Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: chickens and cocks  (Read 1877 times)

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
chickens and cocks
« on: August 19, 2010, 08:49:46 am »
my FiL has a theory that you get less eggs and more boroody birds if you have a cock running with them. I must say that I've been rather disappointed by egg numbers of late and I wondered whether any of you wise folk had any comments on this?

jameslindsay

• Joined Feb 2009
  • Nr St Andrews, Fife
  • "Blossom" one of my Pygmy Goats
Re: chickens and cocks
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 09:15:26 am »
I have 15 ducks and for the last while I am lucky if I get 3 eggs a day - some days I get nothing. But I do suspect that they are laying along the river bank and the birds will get these ones. The hens were slowing down but I have noticed over the last few days things are getting better again.

I had a cockerel with the girls for a year and never had a broody hen. I re homed him and a few weeks after he goes I got a broody hen! Did get some eggs off a friend and she did go on and hatch 5 Silkies.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 09:54:44 am »
I have 7 laying hens and getting an average oof 3-4 eggs per day - think it is the time of year!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:43:06 am »
I have always had cockerels running with my hens. Never had a problem with egg numbers. But this year, its been a poor do regarding eggs, and most disappointing.  Not sure what it is, but as cockerels have not been a problem before, can't see why it should be this year.

Just noticed that this board has let you type the word "cock" in your title> A lot of forums this word is censored so you have to type cockerel instead!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS