Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Smalholder Cars?  (Read 9207 times)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Smalholder Cars?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 02:45:30 pm »
I wish they made a UTE available in the UK, for those of us who need a pickup but don't need the massiveness of the pickups that are available today. :)

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 04:39:21 pm »
I wish they made a UTE available in the UK, for those of us who need a pickup but don't need the massiveness of the pickups that are available today. :)

WHAT?  you mean we don't need a truck that would trans Australia just to go to the local supermarket?  :roflanim:
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 06:52:46 pm »
Is it called 'The Moon'  Womble?   (as in asking for the ..... )
Well maybe, but until I do my research, I won't know what to compromise on.

At the moment, it looks as though it will be fuel economy, since by definition, the car is going to have to weigh about 1800kg in order to tow 1500kg comfortably (using the '85% rule'), and that's never going to be an economical drive. By my reckoning, a 5mpg difference between two cars is worth about £240 per year to me in fuel costs, so whilst not critical, it's definitely something to think about carefully.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 07:21:32 pm »
Dacia Duster  diesel 4wd  ,seem to be fairly reliable ?? Boot 408 lt     56mpg   1500kg towing  all for less than £15,000 new
•Four wheel drive, capable of light use over fields and on snowy tarmac
•Equipped with a decent sized boot, for visits to the feed store etc
•Capable of comfortably towing 1,500kg (i.e. within the 85% weight rule)
•Still reasonably economical for circa 15,000 miles a year

Is it called 'The Moon'  Womble?   (as in asking for the ..... )

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2018, 07:26:44 pm »
 Two pickups here both Isuzu  3.5 tonnes towing  , a double cab  very comfortable to drive and a single cab a bit more bouncy as less weight  neither get more than 30-35 mpg and if towing  20-25 mpg

pgkevet

• Joined Jul 2011
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2018, 08:26:21 pm »
I went through the wrong door and ended up at Great Wall Motors.. who were suprised at a visitor and insisted on coffee and biccies.. anyway I needed the loo. It would have been churlish not to at least have a look and suprisingly the pickups were comfy to sit in and towing specs a suprise. This top gear review says it all: https://www.topgear.com/car-news/driven-great-wall-steed

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 08:33:35 am »
Don't forget to allow for a) new MOT regs if buying a used car and b) the chances of diesels being banned or priced out of city centres in the near future.

Also keeping an eye on this thread, my trusty Polo currently has stable matting in the back in an effort to keep it almost clean-ish  ::) :roflanim:

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 09:10:15 am »
After a lot of consideration, research and headache, I deducted that, at least for what I intend to do, van would be more suitable than a pickup.
Ford transit custom can tow 2.5t which is enough to tow a 2 cow trailer, Has much more usable space inside, takes a lot less fuel!
But... That's only if you don't plan to use it off road, I.e. live just of tarmac road.
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 09:57:30 am »
I thought about a van, but I need 4x4 for where I live. VW do a 4x4 van in europe but you can't get them in the UK. :(

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2018, 02:39:52 pm »
I ruled out the Dacia Duster because I have a P6e unbraked trailer and the Duster didn't have a high enough unbraked limit.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2018, 04:04:17 pm »
Knew  a woman who used an AUDI QUATTRO estate to feed her sheep

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2018, 05:40:54 pm »
Skoda yeti 4wd?  can tow up to 2t,  should be cheap as they have brought out a new one with a new name

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2018, 09:24:53 pm »
I suspect it won't have the ground clearance for you, but we make a lot of use of an older 4x4 turbo petrol Octavia estate here.  It'll pull the horse box with a Dexter bull inside, its 4x4 drive is very competent on muddy fields.  It's not mega-fuel-efficient, especially when towing, but it's a really comfortable car for a long drive.  The load space is very good.

A quick Google suggests the Octavia Scout has a kerb weight of just under 1300kgs but will tow 1800kgs.  Doesn't quite comply with your 85% 1.5tonne, I know.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

nutterly_uts

• Joined Jul 2014
  • Jersey - for now :)
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 05:02:23 pm »
I suspect it won't have the ground clearance for you, but we make a lot of use of an older 4x4 turbo petrol Octavia estate here.  It'll pull the horse box with a Dexter bull inside, its 4x4 drive is very competent on muddy fields.  It's not mega-fuel-efficient, especially when towing, but it's a really comfortable car for a long drive.  The load space is very good.

A quick Google suggests the Octavia Scout has a kerb weight of just under 1300kgs but will tow 1800kgs.  Doesn't quite comply with your 85% 1.5tonne, I know.

Team Skoda here too. I don't tow etc but my Octavia will do anytihng asked and has never got stuck. Recently did a boot full of bricks one trip and 28 large paving slabs on the next..

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2018, 11:27:44 am »

Thanks everybody.

It's really hard to know what to do for the best. On one hand, I feel that I hardly justify having the Landy as well as a car, as I rarely use its full capabilities. On the other hand, on the few occasions that I've used it as a Landy, pretty much anything less would have stuggled. The trouble is, it's a very expensive toy to run for just those few occasions.

Still thinking.....   :thinking:
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS