Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for land?  (Read 5217 times)

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
How much for land?
« on: August 15, 2010, 09:24:07 am »
What is the average price of land?

I am trying to buy a patch off the farmer with the field behind me. The patch is approx' 100m x 10m, it's rough grass/reeds.

:farmer:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: How much for land?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 01:06:34 pm »
Depends where you are, I got £2000 an acre in Aberdeenshire, my friends in Northants paid aound £5000 an acre - varies a lot even within counties.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 04:13:51 pm »
here in the south wst about 10,000 an acre i believe, renting is often a better idea???

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2010, 04:40:42 pm »
Dad has just paid £15,000 for a 750m2 lump of land, our price is high as the land is bought with the intention of building a garage on the land

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2010, 05:02:51 pm »
Yes, it would be an awful lot higher with planning consent.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2010, 06:42:19 pm »
I forgot to say he wants between 3 & 4k for it.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2010, 06:44:02 pm »
I forgot to say he wants between 3 & 4k for it.
That's a bit steep!

CameronS

• Joined Aug 2009
  • North East Fife
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2010, 06:57:53 pm »
Is the land SSI/SSSI, etc??

otherwise that is a lot of money for pretty much crappy land of little or no use to the commercial farmer. i would get someone in to survey the land, with the consent of the farmer, rather than a private deal.

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 09:20:43 pm »
It's not just a strip of land on it's own, it's just that size to square off a patch at the back of my garden, the field is about 8-10 acre but popular with other home owners who have paid similar amounts.  :-\

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 09:39:59 pm »
Could the Farmer sell it to anyone else for that sum?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 08:51:46 am »
My sister paid 2 K for a tiny strip of land with pine trees that she cant cut down (no idea why) just to square off her garden, and it took her months and months to get the council to agree to sell. 

chriso

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cumbria
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:05 pm »
Could the Farmer sell it to anyone else for that sum?

:-\ I doubt it - that's a very good point.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 11:20:44 pm »
Another thought - if it's reedy - is it wet?  not worth as much if it is.  Also who instigated the possible purchase - you or the farmer?

old ploughman

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:14:19 am »
Just to play devils advocate - from the sellers point of view, what will this land add to the value of your property? - a lot more thn the asking price I suggest. I am surprised the asking price isn't over £10K with a clawback of 50% of any uplift in value if planning were ever granted on the ground.

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 09:35:45 am »
 I think the price is reasonable.

We bought a similar sized strip 9 years ago to lengthen our garden.There were 4 houses build in a row backing onto a field  which was rented out for horses. We all wanted a bit more garden and eventually decide that a 10 metre extension would be ideal.

Anyway 9 years ago we each paid £2000 plus the farmers legal fees, plus we had to fence it as well. We all felt it was worth it.

As a bonus, as it had been agricultural land then was nothing in our Deeds to say we couldn't keep animals on it. So we got our first chickens and there started our journey into Smallholding.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS