Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Starting with chickens for meat - any tips?  (Read 6656 times)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: Starting with chickens for meat - any tips?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 08:39:59 pm »
Lesson learned. Will completely ignore HFW and get Hubbards in future - easier to remember!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
Re: Starting with chickens for meat - any tips?
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:26:45 am »
Only a small problem with any commercial meat bird chick. Most of the larger companies inject the breeding birds, chicks and even eggs with all sorts of stuff to keep them disease free.

I don't know about Hubbards, besides which I'd rather breed and hatch my own then I know what they have been fed on and how they were reared.

HFW used an Indian Game rooster on Light Sussex, Wyandotte and a Dorking. All were traditional crosses and of those 3 tested the Dorking cross was chosen as the best tasteing.

Over many years I have tried them all and found the best cross was Australorp Rooster to Indian Game hens. Australorps are very good laying breed and the roosters are able to mate Indian Game easily, much easier than the other way around. If your worried about the amount of eggs Indians Lay don't be they lay more than enough for eggs to hatch.

Details on breeding for dual purpose I have on my web page.

Australorp/ Indian Game Xrosses 5th generation.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS