Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Poorly goat  (Read 12138 times)

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Poorly goat
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2018, 11:44:38 pm »
Goats are now dosed with wormer so I'll soon she a result, hopefully. Beeducked very kindly showed me how to prune my plum tree and the goats (also kindly) ate all the leaves and most of the branches. Pom is looking anaemic so I'm going to order some more Caprivite. I ran out and didn't re order, which was silly of me, and that should help. She's looking decidedly more cheerful than she was and, apart from being very thin, is far more like she was before the weight suddenly fell off her.

I really thought it was the end for her (which means the end of goat-keeping for me. I have been preparing myself by making plans for what I am going to do with the area and thought I was fine about it but, when I thought Pom was at the end of her life, I realised that I am not ready to give up goats. It's going to have to happen though so I'll keep on with brainwashing.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2018, 11:43:03 pm »
Update today is that I really thought she was dying. I looked out of the window to see both goats in the yard. Pom was lying down with her head on the ground. I thought it looked strange as she usually sleeps inside the shed. When I went to prepare their feed about half an hour later, she hadn't moved so I watched for breathing. She moved her back legs slightly so I could see she was alive. I took the buckets of feed out expecting to be met at the gate with both of them but she still lay there, moving her legs occasionally. Then she tried to get up and was thrashing with all four legs. Finally managed to half stand then flopped back down. With some encouragement she stood and tottered into the shed and lay back down.

It was then that I saw her right eye, which had been the side she was lying on, was closed and swollen with some bruising and broken skin. I rang the vet's surgery but had just missed the usual vet who is 'the goat vet' who was on his half day so I was promised a call from another farm vet. By the time he rang, I had cleaned the eye up a bit. It was clearly very tender and one cut started to bleed again.

The vet suggested putting a cold compress on it. He said it sounded as if she was a bit concussed. I left her shut in her pen with her bucket of feed and she did eat most of it. Every time I checked on her the eye was showing a bit more. The cold compress certainly helped with getting the swelling down. She spent the afternoon standing with her head hanging. but perked up when I took the evening buckets of chopped veg and managed a bleat. I've opened the door so she can get out.

I can only assume that Caldi has kicked or butted her hard. She is trying to take over as herd leader and has tried to butt me a few times but I make it clear that I'm not standing for it. TBH, I don't think Pom cares about being herd leader any more and is happy to let Caldi have the job. I just wish Pom could have a bit of peace from her.

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2018, 06:47:20 am »
Oh goodness MGM  :( poor Pom and you  :hug:

I do hope that today brings a brighter day for you x

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2018, 01:20:06 pm »
I have had to graze the old (disposed) herd queen separately when this happened here a few years ago, she went out with the youngstock and the milkers were in the next field along. That worked well, but she would continue to fight with the milkers (all of them) whenever they were together… She was the oldest and a GG, the next one in line was a big BT type AOV milker...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2018, 05:17:44 pm »
Today she was lying flat in the shed and hard kicked all the hay up where she'd been trying to get up so I called the vet. Managed to get her to her feet and she then ate some coarse mix and sugar beet and then some vegetables and looked a bit better. When the vet arrived ( and it was the goat vet) he confirmed what I suspected, that she is being bullied and, because she's in poor condition, she can't stand up for herself. He's given her an antibiotic and a pain killer in case the eye is still painful. He's not worried about it though. He suggested I double the concentrates I am given her and that I add a small quantity of corn oil to give her more protein. She's shut in her pen atm but tomorrow when my goatkeeper/gardener comes, we can get the yard divided as well so she can come and go.

He said to keep them separate for a month and that, if she seems to be stronger, they can go in together again. He doesn't want to see her again unless she is still in poor condition by autumn. I'm feeling very relieved and more positive about her. I know I am going to lose her at some time but it looks like I'll have a bit longer as a goat keeper.  :relief:

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2018, 05:27:06 pm »
Fingers crossed she gets better - but you will probably find that the division of the yard has to be permanent, the younger goat will not give up so quickly...

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 11:05:27 pm »
Anke, the vet's thinking is that once she's stronger she can stand up for herself. At the moment she is too weak. I'll see what I think once the months up but if it's necessary the hurdles can stay up.

SD, thanks for the link. I'll see if my food supplier has any in. You weren't the only one dreading the next installment. We are going to be away from Saturday for a week and I was dreading leaving a poorly goat behind. Now I've had the vet out, I feel more reassured that the people who are goat-sitting will not have any problems. (apart from the struggle to get through a sheep hurdle/gate).

Just goes to show that even though I thought I was ready to give up goats, I'm not that ready.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2018, 12:40:53 am »
Just caught up with this Mgm, sorry to hear you are having such problems, but good to hear things are looking positive.
Have you tried her  with chopped alfalfa? Easy to eat and apparently very good for them, mine love a handful or so, they'll eat that when they wont eat hay.

BTW, I don't think 10 is old, my oldest is 10, she's kidded this year, I'd decided it would be her last year, she fooled me with triplets. I am giving tnem extra milk from the others, but the mum is doing OK.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 12:45:16 am by Penninehillbilly »

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2018, 10:16:58 pm »
PHB, I've only just seen this. I was giving them apple chaff until they both decided they didn't like it. Is alfalfa different? I'll get some if it's likely to help. I know 10 isn't old but it's the age I lost my first goat, Pom's mum and she went very thin first.

She looks happier although she still in incredibly thin. She's been a bit off her food while it's been so hot but still eating a good bucket of fruit and veg from my friendly local shopkeeper and most of her concentrates. I'm also adding molasses to try to give her some more energy and yesterday I saw the two of them play fighting through the hurdles, which cheered me up.Her eye is almost back to normal although still looks a bit puffy. It'll probably look better once she has hair round it again.

My only worry with her now is that she is getting bald patches on her body although still has most of her winter coat. The patches are covered in what looks to me like cradle cap for anyone who has had babies. It scrapes off very easily. I was looking at it today and the hair comes out with very little pulling so it seems to be off at the roots. Any ideas?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2018, 07:53:24 am »
I've had similar in two of my BS nannies (mother and daughter, submissive low in pecking order goats that tend to stay thin too) when they've moulted, but it doesn't seem to happen if I give them cosecure boluses, it could be a mineral deficiency.
I've also seen similar in "wool slip" in sheep following a stressful event such as an infection. Given what she's been through, that is likely what is going on, though mineral supplementation is unlikely to hurt either.
Hope that helps and she keeps improving

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 01:04:19 pm »
PHB, I've only just seen this. I was giving them apple chaff until they both decided they didn't like it. Is alfalfa different? I'll get some if it's likely to help.

She looks happier although she still in incredibly thin. She's been a bit off her food while it's been so hot but still eating a good bucket of fruit and veg from my friendly local shopkeeper and most of her concentrates. I'm also adding molasses to try to give her some more energy and yesterday I saw the two of them play fighting through the hurdles, which cheered me up.Her eye is almost back to normal although still looks a bit puffy. It'll probably look better once she has hair round it again.

My only worry with her now is that she is getting bald patches on her body although still has most of her winter coat. The patches are covered in what looks to me like cradle cap for anyone who has had babies. It scrapes off very easily. I was looking at it today and the hair comes out with very little pulling so it seems to be off at the roots. Any ideas?

Hi MGM, It would be easier for you to Google 'chopped alfalfa than me try to explain ?
Good to hear she's feeling better,
She has been quite ill, so not surprised it's affecting her coat, I'd second minerals apart from maybe a wash with a suitable shampoo I can't think what else to suggest.
Maybe watch out for sunburn as well? Esp. The bald/thin areas will be susceptible?

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 04:28:27 pm »
Thanks, everyone, you've reassured me. I did wonder if it was stress related and that seems more likely. A friend came and looked at her today. She (the friend) used to keep goats but many years ago. Her opinion was that after all Pom had been through lately, it seemed likely to be stress-related. She was puzzled by the 'cradle cap' but we can't find any mites on her and, being white, they should show up. She's going to hate me but I'm going to get some dandruff shampoo for her and some alfalfa, and also reorder some Caprivite. They ran out a few weeks ago and I haven't got round to ordering any more.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 09:05:13 pm »
AS I recall you have wormed her with pour on wormer, so that would have got rid of any mites. However, it is possible she had some which have been killed off and the bare patches are where the mites had damaged the hair follicles. In some animals you find that pour on wormer causes dandruff, and that could be the "cradle cap" that you are now seeing.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 10:00:36 pm »
AS I recall you have wormed her with pour on wormer, so that would have got rid of any mites. However, it is possible she had some which have been killed off and the bare patches are where the mites had damaged the hair follicles. In some animals you find that pour on wormer causes dandruff, and that could be the "cradle cap" that you are now seeing.

That makes sense. I did wonder if it was dandruff but it's very greasy. It doesn't seem to bother her.

For good measure. she's now started limping. She had her hooves trimmed today after quite a long gap, mainly due to not wanting to make her stand on three legs when she was pretty run down. He knee is warm to the touch. It's possible that it was wrenched a bit during the trimming, I suppose. I'll keep an eye on it. She had a spell of limping a few months back and the other one had scald so I called the vet out and he gave me terramycin and a big bill. He did say that if she continued to limp that he could let me have some painkillers but they were very expensive although 1 bottle would last a very long time. I'll try putting a compress on it tomorrow.

I've got to the stage where I'm wondering what next (while sorting out the bill for the other week).

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2018, 10:53:47 pm »
At last I can feel signs of increased weight in that Pom's spine is not so knobbly. I've increased her feed until she is almost at a level that she was on when she was producing milk. She won't east more than that but it's working. I was beginning to think I would be calling the vet as he said he wanted to see her again if she hadn't gained weight by autumn.

She still has the bald patches which look worse because she never did lose her winter coat. I guess she needed it for warmth with so little flesh. I'm going to bathe her with dandruff shampoo again when we have a warm day. I thought it would be very difficult but I think she enjoyed it - even being hosed down to rinse her.

Thanks for all the support. So glad I'm on TAS and have all you lovely goat-keeping TASers.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS