Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.  (Read 14250 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 12:35:37 pm »

We know that unhealthy people get Covid19 and everything else worse. So fix the problem; subsidise raw fruit and veg and meat, fish and unadulterated whole foods. Tax everything else more. If people ate mostly of whole food; more salad and stew less of the biscuits, chicken nuggets, pizza, sweeteners and preservatives, Covid19 would effect individuals and the population less and it would reduce the nhs demand for other health conditions. Ive been advised this is a crazy, dictatorial and completely unworkable plan which would bring the country to its knees and cause enormous social and economic problems.

Unfortunately your solution is too simplistic. For example, I have a genetic condition which has dumped me fair and square in the 'guarding' group.  I eat a really healthy diet and have done for donkey's years.  I don't take any added sugar, I only eat wholemeal grains, loads of veg and fruit, nuts and so on, less meat than most people without being a vegetarian any more and I don't drink alcohol at all - basically all the 'right' things, but still I am frigteningly susceptible to getting this hateful virus, and of dying of it.

Having said that, subsidising healthy food and taxing the bad-for-us stuff is a great idea. If only any Government could see further into the future than the next election we might have some chance of it succeeding - but not in time to save us from this pandemic.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 01:27:33 pm »

We know that unhealthy people get Covid19 and everything else worse. So fix the problem; subsidise raw fruit and veg and meat, fish and unadulterated whole foods. Tax everything else more. If people ate mostly of whole food; more salad and stew less of the biscuits, chicken nuggets, pizza, sweeteners and preservatives, Covid19 would effect individuals and the population less and it would reduce the nhs demand for other health conditions. Ive been advised this is a crazy, dictatorial and completely unworkable plan which would bring the country to its knees and cause enormous social and economic problems.

Unfortunately your solution is too simplistic. For example, I have a genetic condition which has dumped me fair and square in the 'guarding' group.  I eat a really healthy diet and have done for donkey's years.  I don't take any added sugar, I only eat wholemeal grains, loads of veg and fruit, nuts and so on, less meat than most people without being a vegetarian any more and I don't drink alcohol at all - basically all the 'right' things, but still I am frigteningly susceptible to getting this hateful virus, and of dying of it.

Having said that, subsidising healthy food and taxing the bad-for-us stuff is a great idea. If only any Government could see further into the future than the next election we might have some chance of it succeeding - but not in time to save us from this pandemic.

Steph Hen did say "reduce" not eliminate the problem.  Boris did say he wanted people to be healthier going forward. It isn't just about making the easy but unhealthy foods less attractive but people knowing how to actually cook the healthier stuff.

This hard for people for different reasons and I can see that for those shielding going forward is not easy.  :hug:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 04:51:12 pm »
Here's another real-life social distancing scenario:

Little Sis has now re-opened her roofing company's reception/sales counter with distancing marks and screens etc.

To a customer "Please wait there and I'll get your order" ... the customer followed her into the store area regardless saying  "Don't worry, it's not in Cornwall and I haven't got it."

Oh dear !! 

[In passing, naughty me, if anyone in Cornwall/S Devon needs a good roofing contractor (and I mean a really good roofing contractor) you should include MAR Roofing in your short-list for quotes.  There are companies that have started up with look-a-like biz names and copy-cat company livery, but it's MAR Roofing you need to contact.] 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 02:34:13 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2020, 02:28:41 pm »
And where is the Cv-19 R number worst at the moment?  Well, it's in the least affected region so far - the South West.  While I did hear that the latest 0.8-1.1 R score for the SW was affected by a spike in a much smaller area (all a bit vague), I cannot but wonder whether complacency is a key factor ... e.g. not to worry, it's not down here and "I don't have it".

While the rest of you might be enjoying a beverage in a spacious "beer garden" soon, spare a thought !

"Stay alert"   ??? 

[However, hopefully the adverse R score will help counter the massive surge of property enquiries from outside the region (outside Cornwall in particular):  :fc: 
Due to the latter - writing on the wall - there have been some unwelcome suggestions from family members recently that setting up a new family home in France should be considered:  I'll say right now that I'm a Francophobe, but getting rurally lost in the French countryside is sounding just a bit more attractive by the day !!!!!!!]
« Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 05:36:26 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2020, 03:42:14 pm »
Getting back to the original point of this thread:  my MP has passed on a response from Sainsbury's who advised her that, inter alia, they are " ... regularly reminding customers to keep to a safe two metre distance whilst using the pumps."  Well, I know they are NOT !!
Mention was also made of their provision of sanitisers and gloves on forecourts - I wish!  Again porky pies. 
This is not me just having a go at Sainsbury's:  other fuel outlets are no better.  No one seems to have twigged that fuel station pumps actually provide a ready pathway for pathogens to be shared and, as lock-down is eased, that it will become an increasing hazard !!  May I suggest that you don't "Stay Alert" and that, instead you "Don't Forget". 

As it stands however, "Stay Alert"  ???
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 04:10:05 pm by arobwk »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #35 on: June 17, 2020, 07:07:28 pm »
At a largeish garage near here within 15 minutes of refilling all the gloves for the fuel pumps they had been taken by someone.  It is not all the fault of the garage.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2020, 07:16:50 pm »
or, Buttermilk, was that just an excuse offered by the garage when they have simply not bothered to monitor glove dispensers? 
« Last Edit: June 17, 2020, 07:18:36 pm by arobwk »

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2020, 12:41:34 pm »
or, Buttermilk, was that just an excuse offered by the garage when they have simply not bothered to monitor glove dispensers?
I watched the man at the pump next to me empty the box at his pump.  When at the till I told them they said it happened every day.  They said that they had put out paper towels instead and they too got taken.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2020, 01:31:15 pm »
At a largeish garage near here within 15 minutes of refilling all the gloves for the fuel pumps they had been taken by someone.  It is not all the fault of the garage.

Doesn't surprise me when hand sanitisers were ripped off hospital walls that someone would pinch gloves.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #39 on: June 18, 2020, 05:07:21 pm »
Some people are very scared of the whole thing. This sort of behaviour seems very selfish and foolish, but for some this them just trying to protect their loved ones. My mum was able to give some disposable gloves she had to her neighbour who was a carer and provided with none. The neighbour was extremely grateful. I think we can be too quick to ‘turn’ on fellow people who are all dealing with this differently. It’s not like BP don’t have any funding behind them to provide more. The amount of fumes and bits of fuel residue on pump handles probably keeps them pretty clean of biologicals anyway.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2020, 07:33:47 pm »
Steph Hen, your 1st sentence below may well be true (almost certainly true actually), but there's no excuse for being selfish in circumstances like these (I reckon anyway)!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 07:35:49 pm by arobwk »

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 08:54:24 pm »
....... However, hopefully the adverse R score will help counter the massive surge of property enquiries from outside the region (outside Cornwall in particular):  :fc:   Due to the latter - writing on the wall - there have been some unwelcome suggestions from family members recently that setting up a new family home in France should be considered:  I'll say right now that I'm a Francophobe, but getting rurally lost in the French countryside is sounding just a bit more attractive by the day !!!!!!!]
Did anyone consult us?  Channel 4 are right now broadcasting a "Devon and Cornwall" programme. For goodness sake;  why not a "Highlands and Lowlands" or whatever and whatever?  Please do, when conditions permit, come pitch a tent or a caravan, but, otherwise .....
The extreme SW is not the only nice bit of the UK:  please go check out other areas as well - property elsewhere will likely be much cheaper actually !!!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 10:45:00 pm by arobwk »

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 09:02:52 pm »
[member=152775]arobwk[/member], can't read any of what you are quoting.  You need to do whatever that trick was Dan told Fleecewife...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2020, 09:12:41 pm »
For my convenience [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member] , here's a paste of the quote which was from one of my own posts:

"[However, hopefully the adverse R score will help counter the massive surge of property enquiries from outside the region (outside Cornwall in particular):  Due to the latter - writing on the wall - there have been some unwelcome suggestions from family members recently that setting up a new family home in France should be considered:  I'll say right now that I'm a Francophobe, but getting rurally lost in the French countryside is sounding just a bit more attractive by the day !!!!!!!]"

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 09:22:31 pm »
The new thoughts are that it is actually better not to use plastic gloves or any other type of glove and to maintain hand washing/gel cleaning instead.

Plastic and hard surfaces hold the virus alive better than soft fabrics where it apparently dies quicker.

By the same reasoning it is believed that plastic aprons are not helpful either, and fabric aprons are believed to be better
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS