Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Making Parma Ham  (Read 13955 times)

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
Making Parma Ham
« on: October 02, 2008, 03:01:08 pm »
Having read through the RC recipe for the process of creating this ham, it is quite specific on the controlled temperature and humidity for hanging it.  How does one achieve this in a home environment?

Kate  ???
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
Re: Making Parma Ham
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2008, 05:39:25 pm »
Well....... I currently have mine in a bin covered in salt and sugar (8kg of salt & 2kg of sugar for every 45kg of meat),and every now and then I massage my pork.They should all be done in 3 weeks max. The plan is then to brush off the excess mixture,check over for blowfly eggs etc then wrap it a muslin bag and hang in a cool dry place out of reach of everybody and everything. I plan on hanging mine in the cave where we hung the pigs (remember?) and with the window ajar,should get a nice breeze through there to aid the curing process.
 I read somewhere,think it was here,that someone hung their ham,covered in muslin,in an old birdcage.Fatastic idea,I just need to find one! Can pop over John Seymour's Guide to Self-Sufficiency if ya want it........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2008, 07:35:16 pm »
Hi,

Greetings from wet and windy Normandy

We hung our first parma ham experiment after salting  & sugar etc in April in a cotton pillow case in a little used outside barn. We checked it a couple of weeks ago, changed the pillow case and tasted a bit. It was great. We have rehung it in the same place.
HFW talks about airflow, we were discussing the other day about trying to get some of the wire the same as on old meat safes and hanging the next one from a tree !
However I think the bird cage is a good idea but with additional fine mesh wire covering it. 

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 08:22:04 pm »
I think Hugh panics me!  We have made lovely hams to date, but when I was reading his 'easy' recipe today, which I found for my Mangalitza forum, it becomes a bit of a responsiblity to get acurate information for other people.  So the answer is -  to carry on a usual!

Thank you guys!

Kate :pig:

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 08:24:37 pm »
Meant to say Velcro - from where do you hail?  It has been just awful today - we are flooded out. Even the ducks want to depart for warmer climes!

We are just out side of Brecey.  Perhaps you fancy a glass of vino? I know Ree will!

Kate ;)

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Near Stirling, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 10:40:09 pm »
and every now and then I massage my pork.
enought said !!!!

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2008, 10:59:43 am »
Get on the boat Linz!  I will get an extra big bottle out for you lovey!!

Kate  :P :pig:

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2008, 11:14:34 am »
lol

I need a laught as a pair of sock (handed knitted)are getting me down
Sorry my Sence of humour get the worst of me some time,
* Fluffywelshsheep must remember to tone down her sence of humour as it's not appropriate for all

Sorry if i offended anyone,
Thanks Kate, you need to put it to one side for me not sure when i'll be let out next lol

Linz

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2008, 05:38:14 pm »
Linz you never offend anyone!  Putting to one side never seems to work - it calls out - drink me, drink me!  There will always be another one don't worry!

Kate  ;D

Fluffywelshsheep

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2008, 05:58:28 pm »
:)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS