Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land Rovers  (Read 20053 times)

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
Land Rovers
« on: October 28, 2010, 10:24:51 pm »
Ok I have to admit to having the Land Rover disease. I just love them, especially old ones. I've had many over the years all of them working vehicles not molly coddled "classic cars" as some people seem to see them. I've currently got a 1977 series 3 109 that's my everyday transport and there's a stripped down 110 in the garage waiting to be rebuilt on a new chassis. They're the perfect smallholder wheels I reckon. Anybody else into landies?

Sandy

Re: Land Rovers
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 11:07:32 pm »
I am but sadly no money to buy one, you should see my car!!! I am not sure why I like them so much but if I came into loads of ££ I would get one beaten up a bit on the outside with a realy luch interior and BIG engine so I could bash it about and shock people!!! I can only wish  ;)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 11:53:21 pm »
We used to have an old Volvo like that - the ancient roundy kind.  It looked ready for the scrappy on the outside but went like greased weasels  ;D  We also had an Irish Wolfhound at the time who sat in the back, with her head out of one window and her tail out the other side, as we bombed down the motorways.

OH and I have the Land Rover bug.  I have a 1951 Series 1 80" imported from NZ (a fraction of the cost of buying one here and no rust as they don't salt their roads), which is the farm runaround, plus OH has a couple of Series 3s, one about to be renovated, the other in full use for heavier stuff.  Then there's the one in the brambles, for parts for the other two.
You can see the Kiwi on our website www.scothebs.co.uk under 'other interests'.
Old Landrovers are desperately uncomfortable over the bumps and you have to shout to be heard, but there's nothing else like them.  Eeh - makes you proud to be British  ::)
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

cooper956

• Joined Dec 2009
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 09:23:15 am »
iv had a few  ;D s2 swb,range rover clasic se,discovery xs.discos 200 auto and many more of my m8s have passed though the place.

but curently still have 109 truck cab 2.8 td dihatsu powered beast, daily driver 2002 defender 110 double cab (replaced the disco xs this year) and last but not least a 1952 s1 80" curently in the shed waiting for me to get time to finish striping it and welding her back up  before geting her road worthy again.

then there is mmy mums freelander and my gf has a freelander (although she keeps wanting to sell it lol)
you could say i am landy mad do a bit of offroading here and there and on the farm and couldnt live without  a landy to tow everything about

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:35:51 pm »
We've got Randy the Landy, who is an old Defender 90.

He's a bit rattly and rough round the edges, but he just has that unbeatable "go-anywhere-ability" about him!

We just had him fitted with the latest sound proofing gadgetry too. It's apparently called an "Exhaust pipe", and you'd be amazed how well it works. It's so good in fact that I can now drive around without wearing ear plugs, for the first time in months!  ;D

Womble.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 08:18:27 pm »
We're rather fond of Series Land Rovers too - I have an ex military Series 3 and a Series2A, with another awaiting restoration & yet another for spares.

They're noisy & uncomfortable, but keep on going & endear themselves to you.

John

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 11:57:54 pm »
I remember my farming friends mum picking us up from schoool in one and it was a 4 mile ride home but boy I felt sick!!! LUV UM THOU!

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 01:01:59 pm »
I had a S2A 109" ex-military, 1 ton payload station-wagon. Had it from about 1998-2007. it was scraped and creased and dented (I bought it originally to 'play with'); I put a rover V8 3.5L engine in to it as the original 2.25 petrol was a bit wishy-washy. I then put a fairy overdrive in, and then ('cos of the cost of petrol) I converted to LPG. It would do 100ish  :o if you dared! (speedo only went up to 75 so that's a guess)

It was roasting in the summer; freezing in the winter (despite adding a 2nd heater from a rangerover); and when it was wet & windy it would rain on my right earhole, via the gaps around the door!

The one-ton rated leafsprings were lubricated with ground rust - the grease having been washed out years before, so they only started to work once you got a ton in the back.

Had to weld it up for every other MOT  :( , was always repairing something, or adding oil somewhere, or replacing halfshafts (rear axle wasn't designed for the V8! (or my right foot  ;) ) ), and it had a turning circle that would impress the captain of an oil tanker.

But it was still the best vehicle I've ever owned.  :D

then one day in may 2007, a drink driver passed out at the wheel of his Merc and came out of the on-coming traffic at me - Hit me head on doing 60mph and still accelerating!  >:( Crumpled the chassis (except the bits that I had welded - I used 3mm plate), Bent the front axle into a banana shape, smashed the gearbox, and pushed the floor up under the pedals - but me and the dog got out without a mark on us!!  :) Sadly though there wasn't anything to be done with the landy, except try and get the B******ds at the insurance company to give me anything like what it was worth (their first offer was £300 - excess!!  :o).

I would like another one, but I don't know if it could replace the original - I'd put a lot of work into it and knew its every nook and cranny  :-[.

mab

clumbaboy

• Joined Aug 2009
  • Gretna
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:29:22 pm »
Old Landies are great.  I've got a 1973 series 2 petrol, nicknamed the grommet, painted matt nato green, by hand, keeps washing off (previous owner) and have been offered another one for nowt as the owner wants some space back. It is a complete workhorse and looks like a chrimbo tree at night with all the different coloured lights that I have fitted for night shooting. ;D :wave:
waiting for some really cold wet weather to see if my weather proofing of my electrics was really worth it, time will tell

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 05:57:19 pm »
I just got a new defender 90,,,,well,,,it's new to me,1995 300tdi with low mileage and very tidy for it's age. I'll need to get it waxoiled so a visit to Auchterarder is on the cards for Strathallan motors to do the work for me.
It has replaced my old 1975 series 3 109", the chassis of which needed too much welding.
Have to get a livestock trailer now but can't really afford one at the minute.

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 06:04:49 pm »
On my third! Love me landies!
Lynn :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 06:20:58 pm »
We've got two, a 110 LWB ex utility hard top TD5 scruffy workhorse, which I lurrve although dont love the fact that the bottom drivers door hinge has dissolved... awaiting part for that one!
And a canvas top series II diesel which runs but is SORnd as we have converted her into a mobile water bowser for the fields! She has a 1000 litre IBC bolted onto the back truck part, on very solid planks but we still only ever fill it half/two thirds full given the weight of all that water! She is an angel of mercy!

I used to have a petrol 90 as well but sold that as couldnt afford petrol landy and a roof over my head!

They just have SOUL! And the TD5 was left last winter in -20 degrees and 3 feet of snow (we are in Cairngorms) and started first time once I dug my way in :-)))

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 06:36:09 pm »
Landrover the make, not the model being mentioned here sooooooo.....

Ah! The snobbery factor! Love mine!!!!!! Who cares that they have bad press, cost WAYYYY too much, and are prone to breakdowns. If you get a good un keep ahold of it.......

:-*   :bouquet:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 07:04:02 pm »
i love mine, my partner was talking about trading her in for a newer vehicle i said NO i drive her, im happy with her, were keeping her.
she is still with us  :wave:

ser3dan

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »
Another one here - I've got a 1998 Discovery, in fact if anyone sees a white 3 door 300Tdi Discovery heading North on Friday, give us a wave!  ;D
I rebuilt a Series 3 with a galvanised chassis, parobolic springs and polybushes. Rebuilt the engine, gearbox, axles, propshafts and sourced straight original body panels, When finished it looked like it had just rolled off the assembly line.I also had a totally original, unrestored Series 1 waiting in the wings for restoration. Unfortunately, I had to sell them when I got divorced - but there will be others, I'm sure of it!  :D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS