Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Movements / swaps  (Read 2332 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Movements / swaps
« on: May 12, 2018, 01:36:09 pm »
I suspect there is a difference between what people actually do and what is legally permitted  :innocent:

I need to change bulls soon, if I can arrange a swap can this be done without triggering any standstills - as in if Bull A comes to me then we can't take Bull B away from me on the same day.

We don't have approved quarantine type facilities, and we don't have a suitable third site to have Bull B waiting on.

We could both deliver our own bulls, but then neither of us are around to help settle in the new guy.

Thoughts?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Movements / swaps
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
The bull who’s leaving needs to leave before the incoming bull arrives.

Could you swap trailers?   So they load their bull into their trailer and have him standing by as you arrive.  You then swap trailers and you drive the new bull home in their trailer.  Another trip later to swap trailers back, which either of you can do once the bulls are settled in their new homes :).
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 05:50:53 pm »
The only legal way is for you both to load and leave your holdings at the same time but you are obviously worried about dropping off and leaving the new bulls in a new home. Although presumably you both have safe holding areas so is it really a problem?

Swapping trailers would have to be somewhere off both holdings.

Surely, you don't expect anyone to suggest a non legal way of doing this  :eyelashes:

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
Depends where you are I think. In Scotland, breeding bulls/rams/Billy goats are covered by an exemption to movement standstills if to be used for breeding. Check the gov UK websites for specific details.

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 12:36:08 pm »
Defra  rules are different  ,only works from 1st aug _30th nov and the oncoming male has to go in to a seperation facility

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 08:08:03 pm »
Didn't need to worry in the end, after some negotiations our lad has gone off to new home and we are waiting out a standstill (or two, depending on if they buy at sales this week) and a blood test result.
We have a pen we can use as isolation; am considering giving him a steer as a friend and then sending that steer to slaughter at the end of the isolation period.
I hate seeing a herd animal alone, even if it makes my life hard!  :farmer:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS