Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Am I ready ?  (Read 26149 times)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Am I ready ?
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2021, 07:56:17 am »
the first sheep we had here 8 years ago was a male entire orphan lamb (commercial mix).    He was a great little lamb got called Eddie (after the farmer who gave him to us).  He was such a lovely pet to everyone,  I had him vaccectomised and he lives here still giving cuddles to all who go to see him (grandchildren and holiday makers love him)   and has a commercial use 10 days every year in the autumn.   
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2021, 08:36:11 pm »
Got our first pet lambs home and they have had a good first feed so all good so far ,
When we went to collect them he was showing us the other ewes he had that we could buy after lambing , he has some zwartbles that was put to a Suffolk tub he said they will be a good starter flock for us this is ther second time lambing ,

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2021, 06:29:52 am »
Both toke approximately 180ml this morning is that about right for a day old lamb ?

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2021, 07:33:08 am »
Sounds about right to me. The milk powder bag will have a feeding guide on

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2021, 12:37:04 pm »
Whats everyone's thoughts on the zwartbles rather than his mules , he was saying that they will be better for my daughter as they more friendly and hardy ?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2021, 02:48:40 pm »
They are very friendly and pretty hardy, yes.  But so are Mules - if you make friends with them ;) 

My experience with the Zwartbles which were here when I arrived was :

- feet often bad
- better lambed indoors, at least the first time, as mothering up not as instant and reliable with non-dairy breeds.  (Mules and Shetlands are particularly awesome in this department.)
- fleeces unexciting to me for spinning, but nice for peg-looming. (Mules often have gorgeous fleeces - but they don't all.)
- black sheep generally can be more attractive to flies; we Crovected the Zwartbles lambs each year but mostly didn't Crovect the Manx x and Shetland x lambs
- they need feeding to cope with rearing two lambs, even on good grass.  (But Mules may need feeding too.)
- they do do their lambs very, very well, so the lambs were pretty much always ready to go off by October at the latest.  (Mules would ditto.)
- get fat if not bred and may then have triplets and / or struggle with lambing - both of which statements probably apply to Mules too
- the meat is excellent
- Mules more likely to have triplets

So I think my advice would be :

- make sure you get ones with good feet
- get whichever you like the look of best.  (In terms of Mules vs Zwartbles and in terms of which specific ewes you buy.)  You are going to be getting up and going out in all weathers to see to them, it really helps to have animals you love looking at! 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
Any sheep will be friendly if you bribe it with enough cake  :roflanim:

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2021, 04:21:32 pm »
As a Zwartbles owner/breeder I would be the wrong person to ask.  Breed bias and all that.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2021, 07:37:02 pm »
Pick sheep that you like to look at , there  are good and bad sheep within every breed

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #39 on: March 06, 2021, 10:31:29 pm »
Lambs doing well

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2021, 06:52:54 am »
zwartbles x   ewes .......  hmm ....... my neighbours bought some of these as starter sheep .....  all was great till lambing .....  triplets everywhere! (or at least thats what it felt like) ..... I was called upon several times to wizz down and help (loved it!) but they were struggling to say the least.

They had no foot problems and once they had a grip on them they became easier to handle .... but they are large... as are mules.   and thus eat a lot!

Personally I have Llanwenogs as they are prolific but smaller and easier to handle ...  and great nature ..... but dont mention feet to me!!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 06:29:29 pm »
One more pet lamb a spotty tup

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2021, 06:26:17 pm »
So got our 3 ewes today and 5 lambs
The lad advised us on wich ones to get and kids chosen the ones they like am happy with them, 
3 of the lambs are ewes so may keep a couple back for next year

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2021, 12:52:51 am »
Congratulations! 

Piccies much appreciated when you get a chance  :eyelashes:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

vfr400boy

• Joined Jan 2013
  • one life live it
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2021, 07:30:24 am »
Congratulations! 

Piccies much appreciated when you get a chance  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS