember him talking of little else when he found a new virus, and a new antidote

So, on a personal level, I have immense faith in the people he trained,  and in those who they themselves trained up to his high standards. I wish he were still alive, not just for personal reasons, but so that he and Professor Pennington (Hugh to us) could yet again put the world to rights

Like any other virus, and indeed bacteria, it will become immune to the vaccine unless the majority of the population is vaccinated quickly.  Remember the story about antibiotics?  Finish the course!  Even so, ABs are becoming less effective due to overuse.  So let's get this done and let it be a one off till the next new virus hits us.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 12:47:42 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2021, 04:10:47 pm »

... However - just as a matter of interest - look up Ivomectin covid treatment. There has been a well documented trial in India where Ivomec was used as a preventative and as a covid treatment. It reduced deaths from covid by 83%. Hydroxychloroquine is equally effective in drastically cutting the death rate. One might ask oneself why they are not used to instantly reduce the number of people in ICU, and thereby at a stroke reducing the strain on the NHS. :thinking:

There is also the Canadian nasal spray utilising nitric [edit] acid oxide which is touted to be highly efficient at nullifying any virus particles.  Trouble is that none of these seem to have yet gone into intensive testing, with the usual thousands of volunteers, across the world, as far as I can tell.  In time, one might expect them to be a major part of the defence along with the "lowly" vitamins found to help alleviate symptoms.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:23:51 am by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2021, 05:34:10 pm »

... However - just as a matter of interest - look up Ivomectin covid treatment. There has been a well documented trial in India where Ivomec was used as a preventative and as a covid treatment. It reduced deaths from covid by 83%. Hydroxychloroquine is equally effective in drastically cutting the death rate. One might ask oneself why they are not used to instantly reduce the number of people in ICU, and thereby at a stroke reducing the strain on the NHS. :thinking:

There is also the Canadian nasal spray utilising nitric acid which is touted to be highly efficient at nullifying any virus particles.  Trouble is that none of these seem to have yet gone into intensive testing, with the usual thousands of volunteers, across the world, as far as I can tell.  In time, one might expect them to be a major part of the defence.

Oh I just love a good big sniff of Nitric acid - the back-kick blows your mind  :tired:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 10:57:03 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2021, 11:59:09 pm »
Ah, I see the problem:

- Nitric acid is HNO3 and is highly corrosive.

- Nitric oxide is NO, and is indeed sniffable and causes vasodilation, and I think might be used by athletes, so may perhaps be worth experimenting with.

#according to Mr Google and my rather wonky chemistry memories#
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 12:03:39 am by Fleecewife »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS