Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What small breed dog gives birth with the least chance of problems?  (Read 18279 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: What small breed dog gives birth with the least chance of problems?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2019, 01:03:39 pm »
I've avoided this topic until now, but I do want to comment on the mongrel issue.  As Sally has pointed out, mongrels are very different to crossbred dogs.  The classic mongrel is the black and tan 'Heinz 57 varieties' mutt.  We had one from the cat and dog rescue in Edinburgh (Seafield). She was the most wonderful, loyal, devoted, well behaved and beloved dog, strong and healthy.  As we took her away from the rescue, someone on his way in said 'ah you've got a lappit-eared worrier there', and so she was - just always wanting to do the right thing.  Not a tiny dog certainly but not large either.

On the other hand, crosses of pure breeds can sometimes be disastrous. We took over the care of sisters from a litter of Wolfhound cross Anatolian Karabash pups - huge dogs.  As they grew it became apparent that they had totally different characters, one very laid back, the other too intelligent for her own good, but both wonderful, loving, companion animals.  They had plenty of hybrid vigour, being strong and healthy. One evening, the bright one ran off, (followed by her sister who was always determined to stop any badness be it a fight between chickens, sheep or dogs)  She got amongst our neighbour's pregnant ewes, chased them a long way then attacked 3 of them. Of course she had to be put down, not just for that but she frequently attacked our other dogs, with her sister always trying to pull her off.  She would not have been safe being rehomed, as her character was totally unpredictable, so she could have been a danger to children and adults too.  It was our responsibility to make the decision but it was so sad.  We felt that although in her sister the cross was brilliant and we had a laidback, gentle flock protector, with this lass something just was not connected properly.  There had been 11 pups in the original litter and I worried about what had happened with the others.

What I am trying to say I think is that no dog is automatically perfect, whether the breed is famed for it or otherwise, so choose your mum's dog very very carefully, not just for what type you buy but for the nature of the individual animal.  Also, she needs to be there to choose her own pet as it may respond differently to her than to you.
We have never bred dogs so I can offer no opinion on that one.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2019, 01:08:45 pm by Fleecewife »
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2020, 09:06:08 am »
GBov - just bumped this up as I am intrigued as to which breed you've decided upon for your mum? It was also interesting to read all the replies and opinions. I've kept dogs for decades, from Hungarian Kuvasz to tea cup Schnauzer (breeder didn't tell me she was a tea cup) and I agree the dogs with the worst health issues were the small ones. My favourite dog of all time was my boy Josh, a Lhasa Apso and a soul mate and to be fair he was fairly healthy until about 10 then started with several pancreatic attacks which needed hospitalisation at the vets, then followed diabetes and blindness (gave him insulin injections twice daily for over two years). At no point did the vets suggest euthanasia and it was costing me a packet, but he was happy and he was my boy :love: But at 14 he was finally put to sleep due to luxating patella. I have an elderly lab and a mature mini schnauzer now and worry what I'll do when my lab goes and poor Frazer will be left on his own, so I've started looking at dog breeds again, which is how I ended up reading this post.
In the depths of winter, I found there was in me an invincible summer - Camus

www.thecreativecroft.co.uk

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2020, 07:02:31 pm »
In reply to the comment about rescues and 'reading between the lines' I think you are being totally unfair.   Dogs don't all end up in rescue due to bad behaviour.   

My mum got a fab choc lab from RSPCA years ago …. a lovely dog who needed a new home as her owner got too ill to care for her.

I have had 3 rescue collies over the years …. as all dogs they need time to work out what you boundaries are in the same way puppies need training..... but they all became superb dogs.

Also don't know how old your mum is but I have a friend (in her 70's)who was given a puppy after her husband died,  to help her get out … it was a disaster …. she just didn't have the time and energy needed for a puppy.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2020, 04:12:47 pm »
I have really enjoyed this thread as well!

Growing up with rescue dogs and found dogs and picked up out of rush hour traffic dogs and wandered up to the house and never went away again dogs, I have lots of dog experience.

Not all dogs are good dogs, just like not all people are good people.  Some dogs are bad dogs.  It is sad but it happens.

Not all dogs wind up in shelters due to being bad dogs.  I know this because we have had many good dogs from shelters.  We have also lived with, for years, many problem dogs that, to be honest, should have been given terminal lead poisoning to give room for a good dog.

I have looked at the rescue websites for several months and not one single dog has shown up that would suit either my mum or us.  And, if she turns out to be unable to have a puppy, it will come to us so needs to be a good fit for all.

Culling hard for health is done with livestock but not pets.  To me that is insane but it is the world we live in.  Growing up in the Deep South, in the States, mongrels were common and always healthy.  I guess if a pup wasn't, it died, hence the overall health of mutts.

Mongrels now seem to be gone, both here and there, and only pure and/or crossed pups exist.  Hence us looking at breeds and trying to find one that has overall good health. 

No luck there so second best is to get a breed we like and go from there.  Thinking of a Shi Tzu as we have had two rescue Zu's in the past and loved them.

Have started pondering trying to create my own breed using lots of small breeds and always going for health and vigor.  As I know at least 6 people wanting a small dog/puppy right now, not counting the wanted adds, there would seem to be a real need.

Panic not though, the start-up cost of that kind of breeding project is rather cost-prohibitive so shall live in the "what if" catagory of lotto win spends.

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2020, 09:23:26 am »
I've also been looking on many rescue sites in Scotland and they seem to be full of bull terrier and collie types, I think small dogs are snapped up really quickly. But I don't think you'd go wrong with a Shi Tzu or a Lhasa :dog:

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2020, 06:02:23 pm »
I've also been looking on many rescue sites in Scotland and they seem to be full of bull terrier and collie types, I think small dogs are snapped up really quickly. But I don't think you'd go wrong with a Shi Tzu or a Lhasa :dog:

And there is a Chiwawa (sp?) on our street that makes me rethink the entire breed.  WHAT a wonderful little thing he is, so funny and so friendly.  He wears a light-up collar at night and looks like a teeny tiny UFO coming down to say hi.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2020, 08:17:31 pm »
I've always been a "proper" (big / working) dog person, but I've always like Chihuahuas.  I do worry though that they are now being bred with an even more exaggeratedly domed head, and am worried about the sort of health issues they've been having with the Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

Just went and looked it up, and according to Fitzpatrick Referrals
The condition is most commonly reported in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, King Charles Spaniels, Griffon Bruxellois, Affenpinchers, Yorkshire Terriers, Maltese, Chihuahuas, Pomeranians, Boston Terriers, Papillons, French Bulldogs and Pugs.
Guess I won't be getting one of those when I'm too old for a more active dog, then  :'(
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2020, 09:49:37 pm »
How sad is that? :'(

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2020, 09:53:52 pm »
How sad is that? :'(

It's beyond sad.  It's an utter disgrace  :rant:
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2020, 09:36:13 am »
I'd stick with health tested cockers.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2020, 10:49:53 am »
Well I think I see a plan, but the initial outlay will be greater.  Good potential returns, though. 

Shut your ears, Annie, you're not going to like this  :innocent:

Get your mum a nice poodle bitch - toy or miniature whichever she prefers - and yourself a Shih Tzu dog.  Good market for the offspring (Shihpoos), and you're avoiding the issue of the Shih Tzu's narrow pelvis.

GBov

• Joined Nov 2019
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2020, 01:13:04 pm »
Well I think I see a plan, but the initial outlay will be greater.  Good potential returns, though. 

Get your mum a nice poodle bitch - toy or miniature whichever she prefers - and yourself a Shih Tzu dog.  Good market for the offspring (Shihpoos), and you're avoiding the issue of the Shih Tzu's narrow pelvis.

Great minds think alike, eh? ;)  Although is they are both bitches I can outcross to two other breeds by paying stud services fees and increase the gene pool 4X. :innocent:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2020, 02:27:58 pm »

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:
La la le la la
 :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo: :poo:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2020, 02:29:24 pm »

Great minds think alike, eh? ;)  Although is they are both bitches I can outcross to two other breeds by paying stud services fees and increase the gene pool 4X. :innocent:
OMG!!!!

Not anoither designer breed bred for  money!!!  :coat:

Polyanya

• Joined Mar 2015
  • Shetland
    • The Creative Croft
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »

And there is a Chiwawa (sp?) on our street that makes me rethink the entire breed.  WHAT a wonderful little thing he is, so funny and so friendly.  He wears a light-up collar at night and looks like a teeny tiny UFO coming down to say hi.

Sadly the ones I've met have been quite nasty  >:(

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS