Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.  (Read 14211 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.
« on: June 07, 2020, 05:40:29 pm »
I am not happy about social distancing (i.e. lack of measures) at vehicle fuelling outlets:  I have not come across a 'garage' forecourt yet where simultaneous use of both sides of double-sided pumps has been restricted!

A Sainsbury's assistant (on a forecourt without pay-at-pump facility as it happens) advised me that they "have permission" to continue to allow side by side fuel dispensing at double-sided pumps.  I checked the Sainsbury's website where they say they are following the social distancing rules (still 2m as far as I know) at their fuelling outlets - well, obviously they are not!  (I can't find a way of contacting them to clarify their position/question them.)

Nor are any other local outlets, that I've come across, restricting pump use:  they [size=78%]are all allowing fuelling from double-sided pump stations, which means many folk are standing nearby each other while fuelling their vehicles for many minutes with less than 2m between them (with or without a face mask - I've yet to see anyone mask-up for fuel to date).  [/size]

I asked someone today, who took up the opposite side of my pump with their fuel-cap next to the pump, whether they would mind waiting just a few minutes to refuel, to allow social distancing, as I was almost finished refuelling my car.  The response was  "No - I don't care!"  Yep, that is actually what he said and there was, as a result of the "I don't care" a very acrimonious verbal exchange between myself and the f*ing idiot.  (I regret to say that his children heard their father being called all sorts of things - I hadn't noticed, at first, that he had children on board and then that they had the car windows open - oops!)

Anybody have any thoughts on this generally and has anybody come across a forecourt that prevents side-by-side refuelling at a double-sided pump or might have installed extra shielding between each side of a double-sided pump station ??

In meantime, I have sent a request to my MP for clarification on any Gov' advice on this matter (as there is nothing on Gov web-sites) and I've suggested that there seems to have been an oversight as regards guidance about maintaining social distancing on 'garage' forecourts.

>:(

« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 08:25:22 pm by arobwk »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Garage (fuel) forecourts - social distancing at the pumps.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2020, 07:43:08 pm »

I haven't seen any restrictions.  Is it because when you are filling up you tend to be facing down the side of your vehicle with half an eye on the cost and half an eye on the fuel pump rather than facing directly across at someone?

Our local garage supplied gloves from the outset and are always disinfecting the pump handles.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2020, 08:15:59 pm »
And there's another thing - no gloves left at the pump and no disinfection of the pump areas what so ever!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2020, 08:25:14 pm »
Just a thought - can you drive to the "wrong" side of the pump? That way you'd only have to be within 2m (not that there's anything magical about that distance of course) for a very brief time, which you could probably judge for when they're not there?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2020, 08:41:57 pm »
Just a thought - can you drive to the "wrong" side of the pump? That way you'd only have to be within 2m (not that there's anything magical about that distance of course) for a very brief time, which you could probably judge for when they're not there?

Thanks for the thought Womble, but, since the pandemic I've always parked up on the "wrong" side of the pump.  However, I think, why should I have to get close to some unknown person, who could cough or splutter while I'm hanging up the nozzle and (normally) waiting for my pay@pump receipt.

(If someone is already fuelling the other side of a pump I have to use, I simply wait 'til they've finished their fuelling ops b4 I go anywhere near the pump !!  But then there's the next one to drive into that fuelling point to contend with b4 I've finished filling up.)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2020, 09:11:44 pm by arobwk »

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2020, 10:33:14 pm »
To be fair when you are on the other side of the pump you are 2 metres away from the other person, unless you are both hugging the pump. 2 metres is not a lot to be honest  ;)
Most people queueing in the supermarkets are standing 4-5 metres apart  :)
Just dont touch the pump or the payment device without the plastic gloves or paper towel provided.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2020, 12:25:40 am »
Well macgro7, I'm an excellent judge of a 2m distance and I'm not happy standing opposite someone filling their tank up the other side of the pump or, at a pay@pump pump, going through a transaction at same time as someone the other side. 

ZacB

• Joined Apr 2012
  • Suffolk
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2020, 07:01:08 am »
Well buy some of your own disposable gloves & ensure you stand away from the filler unit while others are present..............sorted.
Take some ownership of the issues & hopefully things can move on.

Blondie

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2020, 07:27:07 am »
To be honest it’s not something that has bothered me, but then I’m female, no health conditions and under 44 so have the lowest level of risk  :-\

At a small Tesco express with petrol, they did have every other pump blocked off at the start, but I’m sure last time I drove past they were all open? 

I just carry a bottle of hand sanitiser in my bag. Sanitise before pumping. Pump. Hand sanitiser again before getting in the car.

Government information says you can break the 2m social distancing when needed for less than 15 minutes. Plus your outside so risk is even lower.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 08:24:39 am »
Wow ! you need fuel ?
I've been getting 3 months to the gallon recently ! ( yes yes I know , its getting a little old now )
may I suggest gloves /mask/hold your breath/go elsewhere/dont park so close to the pump

Well buy some of your own disposable gloves & ensure you stand away from the filler unit while others are present..............sorted.
Take some ownership of the issues & hopefully things can move on.
This

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 09:49:17 am »
[member=152775]arobwk[/member] have a virtual (and so, safe)  :hug:  or three   :hug: :hug: :hug:

Guys, be kind.  This is tough for us all, in different ways.  I have been going out and about a bit for a week now, and am getting used to it (having not left the farm, apart from walking on the local lanes a bit to keep the dog's toenails trimmed, for 11 weeks), but the first time I went out to places I had to go in to, I completely freaked out in the agri merchant's.  And I think I've had the ruddy virus, so what did I have to get freaked about?!?  It's not always logical, and that's ok  :hug:

So, arobwk, I would agree that, sadly, we do all have to take responsibility for our own safety, so would just say that you have an absolute right to do whatever it takes to keep yourself safe.  So if someone approaches the pump on the opposite side to you while you are paying, move aside until they are done.  You could also contact the service station and ask them to put up a notice reminding people to be aware and to not come close to a pump while there is someone close on the other side.  Stay safe  :-*

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2020, 09:58:07 am »
No, it is a bit freaky.

I filled up with fuel yesterday for the first time since February, and was the only person wearing gloves or seemingly paying any attention to distancing. People seem to forget that just because they don't care, other people do, and as such it's the least we can all do to be courteous and kind.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 11:51:40 am »
No, it is a bit freaky.

I filled up with fuel yesterday for the first time since February, and was the only person wearing gloves or seemingly paying any attention to distancing. People seem to forget that just because they don't care, other people do, and as such it's the least we can all do to be courteous and kind.
It still grinds my gears  that I see on the news demonstrations / sightseers en masse / street parties / politicians / Tesco delivery drivers * all failing to follow the rules. I've been stuck at home for 12 weeks  doing  as I've been told to do.
* this isnt helped by the Tesco delivery driver disregarding his delivery notes, the notice on the closed and barred gate at the top of the road , who then instead of leaving the stuff at the gate forces it open and drives down to the house and with a cheery  " 'ello mate " tries to hand  the bags to me  :roflanim:

He may have missed the memo.......

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 02:37:30 pm »
Thanks [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]

Otherwise, clearly some interesting times ahead when some folk couldn't care less about anyone else, don't actually read what's written and aren't actually listening to the "message".  Oh well!

Rest assured though:  I go nowhere without my own disposable gloves, mask and 80% alcohol spray and seemingly I am only too prepared to take ownership of the issues for my benefit as well as for the benefit of others !!

Good news from Scotland today, but "Stay Alert"  ???
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 02:53:12 pm by arobwk »

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 06:32:52 pm »
Thanks [member=10673]SallyintNorth[/member]

Otherwise, clearly some interesting times ahead when some folk couldn't care less about anyone else, don't actually read what's written and aren't actually listening to the "message".  Oh well!

Rest assured though:  I go nowhere without my own disposable gloves, mask and 80% alcohol spray and seemingly I am only too prepared to take ownership of the issues for my benefit as well as for the benefit of others !!

Good news from Scotland today, but "Stay Alert"  ???

They are now saying gloves spread the virus and we shouldn't wear them.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS