Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Goats and Cattle  (Read 1212 times)

123...Goats!

• Joined Jul 2020
Goats and Cattle
« on: July 08, 2020, 02:13:41 pm »
We are looking to purchase some goats for our small farm but have been advised against it because we have cattle and theres apparently a TB risk? Wanted to ask if anyone has advice or opinions on this, is it really that much of a risk if so is there a way to manage it? They're kept separate with a fair distance between them. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Goats and Cattle
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 03:06:59 pm »
You could have the goats TB tested before you brought/moved them? My neighbours do the same with Alpacca

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Goats and Cattle
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 03:58:33 pm »
Dairy goats or Boer/meat goats?

Goats are not in the TB schemes and are not subject to routine testing as is cattle. However DEFRA/APHA can (and does) request them to be tested if there is an outbreak in cattle within a 2.5km (don't quote me on the distance though) area of your farm. If your cattle is on a testing regime then I think they would now request the goats to be tested as well.

You could always request the goats to be tested before delivery, but you may have to pay for it yourself. It would give you peace of mind though especially if the goats come from a higher TB area than you are in.

Some breeders have reported problems in pregnant goats after testing, however I think it all has to do with handling of the goats. My vet takes bloods every year just a couple of weeks before the goats are due to kid for CAE and JOhne's. Never had an issue.

I think Johne's is more of a worry, especially if the goats and cattle share grazing and/or housing. Also ask if the goats are Johne's vaccinated, as they then will need blood tested for TB, but you probably know that anyway. I would defintiely insist on a Johne's test on any goat I would bring in, only a few pedigree breeders do test and/or vaccinate.

Ditto CAE.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS