NFU Mutual Smallholding Insurance

Author Topic: Temporary Movement  (Read 925 times)

oor wullie

  • Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Temporary Movement
« on: May 06, 2018, 10:45:44 am »
I've been offered grazing for a couple of months through the summer on land adjacent to my croft and hope to put a couple of cows on it.

How does the paperwork work for this?

I will still be the owner and responsible keeper for the animals and so don't want to transfer them as I would if I had sold them (anyway the landowner doesn't have a herd number (yes he does have a CPH)).

Google suggests I can create a temporary land association so the field comes under my CPH for a period.  Does this apply in Scotland and how do I go about it?
Voss Electric Fence


  • Joined Jan 2011
  • Argyll
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 12:15:19 pm »
Have a look on the Scot Gov site at Scot move's  this was set up last year so you can use Scot eid for simple movement's to grass parks or in your case contiguous land ?


  • Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 07:47:01 am »
Phone ScotMoves at Inverurie.

You used to be able to link grazings that were less than 5  miles apart so you didn't do a passport movement but just put it in your herd register but it changes last year and now you have to record the movement on ScotMoves but it's not a passport move. I think.

oor wullie

  • Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 06:02:04 pm »
Thanks folks.
ScotEID runs Scotmoves which can link holdings and so cattle moves can be recorded with them, no need for a proper movement on the passport or even any record in my herd book.
You have to apply to them in advance to get everything set up though.


  • Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2018, 06:48:03 pm »
Can anyone tell me the procedure in Wales?


Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.
Nantygroes  facebook page


  • Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 06:35:02 am »
Procedure in wales last time I enquired in relation to sheep (maybe 3 yrs ago) was that if it was under 10 miles you didn't need to do anything or notify anyone if it was just your sheep on the land. It seems crazy to me, the woman said to maybe make a note on your flock register of which sheep were at the other address.


  • Joined Mar 2016
Re: Temporary Movement
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 06:26:11 pm »
Sorry to jump on this late, but does the 'land within 10 mile rule' apply to sheep and cattle? Or do cattle have to be pre-movement tested for every time they move regardless of the distance from your actual holding?

I've been very lucky not to have to move the cattle off my land other than to the abbatoir, but once the herd grows they will have to go onto other grazing locally.

Thanks in advance!


Pre-movement TB testing

Started by

Replies: 13
Views: 4830
Last post January 26, 2015, 04:16:59 pm
by Thyme
Cattle movement and TB testing

Started by ShaunP

Replies: 0
Views: 904
Last post August 14, 2014, 05:40:03 pm
by ShaunP

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Little Peckers

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2019. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS