Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help  (Read 4071 times)

storm35

• Joined May 2010
Re: Help
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 09:42:00 am »
I'm sorry to hear that.  :(  But these things do happen.  Look at it as part of nature and it's not your fault.  Don't give up.  As Roxy said, get POL maybe next time.

Thank you, but i do feel its my fault, if i left them where they were with the breeder, they would be perfectly happy and living. Little one was eating, drinking, happy wee soul yesterday, then i put her in with them thinking it will be ok, as its nighttime, and me being selfish not wanting a bright light in my room, then this morning she is dead.
So upset today  :'( :'(

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 10:01:28 am »
These things happen, young of any kind are hard to keep well and healthy. Sad that you had to go through this but do try again.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 01:12:14 pm »
you do get the odd one that dies on you. its very hard knowing whats best but if they struggle as chicks chances are that they would not thrive. even keeping hens you will face the same dilema you need to come to terms with death if your planning to keep hens. our chuck grave yard is rather full of birds that have had to be culled.

storm35

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 02:56:42 pm »
Odd one, i have had 3 die on me in space of a week, i wont be getting chicks again, will just get pol chicks.
If i left her be on her own she would have been fine.
Trial and error but its just so sad, now i have a mad duckling who is getting chased about by a chick who thinks duck is her mother, as she always wants fed from ducks beak lol.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2010, 03:06:50 pm »
So sorry about your chick. As others have said, things do happen when you have livestock - and the chick could have died whether it was with the others, or on its own, for a variety of reasons.  Birds and animals can be horrible to each other, even babies, and if one is a bit weaker, they seem to know and peck it.  It may be that the chick was weak, and the duck knew.

Its such a shame you had to go through this.  Surely whoever sold you the chicks, should have realised it would be more sensible to start you off on older ones.  I know no amount of saying these things happen will alter the guilt you feel, but they do happen, and all of us have been through it at one time or another.  You still have the duck and other chick, so concentrate on them now, and enjoy watching them grow!!

Just keep an eye on that duck, in case it starts on the other chick

I have just had a look at your pics - didn't realise just how small the chicks were.   I would not have ducks in with my small chicks, because ducks obviously grow a lot quicker, and will be bullies.  I am sure they will grow up to be lovely birds though!!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 03:10:37 pm by Roxy »

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 03:09:49 pm »
we have two bantam chicks who think a peacock chick is there mum they jump on its back.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS