Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant or not  (Read 6829 times)

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
Pregnant or not
« on: April 21, 2019, 08:33:28 pm »
Before I call the vet our views pleas. 19rh of January I had a wild boar break I’m to my sows enclosure. The one sow had signs on her back he had tried it in.
I think sh is pr giant and if so would be about time for her to drop. So I will need to segregate her from her companion. My sows were not intended for breeding or eating. I have had them since weanlings and I concede tumblr pets they have just over an acre of woodland to enjoy them selves.
Any way I digress thoughts little video.
https://youtu.be/4thQ3qjMVhc

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Pregnant or not
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2019, 07:30:55 am »
Definitely

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2019, 07:33:11 am »
And i wouldn't be so sure about the other girl either. A gilt that hasn't bred will have none of the looseness of underline that these two show. Although i'm happy to be corrected.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2019, 12:31:43 pm »
Both look pregnant to me ? 3wks to go and both may give birth at the same time unless the boar came back ?  Plenty of straw and she/they will make a nest hopefully in their shelter

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2019, 04:39:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments.
I have just read back my post ???? God knows what happened the grammar and spelling !
I am sure it’s just the one sow that’s in pig.
The other chases me around only when she is in season !
The sow who is in pig will be separated as I have a sweet stone traditional stone birthing sty.
I could do with only the one being in pig otherwise that’s an awful lot of babies !
I would imagine the meat would be rather tasty as an interesting cross !!
My sow’s are a large white welsh cross I think ????

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2019, 05:02:10 pm »
Have they farrowed yet?

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2019, 09:43:28 am »
Have they farrowed yet?
Nop not yet still no milk coming out of teats and needs to bag up a bit more.
I have relocated her to a small area and her pen is ready

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 09:03:45 am »
They will be due tomorrow by my reckoning. She may not get that much bag on her but I would expect the vulva to be fairly enlarged by this stage. And I would expect her belly to be looking bigger than when you took the video back in April.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:54:10 pm »
Hi this is what she looks like today. Thoughts ?
She has still not decided to start to farrow down.

https://youtu.be/ugzFaktkPXI

Her birthing sty.
https://youtu.be/jEsBa6uuA3o

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 07:07:21 pm »
Definitely a "milk bar" there but not much change at the back end. Sty looks grand. I wouldn't have as much straw as that. Piglets can get stuck/lost in too much and then get squashed. I like shavings and a bit of straw. Your piglets wont generally go behind farrowing rails without a lamp. I would also put a low board across the pen entrance so piglets don't go out of the sty and not find their way back in. Some farrowings can take hours and first piglets can wander off. Definitely need a gate on yard entrance so the other pig doesn't try to go in.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 07:29:43 pm »
Definitely a "milk bar" there but not much change at the back end. Sty looks grand. I wouldn't have as much straw as that. Piglets can get stuck/lost in too much and then get squashed. I like shavings and a bit of straw. Your piglets wont generally go behind farrowing rails without a lamp. I would also put a low board across the pen entrance so piglets don't go out of the sty and not find their way back in. Some farrowings can take hours and first piglets can wander off. Definitely need a gate on yard entrance so the other pig doesn't try to go in.
I’ll pull out some of th straw I do have shavings so I’ll add that. The yard did have a gate but she destroyed it when I tried locking her in the yard last week.
This time I have some thick OSB Ply I’m going to put a cross the entrance with a micro tractor up against it.
I’ll be moving the other sow her sister they have never been apart so that will be interesting as they are very attached.
It’s all a large learning curve. How long to stay with mum? Medication best food to fed and when

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2019, 08:27:31 pm »
I would also have a plank across the doorway. Mum can step over to go out but piglets can't whilst she is farrowing. I wean about eight weeks of age but sometimes first time gilts need weaning sooner if they don't hold condition. The sow stays on sow and weaner ration throughout gradually increasing throughout lactation so by the end she is roughly getting her daily ration plus a pound per piglet. You can introduce a creep ration. You would feed that so the sow can't get it. It isn't vital, they will eat the sow ration. I worm sows just before farrowing. No other medication should be needed.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2019, 06:15:31 am »
Yesterday I encouraged her in to the stone pig sty. Bad idea I put an OSB board in front of the gate and my micro tractor between it and the out side wall so she could no get out. The last gate she destroyed.
Lots of panicked squealing of terror she got her front legs over the board then on to the micro tractor seat trying to climb out.
She backed of and I had to let her out before she damaged her self and stressed the babies. Was rather terrifying.
Plan B she also has the use of a large stable with her sister to use however most of the time she chooses to sleep out side occasionally going inside. Her sister was in side yesterday she then chased her sister out...
So I moved her sister to the adjacent paddock so they can still sniff and see each other.
Lots of running by her along the fence now trying to destroy the fence to get to her sister.
Can’t bloody win. Managed to put her sister back with her.
Now total at a loss to do. Still no babies nor milk coming from her teats just a tiny bit.
I’m feeling totally out of my depth.
I have set up CCTV so I can keep an eye on them inside and out it’s motion triggered or you can log in and watch live I also stuck a big LED in to the stable. Any one is interested I can add you to th camera system so you can live watch and look in on the goings on ????
 https://youtu.be/OGiNAUn7Hyc

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2019, 07:29:08 am »

If I was you I would leave them together and leave the farrowing area ready for her to use. Hopefully, she will go in when she is ready. She may choose to farrow outside but she will make a nest most likely if she does. Do you have a pig board? I would suggest you have one with you, just in case. Don't be tempted to get too involved when she is farrowing. Keep a quiet eye from a distance - camera ideal. Gilts can get upset if not left in peace and yours seems a bit stressy.

It is not unknown for pigs to farrow and stay with another pig. Room is the key so no one gets cornered.

Keep doing your breathing exercises!  :eyelashes: They were designed for Dad's too.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 08:01:40 pm »
She farrowed out side next to a stock fence the worst possible place. 6.30 am she stared to pop them out. Birth went smoothly mostly a good size two almost look premature totally underdeveloped one of the small ones the joints are fused so will need to be dispatched I’m not sure the other will survive one was still born.
I separated the babies as mum would not let them feed and her position was not good and too cold.
I have them in the sty with heat lamps etc kept taking one out to try to get the to suckle.
She almost nit the head off two.
Not interested at all sadly. So they are now separated from mum not what I want at all as far to much work.
Have bought a multi feeder so can give milk to four at a time it’s s**t and leaks.
Could not get pig colostrum so given calf and lamb. They seem to be doing well lots of squeaking and climbing.
It’s going to be a hard long few weeks.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:29:09 pm by SmallWelshBarn »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS