Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New mum - different problem!!  (Read 2048 times)

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
New mum - different problem!!
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:05:54 pm »
My first timer Anglo Nubian kidded in the early hours without me there and I was confronted with 2 dryish kids perfectly ok but shouting loudly.  The mum seemed a little confused.  Got them all into the bonding pen and she is attentive to them but doesnt seem to be feeding them.  When I put the kids to her she kicks and runs knocking or treading on them.  I have tied her up and have got one feeding but she still is kicking and panicking. The other I try to force to feed and she just wont.  I will syringe some milk into her.  The mum has plenty of milk.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Re: New mum - different problem!!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 07:25:40 pm »
Hi need to give colostrum to kid so milk mum and bottle feed, they should have first feed within six hours of kidding at the latest, ideally within the first hour. Colostrum can't be absorbed into the blood stream after twenty four hours, also the energy supply they are born with will be depleting rapidly and kid is at risk of becoming hyperthermic. Feeding problem can be solved later on, I expect others will be able to give you advice on the problem

Angie

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 11:13:53 pm »
Hi Missy how is your new mum and kids getting on, were you able to resolve the problem with her feeding them?
Hope all has settled down now, all the best with them.

Angie

Missy

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 01:42:57 pm »
Hi Angie thanks for asking.  Day 2 and mum is getting better. I still tie her up if she looks like she is going to run and she is fine.  Baby boy though is quite poorly.  Sounds very chesty, and is weak.  I dont think he will make it.  He is having a/bs and I am either holding him to mum where sometimes he will have a suckle but every couple of hours I am syringing her milk into him.  I have a feeling because I wasnt there at the birth he wouldnt have been able to suckle from her as she was so worried and didnt get sufficient colostrum.  I feel gutted as I checked her about 10.30 the night before and as she wasnt due for a week hadnt started going down in the night to check. :'(

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 03:50:35 pm »

If these kids are a little early then chest problems are likely. The lungs are not quite fully developed and if he came backwards he may well have breathed in some fluid... these things happen unfortunately.

You may be better off milking the dam out and bottle feeding the kids, at least you will know if they get enough milk.

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2018, 01:09:06 pm »
Hi Missy
You seem to be winning with mum,it takes time and patience, she will be an old hand next time she kids.
It is a shame that the little Billy is not well,hope he manages to pickup, I would bottle feed him and sibling, or top up the sibling if you want to leave with mum.

One thing I have learned about goats is they are not text book animals, I think they must read the books, say to themselves ha, that's what they think and throw the books away lol
They sure keep you on your toes.

All the best with them

Angie

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2018, 10:04:36 pm »

One thing I have learned about goats is they are not text book animals, I think they must read the books, say to themselves ha, that's what they think and throw the books away lol
They sure keep you on your toes.

So true.  :roflanim: :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS