Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nest box's  (Read 11248 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
nest box's
« on: September 09, 2010, 05:54:20 pm »

have almost finished building my chicken coop but have hit a snag, how big do nest box's need to be and how many do i need to allow.

I am getting 6 chicken so how many boxes will I need?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
Re: nest box's
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:00:37 pm »
I'm new to keeping chickens but I would say that something two feet square and six inches tall would be big enough. Mine share a space half that size comfortably. It needs to be lower than the perches though and be designed so that they can't kick the straw etc out.
Hope that helps,

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
I'm new to keeping chickens but I would say that something two feet square and six inches tall would be big enough. Mine share a space half that size comfortably. It needs to be lower than the perches though and be designed so that they can't kick the straw etc out.
Hope that helps,

Ian
I've given up with nest boxes - mine insisted on laying in the straw on the floor so that i have to search for them and try not to step on them,.  I'm sure they do it to tease me ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
Build as many as you want, but you'll prob find they'll all use the same one   :D

Something around 14" cubed (14 x 14 x 14") is about right (6" might be a wee bit short on headroom) with a 2" lip across the front so it's harder for the hens to scratch whatever material you use to line it with out.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 07:50:17 pm »
Build as many as you want, but you'll prob find they'll all use the same one   

There are 7 nestboxes on our hen house. They use three of them.  ;D :chook:

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 08:05:44 pm »
Hi,

To get some Ideas on design have a look at the ones we sell, may give you a few pointers.

https://www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk/poultry-accessories-c-23_111.html

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:41 pm »
I really fancy those plastic ones. If we convert a shed next time, I might put them in.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 08:48:46 pm »
ok have i missed something in my reading

why would i want to exclude the birds from the nest boxes at night etc?

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »
They do most of their toilet duties during the night if you get my drift  ;D ;D

Don't want to get the eggs mixed up with the sh...............shavings and straw  :D

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »
cool thanks

han't realised, but its a good reason.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 10:34:46 pm »
I really fancy those plastic ones. If we convert a shed next time, I might put them in.

I like them too- I'm so tempted to get a couple.

Beth

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 10:36:15 pm »
2 boxes 300mmX300mmX300mm, works a treat for mine. however many you have they will all still choose to queue to use the same one!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:01:51 pm »
Well I won't be spending £38 on something that won't be used.  I've tried wooden boxes, cardboard boxes, plastic basins - and still they lay in a pile of straw on the floor - at least it's a different pile from where they s&*t ::) ;D ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:24:46 pm »
I use plastic cat carriers,with the door removed, great as you can give them a good scrub. I used to use two but t all 5 hens layed in the same one so they just have one now. I've also used those cat litter trays with a hood.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 08:08:29 am »
4 nest boxes here with 11 hens. one is persistantly broody so takes over a box (must sin bin her soon) the rest insist on laying in just the one box  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS