Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: nest box's  (Read 11246 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: nest box's
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 08:18:44 am »
see this is why i joined the forum as although i's visited people with chickens prior to planning mine its all people with only 2-3 I have too many kids (4) so decided we needed 6 chickens to provide us with all the eggs we need and enough spares to appease the neighbours...

the information on nesting boxes is ammusing but also useful as it means i can fit them in easier.

does anyone know why they all like to share?

today i'm on childcare duty at home so will get my nest boxes built...

then just need to make a gate for the outside run and we're ready for chickens...

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2010, 08:23:15 am »
Just a quick thought......Once neighbours and friends find out about your chooks, six  ain't gonna be enough  ;)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 08:26:34 am »
don't use straw for chicken bedding. The hollow stems are a perfect hiding place for parasites

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 08:50:56 am »
Also line the floor of you can with vinyl / lino - it makes cleaning out that much easier!

Thanks
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 11:58:29 am »
don't use straw for chicken bedding. The hollow stems are a perfect hiding place for parasites
Yes, I know - I've heard this before but as you see in another post I don't seem to have any mites.  Perhaps I'm just lucky.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 11:59:22 am »
Also line the floor of you can with vinyl / lino - it makes cleaning out that much easier!

Thanks
Yes, I do that too.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 12:07:29 pm »
hi what is the best bedding to use i use straw at the moment, as  i was told not to use hay?

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »
Yes, I know - I've heard this before but as you see in another post I don't seem to have any mites.  Perhaps I'm just lucky.

Must be the Total Mite Kill Spray we sold you Anne ;-)
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 12:53:11 pm »
hi what is the best bedding to use i use straw at the moment, as  i was told not to use hay?

I normally use woodshavings Faith, but i bought a bale of hemcore yesterday to try.

They say it lasts a lot longer than shavings, but it is more expensive .... there's always a downside.

I'm sure hay is porous & can harbour all sorts, plus it gives the dreaded mite somewhere else to hide.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 01:20:42 pm »
thanks for that i use shavings on the floor of there inside run, will put it in there nest box as well now, the hemp beddin does not take as long to rot down either with it being plant based i have used that for my horses, shavins take ages to rot down, building a new coop this week end so they have a new housey for when we move in 2 wks, i have got loads of ideas form this thread, it will be a palace ha ha ha (fingers crossed)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 04:13:25 pm »
well my run is now complete scratch built coop is done apart from a door which is almost done, the nest boxes are underway and it all has to e finished by tomorrow as thats when the chickens arrive.

have really enjoyed building it, so excited about my first chickens i think they may get spoiled rotten!!!!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 04:27:20 pm »
chickens are addictive, you can spend hours just watchin them they are so funny, i bet you end up getting more
good luck with them tomorrow

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 04:32:00 pm »
chickens are addictive, you can spend hours just watchin them they are so funny, i bet you end up getting more
good luck with them tomorrow

we have already earmarked part of the garden for a much bigger enclosure if these work out, might give us options on either a bigger laying flock, maybe some birds for the table or a mixture of both in the longterm...

then all I need to do is find some land somewhere so I can move on to piggies.... (well i can dream)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 05:20:39 pm »

Must be the Total Mite Kill Spray we sold you Anne ;-)
Maybe but I only used it as a precaution - never saw any mites either before or after.

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 05:49:25 pm »
It's all down to good housekeeping Annie   ;)

Watch me getting lynched now  hehe   :P

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS