Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: This year's swallows  (Read 18725 times)

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
This year's swallows
« on: April 09, 2020, 11:54:49 am »
Have just seen my first swallow of the year. So excited!  :sunshine:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: This year's swallows
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 12:07:47 pm »
Lovely!  I was just wondering when someone would spot a swallow.  Up here it will be at least a week before they arrive, and last year they didn't arrive with us until early May.

The Ospreys have just about all arrived, although the female at Loch of the Lowes didn't turn up so a new female has moved in there.
At Arkaig, both Louis and Aila arrived safely a few days ago and are busy sprucing up their nest and re-establishing their bonds.  I watch them on a live camera which is addictive  ::) ;D
https://www.woodlandtrust.org.uk/trees-woods-and-wildlife/osprey-cam/
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 12:11:07 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 02:16:09 pm »
Yes-webcams can be addictive. I am currently watching the one which films the swans at Wells Cathedral. They have laid 9 eggs this year and have just started incubating. It is really relaxing watching them at the end of the day.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »
We saw our first two days ago, but I think it carried on going.  Saw another three this morning though, and I can't tell you how happy it made me.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:32:13 pm »
Looking to the skies , fingers crossed, box of tumble drier lint placed in usual position, covers on the chest freezer lids, and when they arrive ,you can stuff 'yer covid19 , all will be well here.

Edited to add;
just had phone call that mate at 39 Eng Reg't at Kinloss reports arrivals this afternoon   :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 06:38:01 pm by Rupert the bear »

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 08:15:53 pm »
covers on the chest freezer lids

A few years ago, I cut a number of squares out of light plywood, and put a string from each corner, as if they were kites.

Now, when we see the swallows nesting, we can hang a 'square' under the nest to catch the crap!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 09:12:23 pm »
covers on the chest freezer lids

A few years ago, I cut a number of squares out of light plywood, and put a string from each corner, as if they were kites.

Now, when we see the swallows nesting, we can hang a 'square' under the nest to catch the crap!

I am nicking that idea ! Brilliant !

graemeatwellbank

• Joined Jun 2016
  • Blairgowrie
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 07:16:00 am »
Similar to Womble, I use a small rectangle of aviary mesh suspended by wire under the nests with paper or card on it which is subsequently gets replaced and the dirty one goes straight onto the compost heap.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2020, 09:22:11 am »
The one that I saw was flying in a northerly direction at quite some speed. It may well be with you all in Scotland by now. :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28:26 pm »
Ours are back today,  hassling hubby while he was working in the barn, hard to abandon work he was doing ??? ?. (Any excuse)
Seem to be about a week earlier this year?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:30:18 pm by Penninehillbilly »

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2020, 11:42:07 pm »
Can I just mention a warning about dryer lint, apparently they have found it causes problems in nests and with fledglings, not sure if it's the same with undercover nests, but problems when it gets wet. A search on birds nest dryer lint brings websites up.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2020, 06:48:11 pm »
Can I just mention a warning about dryer lint, apparently they have found it causes problems in nests and with fledglings, not sure if it's the same with undercover nests, but problems when it gets wet. A search on birds nest dryer lint brings websites up.
A good point, luckily ours all nest indoors , and they are not adverse to plundering next doors fences for wool !

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2020, 07:02:53 pm »
Haven't seen ours today, maybe they just stopped by to see what their old homestead looked like.
Hope they come back and weren't too cross with hubby.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:18 pm »
Still no swallows here  :( .  Looking at the forecast, we are due easterlies, or north easterlies, for the next 12 days.  The first southerlies are not due until the 29th, so any swallows trying to arrive before that will have a long flap into wind to get here.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 12:22:27 pm »
Still no swallows here  :( .  Looking at the forecast, we are due easterlies, or north easterlies, for the next 12 days.  The first southerlies are not due until the 29th, so any swallows trying to arrive before that will have a long flap into wind to get here.
Same here, been looking out every time I am near the goat shed.... but none so far.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS