Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: soft shells and eating them?!  (Read 1877 times)

Railway Chickens

• Joined Oct 2009
soft shells and eating them?!
« on: August 19, 2010, 10:12:46 am »
Can anyone help me, we have four chooks, warren, light sussex, belleblue and black rock. Our warren is 2 1/2 years and has started to lay soft shelled eggs,very weird to touch, and also she eats them if we're not quick enough to get them out. What can we do about her? Has she come to her end? She doesn't eat the other eggs. Please help, she's my fav! :chook:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:29:33 am by Railway Chickens »

sheardale

• Joined Apr 2009
  • Dollar, Clacks, Scotland
Re: soft shells and eating them?!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 11:07:09 am »
I had this problem too.  I added oyster shell grit to the food.  Any type of grit, from your supplier or pet shop should do.  I bought just a small quantity to try , 65p  and it worked.  Hope this is of some help to you.
Cheers Helen

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 11:13:54 am »
she may be under the weather - give her lots of treats and add grit too. She will be fine, this happens from time to time

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 08:46:38 pm »
One of ours laid 4 soft shell eggs in a row. There were peck marks in the last one but after that they went back to normal. I should say that we've only had them nearly four weeks and they are point of lay so still young. I make sure they get oyster grit and their shells cooked, ground up and fed back too.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS