Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pregnant or not  (Read 6832 times)

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Pregnant or not
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 05:53:24 pm »
The two-thumps-then-jab technique is used in cattle too. I didn’t know it worked in pigs. It uses a prey animal physiological response, where the nerves to an area are deadened by physical shock. So the theory is that by the time you put the needle in, there is little or no pain sensation.

wow thanks for that explanation, like it  :)

I can never really decide if pigs are prey/predator or a strange middle ground

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 07:02:45 pm »

Generally with pigs if you have to inject more than once, you will be lucky to get the second one in and really lucky to get the third in unless you can restrain. You can make somewhere to restrain if you have a gate that opens against a fence. Feed the pig so you can open the gate and have a piece of chain that you attach from the post to gate behind her quarters so she if effectively wedged in. Again it will probably work once.

Pigs are usually injected in the neck, about a hands width behind the ear but if you can't do that then go with the rump.

If the vet has a good reason for not feeding creep yet fine but I can't think of one. They wont  take much to start with. So far, they have had no pig colostrum or milk, so the sooner they can have something designed for pigs the better. Have they had iron or getting access to a sod? Were the scours, too much milk or an infection?

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2019, 11:21:44 pm »
Mum seems now to be doing well now back to eating. I have given them a nice paddock full of grass to enjoy.
Piglets seem to be growing each day. Horrid little creatures super sharp teeth!  Some do have scoured I’m guessing too much milk. I have decided to cut the milk back 5 feeds in a 24 hr period  plus one dextrose. They are drinking about 1 litre 250mil per feed between 11of them.
Also treating them for the scour.
They all have nose injuries from fighting.

https://youtu.be/kbGeJuBlyGc

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2019, 01:25:11 pm »
You are doing a grand job!

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2019, 11:24:07 pm »
You are doing a grand job!
Thanks I’m trying my best. They are now 8 days old and seem to be doing well.
However that said the issues I am having some have terrible bits on the snout very deep and raw. I clean the wounds and treat with sudocream. I presume most of the damage was caused whilst feeding alone. I have stoped that now as milk is a set time then it’s removed and I referee feeding to stop the fighting.
The second issue I’m having is getting on top of the scour. Today emptied the sty and disinfected it clean bedding cleaned all piggies. Started treatment with Spectrum all piggies and for the next 24 hours no milk just rehydrate.
Hopefully this breaks the cycle.
They are funny little things from low me around yet when I pick one up screams like I’m killing it.
I have introduced the creep feed how ever they don’t seem interested in it. Any tips of how to get them to try it ?
Feeling totally shattered 

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2019, 09:07:44 am »
Piglets have sharp milk teeth that point out and that's what causes the injuries. You can clip them off. For the scour get a disinfectant powder to dry up the sty as well as disinfect. Get some rehydration liquid for pigs and calves that you add to the water. Creep feed just takes time.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2019, 11:05:28 pm »
I’m not up to clipping teeth ! How do the boar get on in the wild ? I do wonder what the % die
Given the Forest of Dean is over run with them I would imagine not a lot !
They all seem to be doing well thankfully fingers crossed that does not change.
I do have the the rehydration solution for pigs and calf’s. I just hope the scouring stops soon !! I’m doing everything I’m supposed to medically.
I’ll get some powder for the floor i just disinfected it yesterday it’s a non stop task to get on top of it.
11 healthy piglets hope that stays !

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2019, 07:49:14 am »
Wild pigs and domestic are quite different. WB don't have big litters. Domestic pigs are bred to be productive. We help out the weak who would die in the wild.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2019, 02:16:17 am »
I don’t seem to be wining against scouring.
Today is the 4th day using the scour medication and they still have yellow water poo. Some pooing as they eat.
Not sure if I’m giving too much milk ? Approx 1ltr 250 mill every feed between 11 piglets each piglet probably drinks for about 5/8 mins or until they start messing about !
Inside the pen is a bed of shavings to soak up pee and poo and every day I take out the pee soaked sawdust lucky  it’s always in just two corners.
Outside where I feed them gets washed down after every feed as is always plenty of yellow nasty stuff.
Never has a person wanted to see more solid poo ! How can it be solid if they are only getting milk ??
Any one based near Monmouthshire?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2019, 09:43:37 am »
Are they looking ill? Or just the same and eating? It can be a pain to get rid of. As I said before the powder disinfectant helps dry up and disinfectant. I think mine is called dri-bed. Have they had iron or are you giving them a grass sod? Cut back the milk and they will be encouraged to eat the creep.

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2019, 07:50:12 am »
They are all doing well eating and running about pop has all dried up now.
I switched to fresh goats milk then managed to get some proper powdered pig milk.
I’m starting to allow them out of the sty in to a grassy area enclosure sights and smells for them. They also met my two Kuni Kuni boys who just ignored them.
Made this short video for fun..... what do you think ?
https://youtu.be/9ke6DK5kUhY

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2019, 09:48:26 am »
Fabulous!!  I am not a pig keeper but have really enjoyed your journey with  :pig:  I think you are doing really well with them, keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:

SmallWelshBarn

• Joined Sep 2014
« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2019, 09:10:50 am »
Fabulous!!  I am not a pig keeper but have really enjoyed your journey with  :pig:  I think you are doing really well with them, keep up the good work!  :thumbsup:
Thank you. They are all little characters  another little fun video
https://youtu.be/kyis6D6Fn9Q

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS