Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clocks Change March  (Read 7109 times)

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
Clocks Change March
« on: March 06, 2019, 08:23:35 am »

So this is it March changing of clocks could be the last time as EU have voted not to change them
    any more   By the end of April 2019 each EU country will decide to be Summer time or Winter time
    then no more changing    Will we still be EU

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Clocks Change March
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 09:00:15 am »
Ooh controversial.  Popcorn anyone?

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
Time, hmmm interesting concept.
As far as I am aware the earth will continue rotating at roughly the same rate,and it's axis will shift on a regular pattern.with this in mind it will get dark and it will get light. ( As sure as night follows,you get the idea ,)
At some time during this light/dark cycle the animals will routinely get fed and watered,the vegetables,trees and crops will grow .
Many moons ago I never thought I would see so many summers ,I know the day I was born ,it was the day before the birds changed their song for the spring some sixty two summers ago..
I will eat if I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired.

EU, hmmm interesting concept................
 :) :) :)

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 09:51:31 am »
Rupert, did you not realise that the EU rule everything????

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 09:54:57 am »
Yes very funny, but not so funny to those sending children to walk to and from school in the dark in winter. 

I’m not a parent or teacher myself, but I was left in no doubt by my friends in the north of England and in Scotland who are, that the clocks going back in autumn is a very real safety factor. 

But I guess if it’s the summertime change which is abandoned, then the winter hours remain the same as now, so it would be fine?
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 11:04:48 am »
Yes very funny, but not so funny to those sending children to walk to and from school in the dark in winter. 

I’m not a parent or teacher myself, but I was left in no doubt by my friends in the north of England and in Scotland who are, that the clocks going back in autumn is a very real safety factor. 

But I guess if it’s the summertime change which is abandoned, then the winter hours remain the same as now, so it would be fine?
Winter time is the "correct" one actually. It would be summer time that would change - atm in summer the noon is at 1pm and in winter at 12pm (more or less).
I am a parent and a teacher (evenings in the mosque however - not morning school).
And I used to walk to school starting at 7.30am through knee deep snow in -23C and I'm still alive! Wow! Amazing isn't it? Lol :roflanim:
I always found it really stupid that we change from summer to do yet time to save electricity from lighting supposedly. I still don't understand how it works.
As for EU - I really regret that UK is leaving (I'll be EU citizen anyway so n need for visas etc  :P). UK is suppose to continue following the all the laws and regulations which are approves in till the day that The UK officially leaves (I would prefer that would never happen but it is not my decision).
Anyway summer or winter we are all still friends  :hug:
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 11:22:52 am »
Rupert, did you not realise that the EU rule everything????
Now that's interesting, I am currently in a country that like quite a few in the EU don't quite believe that the EU rule everything, get paid for stuff yes but treat the rules as advisory unlike the UK !

Children going to school in the dark.
In my part of North East Scotland most of the pedestrian children use a footpath nearly all lit wear high visibility clothing or at the very least an armband the rest get the school bus or parents taxi.
Oh and nearly all the motor vehicles have headlights , useful if the driver remembers to turn them on!!!

Anyone up for the farmers feeding animals in the dark next ,?
I do have tounge firmly in cheek

Ps I had to walk to school in the dark  and no street lights and hiviz unheard of.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 12:05:52 pm »
Having retired we won't really be affected, but losing Summer time means an end to the longer evenings I think? That's bad news for people that work.

We are on approximately the same line of longitude as London, but an hour ahead so get much longer Winter evenings with the extra 1 ¼ hours daylight from being further South. Opposite in Summer though.

Assuming Brexit goes ahead the UK can then do what it wants. The EU decision was based on an internet poll last week which had 80-84% of people wishing to scrap Summer time. If that has something to do with the title 'British' I wouldn't be at all surprised.

The French President has just published his 'Great Renaissance plan for Europe without the UK' heralding it as a great step forward for the remaining 21 EU states. Haven't read it yet.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 01:24:41 pm »
Having retired we won't really be affected, but losing Summer time means an end to the longer evenings I think? That's bad news for people that work.

No no.
It means sunset will be 1 hour LATER in the summer so the evening will be longer!
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Goatherd

• Joined Dec 2014
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2019, 01:31:41 pm »

I change our clock half hour in morning half hour in the evening It helps the milkers not so tight
   udders or upsetting them

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2019, 08:03:24 am »
We get our chickens out when it is light and lock them up when it is dark, so any change to the clock time doesn't affect them but certainly does me as the relative timings of all the TV programmes change.

I'm sure that the Summertime change gives longer evenings Macgro7, so if they don't make the change evenings are shorter?

Said on the French TV this morning that 83% of EU want to stop the clocks changing, but also 53% of French want to keep the Summertime change- guess they have been outvoted?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2019, 09:16:04 am »
It’s “spring forward, fall back”, so on summertime what would have been 10pm becomes 11, so yes, longer light evenings
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2019, 09:22:32 am »

In my part of North East Scotland most of the pedestrian children use a footpath nearly all lit wear high visibility clothing or at the very least an armband the rest get the school bus or parents taxi.
Oh and nearly all the motor vehicles have headlights , useful if the driver remembers to turn them on!!!

Ps I had to walk to school in the dark  and no street lights and hiviz unheard of.

Yes very funny.

But when we were kids, there were far fewer cars on the roads, they drove slower and more carefully, particularly in the countryside, and there was more of a feeling that the roads were for all users equally.

These days, loads of cars, most go as fast as the car and driver can handle with little regard for road conditions or other road users, most drivers think they own the road and everyone else should get out of the way.

Of course, what do I know, I just used to have to hold back the traffic when we were moving livestock on lanes that had been used this way for more than a hundred years.  Thirty years ago you could bring sheep out onto the road to feed them in muddy winter conditions, and the very light traffic would carefully make its way past, or just wait and chat to the farmer while the sheep ate.  Seven years ago we had a batch of sheep massacred on the road because a driver drove full pelt over the blind brow of a hill and the police supported the driver as he had not been exceeding the speed limit - 60mph  :o :rant:   

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2019, 09:36:32 am »

Yes very funny.

But when we were kids, there were far fewer cars on the roads, they drove slower and more carefully, particularly in the countryside, and there was more of a feeling that the roads were for all users equally.

These days, loads of cars, most go as fast as the car and driver can handle with little regard for road conditions or other road users, most drivers think they own the road and everyone else should get out of the way.

Of course, what do I know, I just used to have to hold back the traffic when we were moving livestock on lanes that had been used this way for more than a hundred years.  Thirty years ago you could bring sheep out onto the road to feed them in muddy winter conditions, and the very light traffic would carefully make its way past, or just wait and chat to the farmer while the sheep ate.  Seven years ago we had a batch of sheep massacred on the road because a driver drove full pelt over the blind brow of a hill and the police supported the driver as he had not been exceeding the speed limit - 60mph  :o :rant:
That an awful thing to happen. I understand the reason to feed on the road,sadly Times change but rural speed limits are too high in my view. The commercial goat farm I visited still retain the same hours for milking without refering to the clock. I witnessed the goat herding by drone project,but that's for another post.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2019, 09:42:55 pm »
Surely the number of hours of daylight doesn't change with the time? 
It’s “spring forward, fall back”, so on summertime what would have been 10pm becomes 11, so yes, longer light evenings
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS