Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.  (Read 14200 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 06:42:09 pm »
Thanks [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]

Otherwise, clearly some interesting times ahead when some folk couldn't care less about anyone else, don't actually read what's written and aren't actually listening to the "message".  Oh well!

Rest assured though:  I go nowhere without my own disposable gloves, mask and 80% alcohol spray and seemingly I am only too prepared to take ownership of the issues for my benefit as well as for the benefit of others !!

Good news from Scotland today, but "Stay Alert"  ???

They are now saying gloves spread the virus and we shouldn't wear them.

Only if we use them stupidly, like putting them on at home and not taking them off till we get home again.

Our local service station has a dispenser of the lightweight plastic gloves right by the pumps.  You stop, get out of your car and get it ready for the fuel, without touching anything except your car, then pull out two gloves and put them on, put the fuel in the car and don't touch anything of your own while you are still wearing the gloves.  Put the fuel dispenser back in its slot and then remove and discard the gloves.  In my case I then go into the store with my hands in my pockets, use my phone to pay so I don't have to touch anything in the store, and return to my car. 

A slight modification to the procedure would be required if paying at the pump, possibly involving a second pair of gloves.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 07:56:21 pm »
I went to fill up about months ago - checked for the plastic  gloves - it was empty - the sign said "if empty please notify a member of staff". All of them were empty. So I used the paper towel to touch the dispenser etc. Went to pay m, said to them there's no gloves and they said they don't have any either  :thinking:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2020, 08:46:08 pm »
Thanks [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]

Otherwise, clearly some interesting times ahead when some folk couldn't care less about anyone else, don't actually read what's written and aren't actually listening to the "message".  Oh well!

Rest assured though:  I go nowhere without my own disposable gloves, mask and 80% alcohol spray and seemingly I am only too prepared to take ownership of the issues for my benefit as well as for the benefit of others !!

Good news from Scotland today, but "Stay Alert"  ???

Only if we use them stupidly, like putting them on at home and not taking them off till we get home again.

Our local service station has a dispenser of the lightweight plastic gloves right by the pumps.  You stop, get out of your car and get it ready for the fuel, without touching anything except your car, then pull out two gloves and put them on, put the fuel in the car and don't touch anything of your own while you are still wearing the gloves.  Put the fuel dispenser back in its slot and then remove and discard the gloves.  In my case I then go into the store with my hands in my pockets, use my phone to pay so I don't have to touch anything in the store, and return to my car. 

A slight modification to the procedure would be required if paying at the pump, possibly involving a second pair of gloves.

Our garage has never been without gloves and I have worked out how to use them  :innocent: I only need one glove to fill up. 

If all you are going to do is fill up your car then a pair of disposable gloves doesn't seem too bad. Say you have to go to work, drop your child off at school on the way, pick up said child at end of school, fill up the car and grab some shopping, then which bits need gloves and so how many pairs of disposables in a day or just stick with sanitiser and handwashing? If so do we need gloves at the pumps or should we just sanitise?

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2020, 10:26:51 pm »
I came back to my thread this eve with the intention of removing it.  Mmm - I've decided not to after-all !

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2020, 11:12:55 pm »

That's only if you put a pair of gloves on and then keep them on, thus spreading potential contamination from the petrol pump to your shopping trolley, etc etc.

I now have a collection of disposable gloves in the car. If I put one on to use a petrol pump say, I put it behind the front seat when I take it off. The virus can only survive for so long on surfaces, so after a few days, it can go back in the clean pile to be worn again.

If you wear a fresh glove for each new place or task, that's fine IMO.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2020, 11:44:24 pm »
It's not only gloves which are not being worn correctly. I am not allowed out at all so I don't see real life, but on TV it seems to be 'the done thing' to pull your mask down under your chin when speaking to someone, including being interviewed.  That makes a mockery of the whole thing, when you are spraying saliva droplets over the person you are speaking to, they are doing the same to you, your mask is covered in spit on both sides and it is spread over your face and hands when (if) you replace it.  I saw a new take, where someone had folded his mask neatly so it caught the drips under his nose, but left his mouth free.
I think that perhaps, in spite of people the world over now wearing masks and gloves, some people still feel a bit silly and self conscious wearing them.  After all, with The Trumpeter setting us all such a good example by flatly refusing to wear a mask purely for reasons of personal vanity and his own sense of immortality, what message are we actually receiving?
Apologies, not totally on topic, because I haven't been to a petrol station since the end of March.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 09:37:11 am »
I came back to my thread this eve with the intention of removing it.  Mmm - I've decided not to after-all !

I think it is a really good thread because going out and attempting normal tasks isn't normal anymore. I feel pretty lucky that I live in a quiet rural location and don't have to go out that often and it is still fairly quiet but over time that will change.

Taking a single task and doing it in a way that protects you and others isn't that hard. For many more people their days and journeys will be far more complicated to complete safely even with masks, gloves and sanitisers.

We worry about a petrol pump because we know several people have touched it before us but whilst you were in paying someone could have sneezed walking past your car door.  I can't imagine having to use public transport.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 09:47:36 am »
Taking a single task and doing it in a way that protects you and others isn't that hard.

I think I'd clarify that to say doing *my* bit of it isn't hard (I'm also getting about three months to the gallon just now). The problem is that I'm also dependent on other people doing their bit, and compliance is patchy to say the least.

Given that we have no control over other people, that is bound to cause stress, as described beautifully in this thread.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 12:40:10 pm »
My point was that the more tasks you have to do, involving more surfaces and more people, makes the whole compliance thing much harder. And the harder it is the less likely people comply, because for some people their reality is that they have to go to work or take children to school, shop for themselves etc. For some people the greater risk is not catching Covid but losing their job or house.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 02:48:44 pm »
For some people the greater risk is not catching Covid but losing their job or house.

For everybody in the "economically active" age group (as in under 65) that is exactly the point. In Scotland less than 10% of Covid deaths are people aged under 65 - LESS THAN 10 %. (360 out of 4000 to be exact).

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2020, 03:52:15 pm »
That's right. But I'm not sat at home right now for my sake - I'm here for my parents and all their pals.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2020, 04:15:46 pm »
That's right. But I'm not sat at home right now for my sake - I'm here for my parents and all their pals.

My parents are more worried about their grandchildren's education, jobs and houses than catching Covid. I have friends more worried that they can't access cancer treatment at the moment than catching Covid.
We have to find a way to live with Covid because it may never go away.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 06:01:56 pm »

My parents are more worried about their grandchildren's education, jobs and houses than catching Covid. I have friends more worried that they can't access cancer treatment at the moment than catching Covid.
We have to find a way to live with Covid because it may never go away.

Exactly - if we don't get an effective vaccine (or treatment) soon - what choice have we got?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2020, 09:34:37 am »
Im not sure about gloves, hand gel, social distancing. There’s too much back chat and contradiction. Face masks are only effective for half an hour? Two hours, not effective? Or Leave them for health care workers? Joggers or sneezes need around 8m social distancing or is just 1m enough for everyone? Or does it remain essentially air borne with sufficient people in crowded places? I spent years working in a genetics lab so am very aware of cross contamination, many people aren’t and I’ve seen lots of mouth touching. I don’t trust government advice much because it’s marred with policy rather than science led. Other countries might do masks or temp checks, so this is brought up by the media and they have to defend not doing it or endorse it.

We know that unhealthy people get Covid19 and everything else worse. So fix the problem; subsidise raw fruit and veg and meat, fish and unadulterated whole foods. Tax everything else more. If people ate mostly of whole food; more salad and stew less of the biscuits, chicken nuggets, pizza, sweeteners and preservatives, Covid19 would effect individuals and the population less and it would reduce the nhs demand for other health conditions. Ive been advised this is a crazy, dictatorial and completely unworkable plan which would bring the country to its knees and cause enormous social and economic problems.

I’m mostly worried about everyone’s sanity and especially that of children. My children are small, 3 and nearly 6. Every developmental book I have read says that unstructured, child led play and peer interaction is important. It isn’t possible to socially distance small children while letting them play together. Four months, six months, maybe eight months of this; all are large chunks of time for three year olds. Adults, teenagers and older children can understand social distancing but little ones can’t, so parents are faced with a dilemma, either flout the rules and let them play, or have small children isolated for large chunks of time, critical to their mental development.

Sorry this wasn’t meant to be an off topic rant at all, but I’ve no one to talk to and got carried away.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 12:10:40 pm »

I don't think it is off topic at all because it is all part of the topic of Covid safety and I think you raise really good points.

Mouth touching - it is something you do without thinking. You can't think Covid all the time because everyone has distractions. I've done it myself.

We will feel the associated effects of lockdown and the regulations for years and that is not meant to detract from the awful, direct affect of Covid for many families but it is also a reality. Interesting what you say about the nations health status and addressing that "
Ive been advised this is a crazy, dictatorial and completely unworkable plan which would bring the country to its knees and cause enormous social and economic problems.
" Rather sums up the Covid situation really  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS