Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Egg Production  (Read 3125 times)

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
Egg Production
« on: August 20, 2010, 07:57:40 am »
Hi
Prompted by a comment from Roxy in the thread about cockerels running with hens.

In my wandering through forums I've noticed people making passing reference to a reduction in laying this year and I just wondered how many people have been experiencing it? And if anyone has any theories?

Ours are not laying as much as they used to and I don't know if it's just age but I do keep saying to Steve that a few people seem to be noticing the same thing.

bamford6

Re: Egg Production
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 09:28:55 am »
the birds no that its coming to the end off the season autum will start in a week and a halfs time .the birds no this as the summer as not warmed up as much and migration as started its been 3 c here on wensday night  in the  highlands cold for august and the first cold spell middle september as been forcast

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 09:29:16 am »
Ours has reduced too.  Have 4 ex-batts and 6 others.  Get about 2-3 eggs a day at the moment.  Always seems to be a broken one though too.  

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 01:45:31 pm »
I have 10 ex bat hens. They were laying good style but now I am only getting approx 2 eggs per day, and no eggs at all from the geese. 
Cheers Helen

Daveravey

• Joined Jul 2009
  • Fife
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 02:23:48 pm »
I've only been getting 2-3 for the last 4 days from my 7, so i gather something's in the air   :D

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:12 pm »
mine are in overdrive at mo....ducks = 2/3 a day  (3 ducks); hubbards = 3 a day (5 girls); layers = 6 a day (8 girls).....anyone wany eggs?

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 03:12:57 pm »
ours dropped off but some of the younger stock are just starting to lay. a couple of olive green layers from a cross between a legbar and hylines.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 03:54:32 pm »
still getting 100% from my girls at the moment but would expect next month for mine to slow down
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Mo

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Yorkshire
    • A Small Holding
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »
I guess I must just be noticing particular posts and it's just my perception.
We knew the second year wouldn't be as good as the first, and we're well into our third year from our chicks now but I just got the feeling it was something that was cropping up all over the country, not just to do with age or the seasons.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 04:16:49 pm »
I would think it is something to do with the weather for sure, It has been hot and dry here with little rain until this last week, our egg production is awful from 30 hens we went down to 5 a day! Both my nieghbours have had the same problem so its not just me, however since the rain has begun to soak the ground we are gettin back up to 12 a day, still not great but much better :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS