Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Breach born sheep - tight tendons (dealing with) but doesn't bleat.  (Read 1235 times)

Greenie

• Joined Oct 2016
Evening all.  I've been keeping sheep for 15 years now and every year we learn something new.  We've been lucky enough not to have a breach birth until this year and I could do with some advice. 

Millie, the lamb was born breach and not breathing.  I sorted this out very quickly and she bleated once so I thought we were ok.  I've now realised, at 1 day old that she has shortened tendons because of the breach position, which I'm happy I know what I'm doing with but I've never had a lamb that doesn't bleat.  She's not made a noise when we've been around once since the 1st time (& we've been out close to her all afternoon). 

She's 1 of 1 (so no siblings to fight for the milk bar with or for attention).
She's penned in with her Mum and is feeding well. 
Her Mum and protective and interested in her.   
She's had a poo.
Walks around a bit when her Mum tells her to.

Should I be worried she's not bleating?  She's quiet even during our physio session.  Is she not bleating because she's content and not in pain or is there something I should look into? 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Breach born sheep - tight tendons (dealing with) but doesn't bleat.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2021, 06:47:20 pm »
Most likely she needs nothing and will bleat when she's hungry and Mum isn't right there. 

I had similar worries about a calf this year - and same as you, never seen it before in 15 years - and eventually was able to confirm that he will blare when he's hungry and Mum isn't handy.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Breach born sheep - tight tendons (dealing with) but doesn't bleat.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2021, 08:40:42 pm »
Sometimes when the lamb is pulled in a backwards position the ribcage can break- is her breathing laboured? If not, I wouldn’t worry. If you separated her and mum I’m sure she will bleat for her then.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS