Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Temporary loss of use of back legs?  (Read 5156 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Temporary loss of use of back legs?
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2018, 06:20:15 pm »
This sounds eerily similar to what happened to my BC a few years ago. She'd have been 6 ish? Maybe 7? No sudden crash, but just didn't have strength in her back end to walk. I can't honestly remember how it resolved in detail, only that the vet didn't find anything initially, next step would have been MRI but I didn't have the money and she seemed to be improving. I presume we ruled out anything like infection or some sort of bug bite reaction, or.....

My personal best guess is a minor stroke, only because of the loss of movement and some interesting personality changes afterwards.

Nothing similar has happened before or since, she's in fine health now, and I've not heard of anything similar in other dogs until now.

Always a good idea to check diet and exercise anyway. Hope she keeps getting better!

Out of interest, where in the country was she bred? Mine's from Wales. Highly unlikely to be a family thing but you never know!

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2018, 09:52:50 pm »
A neighbour had a similar thing with one of his young collies a while ago.
Had run in a trial one day and absolutely fine.
Next day couldn't get up to stand. Took to the vet but by then was improving. Improvement continued and vet couldn't find a problem. Neighbour thought that maybe the dog had a trapped nerve.

As far as I know it made a full recovery.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2018, 12:58:44 am »

Out of interest, where in the country was she bred? Mine's from Wales. Highly unlikely to be a family thing but you never know!

No idea, rescue dogs, brought up from a smallholding in Norfolk.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2018, 05:03:33 pm »
A neighbour had a similar thing with one of his young collies a while ago.
Had run in a trial one day and absolutely fine.
Next day couldn't get up to stand. Took to the vet but by then was improving. Improvement continued and vet couldn't find a problem. Neighbour thought that maybe the dog had a trapped nerve.

As far as I know it made a full recovery.
More likely lack of blood sugars
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2018, 05:05:27 pm »
Thanks doganjo,
I don't think think they get skin, but I'll check with bossman - No they don't
They won't be getting chicken tonight, he brought a live one home, I'm not doing it. I wonder if she will survive and lay ?? He thinks it's a male. It just sits there, big fat white thing ?
lol fat lazy cockerel somebody dumped maybe.

Cabbage is apparently good for weight loss if you can get the dog to eat it - maybe chopped up small and mixed well?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS