Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I ready ?  (Read 26102 times)

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Am I ready ?
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:30:31 pm »
So the lad I bought my lambs off last year is packing in with sheep to do more with goats n sheep ,
   Hes asked me if I'd like to buy some in lamb ewes ones they have been scanned in January,  I have use of a shed now wich I can set some laming pens up in etc the ewes are mules and have been put to a Suffolk ram , I work 9 to 5 but my wife works from home is it possible to lamb the ewes or am I best sticking to buying them in ??

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
Re: Am I ready ?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2020, 08:37:02 pm »
This is ther 3rd lot of lambs

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 08:50:56 pm »
For in-door lambing it is best (IMO) to have someone there all the time, but if you are only lambing small numbers a camera may help - but your wife must be able to drop everything when a ewe starts having problems with her lambing.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 08:52:59 pm »
Good plan i never thort of a camera!
We planned on buying weand lambs again this year but when he told me he was packing in its got me thinking ha

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2020, 08:58:51 pm »
Experienced mule ewes should if you get the feeding right lamb them selves , if you get the choice after scanning go for all twins then it makes the feeding easy pre lambing and put a hand on their backs to check they are all in the same condition  ,again makes feeding easier and since they are mules check their teeth  ( nothing slack or very long ) You have the perfect chance to start from a very good place

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2020, 08:22:06 am »
Hes wanting £120 each is this a fair price ? How easy is it to borrow a tup for next year ? If I get 4 I think I can hand shear them ?
Sorry for all the daft questions

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2020, 08:27:09 am »
If they are scanned for twins and the ewes have good teeth it’s probably about right. You will need to shear them, it’s easier said than done to hand shear :roflanim: some people do loan tups out but it’s a biosecurity nightmare and can introduce disease / resistant worms / scab to your flock easily unless you fully quarantine the tup on arrival for a few weeks.

We’ve just put a Farmstream camera up in our shed and are very happy with it.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2020, 10:06:56 am »
If you are just breeding for lambs for meat, any tup lamb will do the job.  You could leave one of your own tup lambs entire each year, use him and then eat him.  (Son back to mother mating is fine, but you probably wouldn't keep a daughter of that mating for breeding.)

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2020, 10:52:32 am »
2 crop mules scanned in lamb @ £ 120 is a good price  , hand shearing of 4 sheep is not a difficult job just needs time and lots of you tube watching  ,you can even tie their legs and clip lying on their sides or standing haltered to a gate . You could buy a ram lamb and then eat it or re sell  or keep it for future use

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2020, 11:51:30 am »
I have hand-clipped before, tied to a corner hurdle set-up on a halter. Works well, esp if the sheep is fairly relaxed. Four is easily done, one a day/evening.

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2020, 12:03:51 pm »
Thanks for all the replies,  I think am going to give it a go feels like am jumping in at the deep end but life is to short not to try my 7 year old daughter is very excited a about the whole thing ,

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 04:19:00 pm »
 :thumbsup:  the perfect chance you are being offered may not ever come again , plenty of knowledge for you to tap on the forum , don't be shy to ask even if we say not a clue ask a vet :sheep: :sheep:

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2020, 07:22:18 pm »
Told him I'd have 4 ewes!
   I have use of a large stable ( its brand new never been used for large live stock only a few hens ) do I put ewes in to lambing pens or just leave them with the full stable?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2020, 07:56:28 pm »
Leave them as a group until they lamb, then pen up the ewe with her lambs once they are born. Good luck  :excited:

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2020, 08:07:59 pm »
Lambing ewes that have been there and done it all before is one of the best ways to get into lambing. I used to know an old farmer who only ever bought 3 crop ewes because he said that his days of staying up all night lambing were over. He used to have very few problems.

If you still have my contact number you can ring me up if you want any advice in the evening when vets are closed, or any other time. I still have your number so will text you if you've lost my details. :sunshine:
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS