Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is veganism a threat to the planet? *** contentious ***  (Read 16313 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Is veganism a threat to the planet? *** contentious ***
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2020, 09:56:50 am »
To me someone who chooses to be vegan and lives in an area which cannot provide a sustainable vegan diet is both hypocritical and selfish.  To get a balanced diet in such areas requires a lot of outside resources in food miles and artificial supplements.  This to me has nothing to do with saving the planet.

Natives to cold and barren areas had a diet that consisted of meat and blubber, both fresh and rotten, with little or no vegetables.  They used the skins of their animals and dogs as transport.  Having done this for many centuries having someone preach veganism to them is showing ignorance.

Places like Orkney and Shetland are halfway house sort of places where some growing plants are able to add to the diet but meat and milk are still essential to provide a sustainable healthy diet if you are not going to be importing a lot of food.

Being a vegan is a luxury only rich people can afford. 

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2020, 11:15:51 am »
This may come over as very flippant and its really not meant in that way but I think there are just too many people - bring on the pandemics  :coat:

In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2020, 11:27:43 am »
I am not "having a go" at vegans Messyhoose, I am asking a question.

Have you, or anyone you know (vegan) ever grown your entire diet and/or sourced it totally locally?

So far, the answer has been 100% no from every vegan I have asked but many omnivores have said yes with proof enough for me to believe them.

Buttermilk, you nailed it with this..."Being a vegan is a luxury only rich people can afford. " 

The book "The Meat Fix" is a fantastic read, by the way, I highly recommend it to everyone. 

You do not need lots of land to raise meat, rabbits, guinea pigs, chickens, quail, and pigeons all take very little space and yes, that is providing them with room enough for their happiness. Been there, done that, working on doing it again asap. Allotment committees can teach snails about slow. :rant: 

With good soil and lots of organic enrichment (manure works a treat ;)) growing the rest of the omnivore diet takes more room than expected but can still be done, at least in part.  With bad soil and/or harsh conditions, just give up and raise more meat.  Humans can live on meat and fat alone in conditions that are shocking, wow my species amazes me all the time, what we can do, both good and bad.

Another question that bothers me.  Why are only animals considered worthy of not being eaten out of respect and not plants?  The Flora of our planet is every bit as dynamic and amazing as the Fauna, cutting edge research on how plants communicate is mind-blowing, it really is.

No one, NO ONE!!! can step out of the circle of life.  For us to live things must die, be it cow or carrot, things die that we may live.  There is no way out of that equation.  For us to even exist right now stars died in the distant past, how cool is it that we are all made of stardust?

My daughter says it best. "Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a one hundred percent mortality rate so live the best you can, you ain't around long."

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2020, 11:31:15 am »
This may come over as very flippant and its really not meant in that way but I think there are just too many people - bring on the pandemics  :coat:

Fertility rates are dropping like a rock, we are on the upper curve right before the downward slide. 

It amazes me that more people haven't started worrying about it yet but I bet when they do, women will get the blame! :roflanim:

The only problem with a pandemic is they are so random and I for one would like the people keeping nuclear power stations cool to be nice and healthy. 

LittleLouandMissyMoo

• Joined Feb 2020
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2020, 11:21:07 pm »
Year 2070: 

"Ok team, put your harnesses on, we have 2 acres to plough today."
"Excuse me plough-person, but have you done the horsepower/"manpower" conversion calculation as I seem to think we could do with 50 of us for 2 acres per day rather than just us 4 !"
"Look, you all decided to not exploit animals in any way and to protect the environment and now there are no animals and, despite all our efforts on the CO2 front, the weather forecast says it's today or else.  So are you ready ... ?"
"What about the worms ?"
"... Pull"

Can I steal this for posting elsewhere (without your details) please? It's brillian!

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2020, 11:49:56 am »
Fair point GBov re power stations - I wonder how many people would sacrifice themselves if it would truly help the planet survive - I might be persuaded  :thinking:

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2020, 04:28:20 pm »
Fair point GBov re power stations - I wonder how many people would sacrifice themselves if it would truly help the planet survive - I might be persuaded  :thinking:

My mind is boggling  :o   Do you mean you will volunteer yourself as power station fuel Polyanya? You know it might not be such a bad idea (not the volunteering bit)  If instead of all those expensive cremations using power, once we've finished with our bodies, we could just be lobbed into the nearest power station furnace  ;D  that would save some virgin forest from around the world, and the transport costs to reach our power stations.  Nor would we need the knackers for our deadstock  :idea:   Mm - I like it  :eyelashes:
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:32:41 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #97 on: February 12, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »
Do you think we should run with it and lobby our MP? Its really thinking outside the box isnt it  :roflanim:

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Kernow: where 2nd-home owners rule !
« Reply #98 on: February 12, 2020, 10:30:49 pm »
Year 2070: 

"Ok team, put your harnesses on, we have 2 acres to plough today."
"Excuse me plough-person, but have you done the horsepower/"manpower" conversion calculation as I seem to think we could do with 50 of us for 2 acres per day rather than just us 4 !"
"Look, you all decided to not exploit animals in any way and to protect the environment and now there are no animals and, despite all our efforts on the CO2 front, the weather forecast says it's today or else.  So are you ready ... ?"
"What about the worms ?"
"... Pull"

Can I steal this for posting elsewhere (without your details) please? It's brillian!

Of course you may [member=199799]LittleLouandMissyMoo[/member] but I would not describe it as brillian !  It would/could have been better if I'd sat back and thought about it.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 10:34:17 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #99 on: February 12, 2020, 11:40:20 pm »
Do you think we should run with it and lobby our MP? Its really thinking outside the box isnt it  :roflanim:

Oh definitely... and who needs a box anyway when a basket of willow withies would be much better.....

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2020, 03:18:30 pm »

My mind is boggling  :o   Do you mean you will volunteer yourself as power station fuel Polyanya? You know it might not be such a bad idea (not the volunteering bit)  If instead of all those expensive cremations using power, once we've finished with our bodies, we could just be lobbed into the nearest power station furnace  ;D  that would save some virgin forest from around the world, and the transport costs to reach our power stations.  Nor would we need the knackers for our deadstock  :idea:   Mm - I like it  :eyelashes:

I'm getting a bit worried about talk of sacrifice and volunteering (!), but it would make so much sense if all inedible dead-stock (animal or human) was used to help power the grid.  However, I would hope that my body's transport from hospital mortuary to power-station incinerator in due course will not be by a standard recycling lorry. 
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 03:26:46 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2020, 04:38:27 pm »

I'm getting a bit worried about talk of sacrifice and volunteering (!), but it would make so much sense if all inedible dead-stock (animal or human) was used to help power the grid.  However, I would hope that my body's transport from hospital mortuary to power-station incinerator in due course will not be by a standard recycling lorry.

I quite fancy one last trip on a bike, tied on behind hubby, or if possible on the front with him operating the controls from behind.  I wonder what the law would be about wearing a crash helmet in that case  :thinking:   :yippee:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2020, 05:35:08 pm »
It just goes to show how brilliant we all are at finding solutions to problems - where will it end?  ;D

arobwk

• Joined Nov 2015
« Reply #103 on: February 16, 2020, 10:11:05 pm »
On the interesting subject of what to do with our bodies - rather than the boring subject of veganism - a US company is preparing to offer a human body composting service !!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 10:21:10 pm by arobwk »

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #104 on: February 16, 2020, 11:56:51 pm »
On the interesting subject of what to do with our bodies - rather than the boring subject of veganism - a US company is preparing to offer a human body composting service !!

Surely burial is simpler and doesn't require big composting chambers, heat, fuel etc, just a hole in the ground and Nature does the rest?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS