Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help! Advice needed,Neighbours Feral Cat attacking my flocks!  (Read 9423 times)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Help! Advice needed,Neighbours Feral Cat attacking my flocks!
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2011, 09:14:22 am »
Absolutely not.  Cruelty to animals is an offence in law.  Let's think of ways of dealing with this problem without employing cruelty to an animal 
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Squire

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2011, 09:37:34 am »
I would have thought a fox trap to identify the culprit and a trip to the Vet would be the safest, less risk of upsetting anybody?

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:12 am »
Don't think it matters wether it's officially feral or not. If it's harrassing your livestock you're entitled to protect them. You wouldn't question if a farmer shot a dog that was chasing his sheep.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2011, 10:38:34 am »
if you think your nbeightbours will make a fuss if you shoot it then don't threaten them, just do it and dispose of it. It's their responsibility, they know it is happening. If you are a member of BASC then call and ask for legal advice

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2011, 10:58:58 am »

We've several cats and they've never been a bother with our birds - probably because they're well fed and don't see the need. They do occasionally bring home the odd mouse or garden bird though - still seems to be plenty of them in the garden.

The problem lies in the definition of 'feral', I suspect. Personally, if I caught it in the act I'd shoot it. By that I mean it would have to have a bird in its mouth at the time, not just crossing the garden or even stalking.

Does this cat have a collar round its neck? If not then that would add weight to your claim of it being feral if it were ever to come to court.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »
shooting a cat with an airrifle will not kill it. you comite an offense if you did. shooting a shotgun close to anothers property it sounds like a close neighbour so that would be against the law. humane trap at take it to the cats protection or speak to the rspca. you would be in the right to send them the bill for lost stock. but the law does not apply the same to cats as it does to dogs.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »
I certainly dont agree with poisoning or causing harm to the cat. Even if it was ok to shoot it, you should only do it if you could confirm it would be killed with the 1st shot. I am sure even foxes are not allowed to be shot except by professionals as its cruel unless you can confirm they are dead.

If the problem is that it is hungry, I guess you could take the long view and start to feed and tame it. Otherwise I would ask the RSPCA for advise and maybe they can take it away. Or you could trap it/film it in the act and make a complaint if that would get you anywhere.

I would trap it on the quiet and take it away/drop it in to an RSPCA or CPL centre in another town to be rehomed.

Dan

• The Accidental Smallholder
  • Administrator
  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Carnoustie, Angus
    • The Accidental Smallholder
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2011, 06:40:20 pm »
I'm locking this topic now. While there are many ways to skin (and apparently kill) a cat, we're verging on incitement to commit a crime.  :o

Leghorn, I'd advise strongly against doing any harm to the cat. If it were feral it seems you could legally shoot it. However, since you know it has an 'owner' (however badly they care for it, or how little time it spends in their house), it's likely to be domesticated in the eyes of the law and you'd be committing a criminal offence.

egbert and others have provided good advice that doesn't involve harming the cat, and they seem like the avenues to explore.

Thanks,

Dan

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS