Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Maiden milker???  (Read 1346 times)

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Maiden milker???
« on: May 12, 2018, 09:49:32 pm »
Our three year old dairy goat has developed udders this spring, she lives with three wethers, no reason to believe any of them are not fully castrated, non of them have any Billy traits. They are all just lawn mowers, if she is producing milk and is not milked will things calm down or will this cause problems? I don't want to start milking her in reality.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: Maiden milker???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 07:13:16 am »
The commercial herd I worked at had a lot of kids that wished to be maiden milkers.  They were never milked off no matter how large the udder got and there was never a problem.

I think the problems start once you break the seal at the teat orifice.  This allows bugs to travel into the udder and attracts flies.  Flies may be more of a problem so keep an eye out for them feeding from the udder as they can transmit summer mastitis.

Goats!!!

• Joined Aug 2016
Re: Maiden milker???
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 09:50:40 pm »
Thanks for your replies, plan to leave well alone, but will keep an eye on her, she's very friendly so no problem to check her.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS