Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.  (Read 14196 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2020, 12:48:44 am »
[member=152775]arobwk[/member], can't read any of what you are quoting.  You need to do whatever that trick was Dan told Fleecewife...

When you quote something, next click on the blue arrow inside pink parentheses top right above the icon rows. It will look odd as you type your message, but it comes good when you post.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2020, 11:09:55 am »
The Devon and Cornwall programme on tv is because they have run out of the Yorkshire Dales and Lakes repeats.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2020, 11:38:11 am »
I'm in Scotland and I'm shielding.  I'm allowed to drive around 5 ish miles or so. I will need fuel soon and it scares me.  I can't let anyone else take my car for fuel because it is part of my safe place - an extension of my home.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2020, 12:35:12 pm »
The new thoughts are that it is actually better not to use plastic gloves or any other type of glove and to maintain hand washing/gel cleaning instead.

Plastic and hard surfaces hold the virus alive better than soft fabrics where it apparently dies quicker.

By the same reasoning it is believed that plastic aprons are not helpful either, and fabric aprons are believed to be better

I think this is a bit academic, because gloves, masks and pinnies are all single use - while you are wearing them they are potentially infected, but then you throw them away.  The plus point of a plastic pinnie is that it stops liquids getting through to your everyday clothing underneath, which fabric pinnies do not do.  There are no hand washing facilities at the pumps so you would be relying on sanitiser alone - to my mind best to wear gloves, remove before you get inside your can, then sanitise your hands anyway. Nothing is OTT in a pandemic!!  Fabric masks depend on people washing them between wearings, which may not happen.
I think the time difference between viral particles sticking to plastics and to porous surface is something like up to 7 hours on work surfaces, three hours for plastics and a little less for porous surfaces, so basically  not that huge a difference. I quarantine everything that comes into the house for about a week (recommended time is 72 hours min), except packs of fresh veg and fruit; with them I remove the wrapping and toss it, then the inside box and the product should be virus free, depending on how long ago they were harvested, (so they are thoroughly washed before eating just in case, but that would happen anyway).

For getting fuel, I'm shielding too. Mr F fills the car: he wears gloves we supply ourselves and disposes of them in the bin on site.  If there are gloves provided, he puts them on over our own pair for using the pump.  He always goes to a pump which takes cards, and he makes sure there is no-one too close.  You have bag loads of common sense Annie, so don't be scared by this thread, just do what you know is right.  We have no card pumps near us so he fills up when collecting groceries from places like Sainsbury's and Tesco which seem to have card pumps.  If necessary, drive that little bit further to find a refill station you are happy with - you are in your safe place and no-one is checking how far you drive.  If you were by some freakish policy stopped by police, then explain your decision - Cummings did it, you are no different, you are able to look to your own best interests. The Gov text that came through today says, and I quote: <<.. you can safely make choices that reflect your own needs>> So no problem, be in control of your own life  :D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 12:39:23 pm by Fleecewife »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #49 on: June 23, 2020, 01:18:48 pm »
I'm in Scotland and I'm shielding.  I'm allowed to drive around 5 ish miles or so. I will need fuel soon and it scares me.  I can't let anyone else take my car for fuel because it is part of my safe place - an extension of my home.

Annie, if I were nearby I would arrange to meet you at a service station and fill your car and pay for it without you needing to even get out of your car or open the window.  Do you have a friend or neighbour who would do that for you?

Don't underestimate the amount of freaking out your first trip or two out might induce.  I think I've probably had the ruddy virus, there's very little circulating in Cornwall right now (although I know that could change once holidays are allowed), so my actual risk is very small.  Nonetheless, on my first two forays after 11 weeks locked down, I got a bit freaked once and totally freaked once.  It was almost funny in retrospect, my rational self knew the risk was small but my vagal system was almost totally in control, yet my British politeness made me find the strength to first tell the assistant that I knew it wasn't her fault and that they were doing their best before almost screeching, "Now I just need to be OUT of here NOW! How do I get OUT?!"  Back in the car, hyperventilating, I abandoned my plan for going into a second store and fled.  But before I even left the town I had calmed down and decided to try one last foray, and that was fine, even when I literally couldn't get out with my purchases because the one way system in that store meant I had to cross the folks coming in, and they didn't stop coming and there was no wider gap in which I could cross!  ::)  (So again, had to be Not British and ask someone coming in if they could please hold back and let me come out first.  lol)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #50 on: June 23, 2020, 05:50:02 pm »
1 metre + .... any suggestions ?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2020, 06:31:01 pm »
Yes, I AM sensible and my son in law is the Associate Clinical Director of NHS 24 in Scotland so I always get the very best of advice and support - but I have been out in my car twice since our shielding rules changed on Sunday and i was terrified.  Totally irrational - I have never freaked out in my 76 years of life -  ever - but each time I walked the dogs and then couldn't get back home fast enough without breaking any speed limits. 

I have enough fuel for two more runs out at least, so maybe tomorrow I will take courage in both hands and go to my usual filling station at Morrisons.  I might do a dummy run just now when I take the dogs out and suss out what it looks like
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2020, 07:51:43 pm »

Yes.  Keep coughing, I think you will find that people give you plenty of space...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2020, 09:17:19 pm »

Yes.  Keep coughing, I think you will find that people give you plenty of space...

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2020, 09:05:33 am »

The "plus" means ppe I think.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2020, 01:35:32 pm »
I had a quick reccy t Morrisons yesterday on my way home - I can't see any pay at pumps nd ther was a queue.  Might have a look at ASDA tonight

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2020, 03:02:10 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Unfortunately not a ploy I will adopt:  down here, one is more likely to be turned on by a gang of angry nearby shoppers rather than they remove themselves to leave the dairy aisle all to one's self for a bit of casual cheese selection.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2020, 06:20:10 pm »

I have no idea about it - up here we are sticking with 2 metres distance, and I take that as an absolute minimum.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2020, 09:57:24 pm »
Wales seem to be sticking to the 2m rule .......so far anyway!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2020, 10:16:39 pm »

I have no idea about it - up here we are sticking with 2 metres distance, and I take that as an absolute minimum.
Friends visited me today and asked me to move closer than the 3 and a half metres i'd set the seats at - so they didn't have to shout - I moved half a metre  :roflanim: :roflanim:  Maybe they'll say I'm paranoid but hey, do I care?  :innocent:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS