Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Looking as if I may have to re-home my boys and girls  (Read 10365 times)

Grassmonster

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
Looking as if I may have to re-home my boys and girls
« on: August 30, 2010, 04:22:49 pm »
Due to a relationship breakup, it's looking increasingly likely thaat I may have to rehome my goats. I've moved out of the house into a caravan behind the goatshed on my friend's farm but winter is approaching and since I don't drive, I will be increasingly having to rely on friends to get in hay and straw for me.  While friends may be willing to do this on an emergency basis, I can't expect them to do this long-term. Unless something unforeseen drops out of the woodwork, I will have to part with them all. I have:
1. John - 7 year old entire Golden Guernsey billy - lovely nature, not destructive, will stay in the vicinity of his girls without going berserk or trying to jump in with them even when they are in season.
2. Merlin - 3 year old horned British Saanan X GG wether - again, nice nature
3. Iolo and Dylan - Two two year old disbudded British Saanan X Golden Guernsey wethers - preferably to go together - lovely softies
4. Emlyn - four year old BS x GG wether - huge,tall and loves cuddles - never butts or prats - wonderful with children
5. Eira - ten year old BS x Toggie - had decided to retire her this after producing this years kid - has been a very good milker and could be put in kid again - just felt she deserved retirement.
6. Nia and Lowri - twin sisters BS x GG - Nia kidded last year and has been a prolific milker. Lowri kidded this year and is also a very good milker - both have been dried off because I have no-where to store milk or make cheese in the caravan
7. Arianwen and Rhiannon Eira's and Lowri's kids from this year.  If mums are anything to go by, should be good milkers.
8. And finally, Kes - pet only - rescue goat that I kidded once and she was a very poor milker. Character-wise, she's my favourite and parting with her will be hardest. She has "attitude" but she actually likes attention - prefers humans to other goats and likes a hug. Will play the "up on the back legs" goat games with me but never makes contact - usually a prelude to a hugging session.

None of the goats are registered except Eira .

Good loving homes essential - wethers NOT to go for meat. Would rather PTS at home.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Re: Looking as if I may have to re-home my boys and girls
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 10:51:41 pm »
I am so sorry that you are in this position with your goats.  I downsized my herd a while back, and still have not got over it. It broke my heart to part with my goats, so I know how you are feeling.

I am sure there must be a way round this, to get your hay and straw. Surely, there is someone who sells it, who is happy to deliver it - ok, you may have to buy a set amount to make it worthwhile them delivering, but worth thinking about?  And perhaps just part with some of them, not all?  That would lessen how much hay you would need delivering, but at least you would have some goats still. 

If I was closer, I would do my best to help with your hay and straw delivery, but at the moment I am in Derbyshire (possibly relocating to Scotland soon)

Really hope you can sort things out for your goats, and if not, they get good homes.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 08:22:32 am »
I'm sorry to hear this, it must be upsetting for you.  But Roxy's suggestion about delivery is a good one.  We get hay delivered from a local farmer, but we do order two of those huge round bales at a time.  But if your goats are like mine they get through it in no time!  I'm not in the postition to take more goats unfortunately.  :(  Hope you sort it out.

Grassmonster

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2010, 01:02:47 pm »
Because I'm on someone elses property, large scale storage is a problen and out locals only deliver in larger amounts which I can't store.  The whole thing is heartbreaking - they are sort of extended family - especially Kes - but long-term, I see no alternative. I also have to sell my horses and pigs (piggies too old to breed for the first time - ex wouldn't let me have a boar when they were old enough - 2 huge friendly Tamworths) - I'm frightened for their future - no use as breeders - Florence and Rosie are pets now and I foresee having to have them PTS. Finances and living circumstances dicatet that sooner or later I'll have to do something drastic - I have no electricity where I am and winter is heading my way. Can't afford a flat whilst paying out livery bills and feeding the hords hence the caravan but I'm not getting any younger and can't continue to live like this indefinately.

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:00:26 pm »
hi,my name is fran and i have just started building up my 4 acre 'mini farm'!!lol..we have mini shetlands and some pigs,ive had goats before and was looking to get some more now i have the land...how much would you want for all of them if you do decide to rehome?i have room for retired ones and am not wanting any for meat!!i have rescued/retired shetlands and pigs and love my oldies and they'll be here till the end..hopr this may help you and they would all stay togther...xx.where abouts are you?xxx. :goat:
'can't rain all the time!'

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 09:59:51 pm »
very best of luck with goats, found it very upsetting getting rid of my livestock due to family bust up, sure someone can help you on here......................neil

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2010, 12:29:43 pm »
Hi, Sorry to hear the news grassmonster, I really hope you find someplace for them all soon.

Let it us know how it goes if you can.

Beth

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 08:29:59 pm »
Fingers crossed for you.

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 12:05:25 pm »
Hello :wave:
I don't know how you are getting on with rehoming your animals, but I may be able to rehome some of your goats and perhaps your two pigs.  I am after two pigs to have as pets (my family and I are vegetarians so no risk of them being eaten).  We are down in Dumfries and Galloway on a smallolding with lots of woods and 10 acres of fields.  We have chickens, goats, horses, dogs and cats at the moment.  All the animals would have a home for life.  please get in touch if you still need some help.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 08:03:44 am »
Hello McFrosty, your animals sound like they are in heaven.  :)

McFrosty

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 08:11:32 am »
I do try - I adore my animals and finally realised my life ambition of having enough land to house lots of them  ;D
My husband initally tried to restrain me but has now admitted defeat.   :farmer:

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 09:48:11 am »
Just wanted to say- I think if Grassmonster is living in a caravan she may not be online much. I'm sure when she sees your offer she will come back to you.

:)

Grassmonster

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2010, 01:42:51 pm »
Hi Folks - I've sent McFrosty a PM  :) -sounds like exactly what my lot need. One of my big worries has always been what would happen to my animals if things went wrong and I've held on in a very bad relationship for their sakes for a number of years but thngs have gone beyond my tolerance level with my ex and moving out was the only option - he won't go !  Problem is that he used to bring in my hay and straw and get me from home to the farm but once it was clear that things were beyond repair, he withdrew all transport and left me unable to get things for myself or to get to work. Sort of eviction by non-cooperation.  While I'm prepared to live indefonately in the caravan, I fell that the animals are going to suffer come winter because of the hay/straw issue. I hope to hang onto a couple but getting enough in for all of them when I have no storage and can't replace regularly will be impossible. I can cope without electricity and running water but they need their forage and bedding. Tahnks for all the moral support - my non-animal friends don't get it - their solution is to stick them all in the free ads  :(

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2010, 01:53:31 pm »
hi i truly hope things work out for you which ever direction life takes you, i lived in a similar way to you, 5 years in a caravan, no electric or water after a relationship broke down, and i did it so  i could keep my animals, i couldnt afford an other house and my animals, so the caravan it was,
my life took a turn for the better when i met the absolute darling of a man im with now.
never give up and never stop believing
wish you all the very very best
for the future
p.s my friends never got it either
faith  :wave:

Grassmonster

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2010, 05:10:31 pm »
Little Miss Piggy - sorry, I wasn't ignoring your post, I must have scrolled past it and I've only just spotted it. Price isn't an issue - finding them the right home is the most important thing to me. I'm up in Aberdeenshire on the edge of Huntly. To get an idea of area, postcode is AB54 4QT

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS