Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is veganism a threat to the planet? *** contentious ***  (Read 16316 times)

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
Re: Is veganism a threat to the planet? *** contentious ***
« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2020, 04:55:09 pm »
On the interesting subject of what to do with our bodies - rather than the boring subject of veganism - a US company is preparing to offer a human body composting service !!

Surely burial is simpler and doesn't require big composting chambers, heat, fuel etc, just a hole in the ground and Nature does the rest?

But burial just serves the local worms and any nearby junipers !
Not sure what the rules would be for using human body compost for plantings/mulching (compared to, say, humanure compost), but I do trust they will rattle out our bones before bagging up.

[ If the trend for micro gin distilleries keeps going, watch out for scrumping of juniper berries from your local cemetery any time soon ! ]

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #106 on: February 23, 2020, 09:33:30 pm »
On the interesting subject of what to do with our bodies - rather than the boring subject of veganism - a US company is preparing to offer a human body composting service !!

I have it written into my will that I'm to be fed to the pigs (i.e. properly recycled).  My lawyer wasn't happy with it, and apparently it isn't currently legal but if we really want to save the planet we need to think differently.  Why would it be ok for us to eat an animal but not ok for them to eat us?  Cremate me and I contribute to unnecessary waste of fuel and emissions; bury me and I'm taking up space that could be put to better use; chuck me in a ditch and I'll contaminate the water... feed me to the badgers or pigs and I'll be wholly recycled and have contributed something useful to the ecology lifecycle... and if you don't want to eat the pig that ate me, then feed me to a breeding boar and eat the offspring rather than the primary consumer! 

Ooo and umm - it's one way to go, but who are you expecting to dump your body into the "pig trough" and walk away to go brew up a cuppa while they wait for the piggies to do their thing before going back to retrieve the bony bits ??!!   :(
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 10:08:27 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #107 on: February 23, 2020, 10:13:46 pm »

I have it written into my will that I'm to be fed to the pigs (i.e. properly recycled).  My lawyer wasn't happy with it, and apparently it isn't currently legal but if we really want to save the planet we need to think differently.  Why would it be ok for us to eat an animal but not ok for them to eat us?  Cremate me and I contribute to unnecessary waste of fuel and emissions; bury me and I'm taking up space that could be put to better use; chuck me in a ditch and I'll contaminate the water... feed me to the badgers or pigs and I'll be wholly recycled and have contributed something useful to the ecology lifecycle... and if you don't want to eat the pig that ate me, then feed me to a breeding boar and eat the offspring rather than the primary consumer!

Humans rarely eat carrion, so perhaps pigs wouldn't be all that keen to eat you either.  Rather like the vultures supposed to eat the human bodies left out for them - apparently they balk at the tough old ones and leave them to mummify in the sun.  I'm sure if death were not such a taboo topic then we could work out a much better and more efficient, earth friendly way to dispose of the dead.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #108 on: February 24, 2020, 09:22:02 am »

When people have left their bodies to hounds the only way round the law is to cremate the person and then feed the ashes.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2020, 09:31:20 am »
Surely people aren't leaving their bodies for hounds - you are kidding right?
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2020, 06:41:46 pm »
Still on the "bodies" subject,  I met someone last year who is working with a company on dissolving bodies rather than cremation, a much more environmentally friendly option.  Apparently it will happen!
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2020, 10:41:34 pm »
Still on the "bodies" subject,  I met someone last year who is working with a company on dissolving bodies rather than cremation, a much more environmentally friendly option.  Apparently it will happen!

Dissolving with what ??

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #112 on: February 28, 2020, 08:16:53 am »
One problem [member=132794]Scarlet.Dragon[/member] - I doubt any of us is fit to enter the food chain :/
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #113 on: February 28, 2020, 11:38:44 am »
Yes, pigs don't leave much behind - just the wellies maybe?

Feeding humans, especially already dead ones therefore likely to have been ill, and to a closely related species such as the pig, would raise all sorts of problems for spread of disease.  We can see from China just how easy it is to fascilitate the evolution of cross species epidemics and even pandemics just by living too closely with those animals, and eating them is just asking for trouble.  Exposure to birds of prey and wild scavengers might be more acceptable, and would help those species to prosper (unless the 'body' died of bird 'flu!)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #114 on: February 28, 2020, 07:35:51 pm »
Bone meal for the fruit and veggie patch  :garden:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS