Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: which breed?  (Read 3039 times)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
which breed?
« on: February 07, 2011, 06:51:01 pm »
i have two cream legbar hybrids, I was wondering which breed of cockeral to get? I need one that will not be too noisey (is that possible?). I get blue eggs from one of my hens and pale sage eggs from the other, I would like the potential offspring to also produce coloured eggs.

also, which is the best hen to give me large eggs? to put into this pen?

thank you (from a complete hen novice!)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 06:54:07 pm by Mays »

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: which breed?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 07:41:45 pm »
how many eggs you want a year? what breed do you fancy? do you like green/blue eggs? or do you want dark brown? im concertrating on bantams atm  so have small eggs but have 3 hybrids just for the big egg lover it depends what you going to do with the eggs.

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 08:09:09 pm »
I like the green/blue eggs, & like the idea of a pure Cream Legbar cockeral, jsut wondering thru what options I have?

in the main the eggs are for the fridge :yum: but if I get a cockeral I could raise some chicks and expand my feathered Empire :farmer:

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 10:00:53 pm »
Hi

What is your location?  If you did want a cream legbar cockerel we have a spare one.  We are in NE Fife.   :wave:

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »
Hi

What is your location?  If you did want a cream legbar cockerel we have a spare one.  We are in NE Fife.   :wave:

that might be interesting, am in aberdeen x

how much noise might i expect (hubby is light sleeper x)

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 06:47:39 pm »
Aberdeen isn't too far, as for hubby sleeping if he is your only cockerel then perhaps you won't have that much noise.  We have 3 cockerels and they all call each other that is the reason for downsizing our cockerel bunch.  I think it also depends on your glazing as we don't hear it at all but we have had one comment from a neighbour, however that neighbour also complains about anything. For example the AA being parked over her drive for 10mins while the guy jump started my husbands car!!  In a breakdown situation you would think kindness would kick in lol.
My cockerels are very handsome and I think you would get lovely offspring.
Let me know what you think  :wave:

loopy

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »
i wish you were closer to me as i'm after a decent cream legbar cockeral :(

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 06:13:24 pm »
Hi Loopy

Where are you?  :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2011, 09:08:54 am »
have one legbar cross RIR and as with most cockerals they are noisy well wouldnt you be if you had a load of girls to protect and show off to lol thats why today im taking him to market as been a month  or so and neighbours cannot be trusted

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS