Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clocks Change March  (Read 7108 times)

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Clocks Change March
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2019, 11:35:48 pm »

It’s “spring forward, fall back”, so on summertime what would have been 10pm becomes 11, so yes, longer light evenings

Surely the number of hours of daylight doesn't change with the time? 

No, but if sunset is 10pm UTC, then on British Summertime, sunset would be 11pm.  So the evenings are lighter longer on BST.

Sunrise moves too, of course, so if it’s 4am on UTC it would be 5am on summertime.  So it gets light a little later in the morning on summertime.

Those of us without external pressures can just get up and go to bed with the light, so it makes little difference.  People with office or other 9-5 (or 8-4 or whatever) type jobs will feel the difference in evening length more, particularly if they like to do things outdoors in the evening.  And parents with kids at school will also feel the impact, as the kids need to be put to bed at the same time, at least on a school night, to get enough sleep.  If your kids go to bed at 9, you might have a couple of hours of daylight left to enjoy after they’re out of your hair on BST, but only one without the summertime adjustment.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 11:48:34 am »
The problem is when you start work at 2am like my mum. Then you need good black out curtains if you want to sleep.
I can't fall asleep at day time at all...
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 10:40:53 pm »
"No, but if sunset is 10pm UTC, then on British Summertime, sunset would be 11pm.  So the evenings are lighter longer on BST."
There can't possibly be any more daylight just by changing the clocks. :excited: :excited: :excited:  You just get up earlier  :innocent:
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 11:56:51 pm »
Exactly. Atm we sleep to long in the morning! We should wake earlier anyway!
My grandmother used to start her office job at 7am and finish at 3pm! I think we should have those working hours again!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2019, 12:04:19 am »
"
There can't possibly be any more daylight just by changing the clocks. :excited: :excited: :excited:  You just get up earlier  :innocent:

We have a winner ! Time is intangible and of course relative ,but only to whatever you wish to value it by.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2019, 12:18:39 am »
"No, but if sunset is 10pm UTC, then on British Summertime, sunset would be 11pm.  So the evenings are lighter longer on BST."

You didn’t read the rest of my post, then?

Sunrise moves too, of course, so if it’s 4am on UTC it would be 5am on summertime.  So it gets light a little later in the morning on summertime.

Those of us without external pressures can just get up and go to bed with the light, so it makes little difference.  People with office or other 9-5 (or 8-4 or whatever) type jobs will feel the difference in evening length more, particularly if they like to do things outdoors in the evening.  And parents with kids at school will also feel the impact, as the kids need to be put to bed at the same time, at least on a school night, to get enough sleep.  If your kids go to bed at 9, you might have a couple of hours of daylight left to enjoy after they’re out of your hair on BST, but only one without the summertime adjustment.

It makes a difference to people who don’t have the freedom to rise and retire with the light, for instance people with jobs, people with children - most people, in fact ;)
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2019, 07:23:56 am »
Bugger most people I am the important one - said very tongue in cheek.

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 09:45:44 am »
Same here Buttermilk, Just got to convince the goats now :roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 11:22:17 am »
Bugger most people I am the important one - said very tongue in cheek.

:roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2019, 01:28:51 pm »
Facts are chiels that winna ding!  :roflanim:

If there are 10 hours of daylight in one day there are 10 hours of daylight in that day - Fact!

My problem is I never know which way to turn the clock, forward or back  :eyelashes:

:excited:  :coat: 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2019, 08:13:58 pm »

My problem is I never know which way to turn the clock, forward or back

Ah, well, this explains perhaps why I am failing so signally to get my point across!   :D

I recmember it from “Spring forward, fall back”.  (“Spring back, fall forward” just doesn’t have a ring to it.)

So in spring, the clocks go forward, so you add one hour.  What was 9 o’clock becomes 10 o’clock.

In fall, the clocks go back, so you take off one hour.  What was 10 o’clock becomes 9 o’clock.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2019, 08:19:29 pm »
Facts are chiels that winna ding!  :roflanim:

If there are 10 hours of daylight in one day there are 10 hours of daylight in that day - Fact!

My problem is I never know which way to turn the clock, forward or back  :eyelashes:

:excited:  :coat:

I’m going to have one more try.

So, let’s talk accounts!  I know you understand them!

We are going to put £100 in someone’s bank account.

In the first story, the person currently has a zero balance, so ends up with £100.

In the second story, the person is currently £10 in the red, so end up with £90.

In both stories, they were given £100, but in one of the stories, they end up with a smaller balance at the end.

The analogy isn’t perfect, but the thing is, someone who gets home from work at 6pm will have daylight longer in the evening if the sunset is at 10 o’clock than if it is at 9 o’clock.  So when the clocks go back in autumn, this person’s evening light gets shortened by one hour.

Of course, in the financial analogy, those of us without day jobs or other clock constraints on our enjoyment of daylight are effectively being given cash in hand, so we all get £100 no matter what our bank balance was at the beginning of the story ;)  :roflanim:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 10:46:50 am »
 :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

I DO know what you are trying to say (even without the accounts analogy) Sally.  :excited: :excited:

But logic tells me there are only the same number of daylight hours in each day regardless of when you get up or go to bed.

And no one can tell me any different  :coat:

:roflanim:

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 12:45:42 pm »

But logic tells me there are only the same number of daylight hours in each day regardless of when you get up or go to bed.

I don’t think anyone’s disputing that, Annie!  I’m certainly not.  Just the number of daylight hours left in the evening, if your life is constrained by clocks.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 01:30:23 pm »
I am a morning person and would rather have my extra light before work than after.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS