Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: poisoning help  (Read 2747 times)

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
poisoning help
« on: June 29, 2020, 09:30:20 pm »
Help needs , my 3month old doe has eaten something poisonous, and is suffering. what is the  urgent treatment ? I've ground down charcoal,and was going to add to cold tea then tube her is this ok?/ others say beer and baking powder

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: poisoning help
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 10:19:17 pm »
What has she eaten, and can you not take her to the vet? At this age she should just travel on your lap, as long as someone else can drive?

And yes, if rhododendron poisoning (or similar) - activated charcoal and strong tea.

Is she being sick?

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2020, 10:19:39 pm »
Black tea.

Rhanson21

• Joined Jun 2020
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2020, 10:50:13 pm »
You need to use activated charcoal, not grilling charcoal. I'm hoping I misunderstood you ground down charcoal. Grilling charcoal has chemicals added to it.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2020, 12:23:04 am »
Thank you Anke for your answers, I was quite desperate at the time of posting. At the time the vet wasn't available. However taking your advice and the vets I crushed charcoal into powder and mixed with tea, and gave slowly by syringe to the side of her mouth. two hours later and she has improved ,no more green stinky gunk, and more stable on her feet. I feel its a remedy. Many thanks
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 12:25:51 am by Belladonna01 »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2020, 02:44:10 pm »
Hope she made it through the night and is better now. Did you manage to identify what she ate?

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 03:31:22 pm »
Glad she's better - however, if your vet was unavailiable for an emergency I think you really need to look for a new vet..!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 06:57:22 pm »
Glad she's better - however, if your vet was unavailiable for an emergency I think you really need to look for a new vet..!

I would give this some thought especially at the current time. You may have been really unlucky that all the vets were out on other emergency calls - it happens. They maybe short staffed with covid, vets shielding etc.

When they got back to you they gave good advice.

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 10:40:35 pm »
Thanks all that gave input. I am guessing she ate Rhodedendrom.   I gave her natural charcoal  crushed in pestle and mortar along with tea. Within two hours there were signs of stability.   The next morning I gave the charcoal mix again,she took hardly any  bottle fedmilk  which she is on having been rejected by the mother, or feed later that day,.By evening i gave her a bunch of oak leaves  which she dived into and devoured  with haste. Since then back to normal. Big worry and panic at the time. Great group ...
 :excited:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2020, 01:10:58 pm »
That's great news, but may I be so rude as to ask why you chose your forum name [member=173181]Belladonna01[/member] ?

Belladonna01

• Joined Aug 2017
  • Swansea
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:14:02 pm »
Strange  question , lol, but named after my dog

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 01:34:40 pm »
Not strange really - Atropa Belladonna is Deadly Nightshade!  Pretty much poisonous to everything.  Your poisoned goat incident simply reminded me that your forum name has that association.  On it's own Belladonna is such a lovely sounding name though.

Edit:  Seems rabbits, some birds and even cows will eat DN berries apparently!!  I have yet to find comment on whether it affects them adversely in any way!   
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 12:52:41 am by arobwk »

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 08:12:29 pm »
Thanks all that gave input. I am guessing she ate Rhodedendrom.   I gave her natural charcoal  crushed in pestle and mortar along with tea. Within two hours there were signs of stability.   The next morning I gave the charcoal mix again,she took hardly any  bottle fedmilk  which she is on having been rejected by the mother, or feed later that day,.By evening i gave her a bunch of oak leaves  which she dived into and devoured  with haste. Since then back to normal. Big worry and panic at the time. Great group ...
 :excited:

Phew.... I am pleased she pulled through - can you eliminiate all rhododendron type plants from your land?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS