Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary loss of use of back legs?  (Read 5159 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Temporary loss of use of back legs?
« on: July 15, 2018, 03:10:23 pm »
Hi, on Thursday night, had my back to the dog, (BC) heard a noise,  thought she was just flopping down, next thing I heard a banging and crashing, turned round and she was flopping round like a fish out of water, somehow she ended up on her bed, but was dribbling, peed a bit, obviously panicking,  talked her down,  seemed OK on her front  but couldnt pull herslf up, eased her on to her feet to a more open area, she wobbled and fell over. Arranged emergency visit to vets, got down there, vet carried her in, put her down and she walked round surgery! Flexed her backk legs, good movement, Took her thru to weigh her, she trotted thru!. Vet gave her an injection (painkiller?) and 5 days Loxicom.
While it's a relief shes OK it's also an expense I could do without. She's been fine since.
Don't know her age, supposed to be 6/7 in 2013, but always been convinced she's older. She is overweight at 28kg, so husband has finally agreed to cut evening biscuits out. (She gets chicken for breakfast and supper, complete meal and tinned meat at teatime, the biscuits after evening walk, so she now has 1).  Never very active, prefers to lay under table.
Any thoughts and advice please? Obviously distressing, don't want to go through that again.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 03:12:22 pm by Penninehillbilly »

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Temporary loss of use of back legs?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 03:17:54 pm »
I had it happen to a cat with an infection on his spine, once treated with antibiotics it went away and my Aunt had a dog loose sensation in his hind during a really hasty ear/neck infection. The dog is elderly and has made good progress but not a 100% recovery.

I think your dogs back must of gone into spasm or there was a trapped nerve and when you carried her into the vet its sorted itself out! 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 03:45:03 pm »
Seen this in a number of breeds.  No apparent reason.  Almost seems like a seizure.  It might be backstrain so you are correct to reduce food intake - try to encourage her to walk more in order to keep her muscles strong.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 04:52:09 pm »
Thanks, I did wonder if the trip to the vets had jiggled something back into place, she was on a couple of dogbeds,
Had her running for a ball today, just a couple of times and very short distance, will work up to more exercise. Trouble is she runs for the ball then either leaves it or waits for me to go and collect it  ::)
You can't teach an o.d dog new tricks  ;D

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 05:03:17 pm »
Did the vet consider a stroke?

I would discuss her diet with the vet. You don't say how much she is getting of everything but I would say cutting out one biscuit aint going to make much difference.

Why are you feeding a complete feed and tinned meat?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 07:57:36 pm »
A stroke was one of my thoughts but the vet didn't mention it.
I had said she was overweight, vet agreed she could do with losing some, but that was all.

She was getting 6 or 7 'Shape' type biscuits, now only gets one when they come in from their walk, she's not happy ?.
She's getting about 3/4 of a tin mug of biscuits, about qtr of a standard tin of meat. Suppose we use to feed mixer biscuits, when we started feeding complete we just carried on with the meat, sort of giving a bit of flavour variety.
They don't get much chicken, about what would fit on a medium sized palm. (Before you think we spoil them, he get rejects from a chicken factory , fresh, so it's boiled up for dogs)  :)

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 10:03:19 am »

She's getting about 3/4 of a tin mug of biscuits, about qtr of a standard tin of meat. Suppose we use to feed mixer biscuits, when we started feeding complete we just carried on with the meat, sort of giving a bit of flavour variety.
They don't get much chicken, about what would fit on a medium sized palm. (Before you think we spoil them, he get rejects from a chicken factory , fresh, so it's boiled up for dogs)  :)

That does sound like quite a lot of food for an inactive older collie type.
Ours gets a quarter of the quantity of the cocker spaniel who weighs less.
Some dogs are just 'good do-ers' if she's overweight, feed less.

Hope she's OK  :hug:
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:40:02 am »
Agree with Duke's mum. Discuss with your vet, they will help you work out a diet and quantities to get to target weight safely.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 12:13:28 pm »
Thanks, but she can make me feel so cruel for starving her to death  ;) .
Will reduce a bit more, but I'd like her more active, realised since I hurt my knee a few years ago, their midday walk got shortened drastically, time we extended again. And because they are loose (our track), she just plods slowly, maybe on a lead we may get further.
Just received bill from vet. £78!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 01:15:51 pm »
Tell her you#ll have to reduce the feed to pay her vet's bill! She'll understand.  :idea:

You have to be cruel to be kind I'm afraid.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 01:44:54 pm »
Tell her you#ll have to reduce the feed to pay her vet's bill! She'll understand.  :idea:

Tell her you#ll have to reduce the feed to pay her vet's bill! She'll understand.
LOL.

Cruel to be Kind - that's the bit she can't / won't understand :-)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2018, 03:51:37 pm »

Tell her you#ll have to reduce the feed to pay her vet's bill! She'll understand.
LOL.

Oh she will! Wait till she can run off and you can't catch her.  :roflanim:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2018, 10:08:59 pm »

LOL.

Oh she will! Wait till she can run off and you can't catch her.  :roflanim:

:roflanim:

Put her lead on today to walk further, it's amazing how many interesting smells she was finding as I tried to drag her up the hill.
Of course, on the way home, nope, nothing interesting there  ::)

Maybe I'm watching for problems, but she did seem to wobble a bit as she went in the grass for a pee.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2018, 02:09:22 pm »
Thanks, but she can make me feel so cruel for starving her to death  ;) .

Make chunky veg soup, add that to bulk out her kibble.  Some real chicken stock wil help too. Chicken will only add to her weight if it's skins, as that's where most of the fat is, and they love cooked chicken..

Cut down on the amount of tinned food- you're only upetting the balance of the kibble - I know, I do it too but it does add protein and carbs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 09:45:46 pm »
Thanks doganjo,
I don't think think they get skin, but I'll check with bossman - No they don't
They won't be getting chicken tonight, he brought a live one home, I'm not doing it. I wonder if she will survive and lay ?? He thinks it's a male. It just sits there, big fat white thing ?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS