Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: rams!  (Read 3848 times)

kerplonk

• Joined Mar 2008
rams!
« on: August 31, 2010, 11:29:52 am »
  I have four ewes and have previously "borrowed" a ram but i have now bought my own ram .
 should i keep him separated from the ladies, until his services are required, . he is good natured .

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: rams!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:56:50 am »
best to keep him seperate until he is needed but after servicing if he is good natured you can leave him in until the lambs are a few months old and move him out with any ram lambs you may have

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 12:15:48 pm »
ours stays in with the ewes. he has been with them for two years. all the lambs were born early april.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »
We keep our adorable ram Alfie with the ewes all year round apart from now until end of October as we don't want to lamb too early.  He is very placid and is fine with new born lambs too.  We just separated him at the weekend and he has a ram lamb for company.  He can see the ewes through the fence and at the moment he looks a bit sad. :(  Hopefully he will get used to it soon.  I don't remember him being as sad as this last year when he had the goats for company.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2010, 12:48:49 pm »
we tried separating fawn the first year. we could never stop him rejoining the flock. we also have to be careful he does not join the next door flock. they are white and the owner runs them with white rams. fawn is anything but white there were a few with colour on them last year. looks guilty

kerplonk

• Joined Mar 2008
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2010, 07:51:57 pm »
 thanks so much for your comments . our ram, Henry, is good natured and i am sure he will be more content with his ladies. :wave:

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2010, 09:22:41 pm »
they do prefer quantity so make sure they can't go visiting.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS