Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Land Rovers  (Read 20081 times)

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
Re: Land Rovers
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 04:58:19 pm »
...but they're now packed with electronics and sensors.  I'm happy to be proved wrong but I suspect they will be too expensive to keep going some time after about 15 years old, maybe sooner.  Scrappage on you come. 

i have a 22yr old pajero that is my daily drive, and i take it offroad too. comfort with durability, and fun!
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2010, 11:18:56 pm »
lol - Womble and your exhaust.  Its the same with me - if it falls off and it still runs - it isnt needed.

Well bizarrely it even passed the MOT without it, so it can't be that important surely?   ;)   Actually, I suspect they may even have stuck the emissions probe into the end that was still hanging on, despite there not being anything left of the middle section...... well it would explain the low reading at least  ;D.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 12:17:49 am »
lol - Womble and your exhaust.  Its the same with me - if it falls off and it still runs - it isnt needed.

Well bizarrely it even passed the MOT without it, so it can't be that important surely?   ;)   Actually, I suspect they may even have stuck the emissions probe into the end that was still hanging on, despite there not being anything left of the middle section...... well it would explain the low reading at least  ;D.

:D :D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 09:33:43 pm »
please can anyone help a damsel in distress!!!!!!!!!!!

my srs light is permanently on in my landrover freelander hse td4

has anyone any idea what might be causing it? and is there anything i can try without taking it to landrover dealership?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 06:13:20 pm »
Sorry I don't even know what srs is. My landies are still firmly in the half inch spanner and a lump hammer era.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 06:44:15 pm »
I'm sure it's to do with the seatbelt pretensioner system.

I'd take it to your dealer & have them reset the codes as the system has found a fault.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 06:52:14 pm by Daveravey »

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 07:00:43 pm »
thank you  :wave:

waterhouse

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2010, 01:21:51 am »
I think SRS is supplementary restraint system otherwise known as airbags.  We had the warning light repeatedly coming on and it was poor connections in the wiring loom.  Took forever to find.

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2010, 08:47:04 am »
I've just got my 1977 series 3 109 back on the road after fitting a turbo diesel engine in place of the original 2286cc lump. All I can say is "WOW". I don't know why I didn't do it ages ago, it absolutely flies. It will go up the hill outside my place in top gear now where I used to be in 2nd ;D

waterhouse

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:23 pm »
Well done! 

I have no happy memories of that engine at all.  I had no power and was a pig to start in winter.  When the engine pull-to-stop broke off we used to have to stall it to park.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2010, 07:36:49 am »
>We had to stall it to park....

LOL!  I'm showing my ignorance here, but can somebody confirm how you actually stop a diesel engine, i.e. what action is it that the system takes to make it stop so quickly?  Is it just the fuel stop solenoid, or other things as well?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Fergie

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2010, 09:06:14 pm »
>We had to stall it to park....

LOL!  I'm showing my ignorance here, but can somebody confirm how you actually stop a diesel engine, i.e. what action is it that the system takes to make it stop so quickly?  Is it just the fuel stop solenoid, or other things as well?

You cut off the fuel supply to stop the engine.  On older diesels, such as Series 2A Land Rovers, (or tractors) this is by pulling a stop cable connected to the injector pump, on newer cars an electric solenoid will do the job when the ignition key is switched off.  Either way, the fuel injection is cut off and the engine stops immediately.

John

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2010, 08:04:18 am »
I have two Discos - technically anyway.. the 1993 (last of the 200s) has been lying at the mechanic's up the road for a couple of years on a SORN as the welding to get through its MOT would have been more than the vehicle was worth.  It also had no clip to keep the gearstick centred so changing gears started between 1-2 and finding 3 and 5 at the right time was a matter of trial, guesswork and luck  ;)  I loved it too much to take his offer of £100 to scrap it and keep meaning to phone one of those numbers in the Scottish Farmer that advertise for old Landies in any condition or, if I do find somewhere to move to, to have it as a "field tractor".  Problem is the tyres have probably gone meantime sitting there so long  ::)

My current one is a TD5 (02) which I was lucky to get very cheaply due to high mileage and lack of a service book, but knowing where it had been cared for (same mechanic).  The guy it came from had a business and I reckon had also written it down on his tax so it was effectively paid for.  It has been fab these last couple of years but now I don't have an income its maintenance costs and fuel are a bit scary  :o

Problem is after a Disco I find sitting in wee cars very scary too - can't see out of my gate or over the hedge to get out on the main road and I'm just used to having it to get about.  In winter I do need it to get hay etc to my hill ponies as the lane up there isn't always gritted and can be knee deep in snow for a week or two at a time, last year particularly so..  Theoretically I also need it to tow as I sold my wee Fiat Punto commuting car and my 7.5 tonne Bedford TL horsebox to get the first Disco, but I can't get my head around towing due to the gate angles here so I never did get the stock trailer I planned to ::)

Maybe when I move.. ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2010, 07:47:14 pm »
Hey ellied put the old disco on ebay. You'll get 500 quid for it no problem. Or strip it and sell the parts yourself. Engine 250 to 400 quid for a tdi, gearbox and transfer box 100 quid, all the electrical bits will sell easy etc, etc. Then scrap the chassis and bodyshell for another 150 quid or so. The bloke who offered you 100 quid for it was taking the piss.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2010, 10:31:16 am »
Thanks Hughesy I am waiting for it to be delivered home on a trailer and will then advertise it as it is - my mechanical skills to strip it are non existent but I'll see if I can get £500 as that will keep the current Disco on the road a bit longer, thanks :)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS