Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Calciject 20 no 6 alternatives  (Read 4227 times)

crobertson

• Joined Sep 2015
Calciject 20 no 6 alternatives
« on: March 11, 2020, 02:48:28 pm »
Out of curiosity what are folks keeping in stock rather than the Calciject 20 no 6 which has now been discontinued?

I threw an unopened, expired bottle away last week (exp.2018), when I've come to replace it in the lambing kit I believe there now isn't an alternative.

The guys in Carrs Billington said they had no alternative and couldn't recommend an alternative other than they think vets may still have it.

I've never had to use it but wouldn't want to tempt fate, it was easy enough to keep on the shelf and knowing our luck it would be at a weekend when we couldn't just pop to the vets for some. My only thoughts were last lambing (from previous posts) we had 2 instances at lambing who in hindsight / if it happens again I'd give them a dose.

It looks like we'll leave it and hopefully not need it but thought others most be experiencing the same thing?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Calciject 20 no 6 alternatives
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2020, 03:20:58 pm »
I'm hoping someone else can fill in the gaps in my memory on this...

There's another Calcijet which is exactly the same thing but twice as concentrated, packaged for cattle.  So my agri store sells us all that one and tells us to use half the amount for sheep that we would of the other.

Because giving the wrong one is fatal I am not going to try to remember which colour top Calcijet 40 it is :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2020, 04:32:05 pm »
Speak to your vet , no 6 blue top had DEXTROSE in it ,no 5 red top has the same magnesium and yes double the calcium .   no 6 was for sheep and no 5 is for cattle

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 06:22:51 pm »
I think it’s number 5 but speak to vet r.e dosage... number 5 doesn’t have glucose in so will need something else to cover that.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 11:31:29 am »
Calciject No 5 - 30 to 40 ml for sheep or goats.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2021, 05:28:45 pm »
So we're a year on, and I just wondered if anybody had an update on this?

Is there a replacement available for Calciject 6 then, or do I need to buy a cow to justify a bottle of Calciject 5?  ???
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2021, 06:11:20 pm »
There’s no replacement, so our vets have been using number 5 at half dose, and using propylene glycol or twin lamb drench orally as well (number 5 doesn’t have glucose in).

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2021, 06:18:47 pm »
So we're a year on, and I just wondered if anybody had an update on this?

Is there a replacement available for Calciject 6 then, or do I need to buy a cow to justify a bottle of Calciject 5?  ???

I am still using my Calciject No 5 still, and you can get it from your vet for sheep under the cascade system (vets can prescribe medicines not licensed for a specific animal if they think it is helpful - there are literally no medicines licensed for goats in this country). But the guy in the agri merchants cannot sell it to you (legally).

But maybe Mrs Womble would quite like a couple of cows....

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 06:38:03 am »
very frustrating this ...... I have opened a bottle for a ewe a year for the past 4 years (Llanwenogs producing triplets / quads !)  .... and they discontinue it ..... why?

Yes it is cow version from vet that is only option now. (I didnt know about glucose ... but would give twin lamb drench orally anyway if needed. ) ....

...... I do have cows too :)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2021, 11:53:11 am »
.... and they discontinue it ..... why?

Apparently because it only sells well for a few months every year.

Oh, this just in - Easter eggs to be discontinued following poor sales between August and October.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS