Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: what can pigs eat - or not???  (Read 35062 times)

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
what can pigs eat - or not???
« on: August 09, 2010, 10:31:28 pm »
Hi ya,

Notwithstanding the legal requirements ie regarding feeding meats or food from kitchen/etc. ( A big sign is going up to remind everyone!! )
Also, notwithstanding that moderation is the rule regarding quantities!!!

Is there anything that should be avoided...or may be downright BAD for the pigs.  I have two 9 week weaners....and a lot of veg garden trimmings etc.

for example

leaves/haulms from potatoes? or potatoes themselves?
beetroots
beans
peas
plums
broccoli
pears
cabbages
loads of apples
Rhubarb
currents
other weeds, garden trimmings
etc.

Thanks Emma T

If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
Re: what can pigs eat - or not???
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 10:55:47 pm »
No citrus fruits, onions or parsnips I've been told, as they'll get blisters, and apparently potato and tomatoplants are poisonous, and rhubarb leaves are poisonous as well (according to a horse owner, so maybe not for pigs). Other than that, anything they like! They'll leave out what they don't like. Ours this year hate peppers and last year's pigs weren't keen on cabbages and spat Brussels sprouts back out. Bananas are the biggest hit, but unfortunately they don't grow in our vegetable patch! :D

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:56:29 am »
Absolutely NO tomato or potato haulms.  THEY ARE POISONOUS as is rhubub leaf.  Unless they are starving they are unlikely to eat anything that is poisonous.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:08 pm »
Thank you all,
i had a feeling that potatoes and rhubarb would be Nono's,,,, but didnt think of the tomato haulms or onions, and parsnips.
cheers Emma T

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:36:50 pm »
i worked few years ago in a fruit and veg company, and could take away left overs, thankfully iv remained friendly so still go back now and again, pigs often ate lots of tomatoes, most things they would not eat onions orange lemon, citrus etc, and un cooked potato, so after a few times i just stuck to stuff they would eat, they wont eat anything they dont like, interesting about tomato ill check that out,, ps strawberry apple and grapes were the favs

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 08:11:18 am »
Very interesting re tomatos my girls love them and a major local breeder gives them to his no problems? Is it just the plants that ate poisonous not the fruit?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 08:19:02 am »
The fruit of tomato and potatoe plants are fine (although personally we only feed cooked potatoes) its just the plants which are very poisonous and to humans as well.   

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 09:12:16 am »
Avoid any potatoes that have gone green through exposure to light.

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:34:17 pm »
I fed my pigs loads of tomatoes last year and despite all the snow and freezing conditions there are lots of tomato plants doing very well in their pen(which I have turned into a garden)
They also ate courgettes, marrows, carrots, turnips, cabbages, apples and pears but turned their snouts up at raw french and runner beans.
The pigs taste delicious!!

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 11:57:22 pm »
think ill just concentrate on apples and give them plenty, it goes well with pork  ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:56:39 am »
The autumn nuts really do improve the flavour if they are fed for a couple of weeks or more up to killing. 

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 01:11:36 pm »
In a few weeks time I will be moving them into the orchard. We have four eating apple trees - laden with apples- and two cookers. there are plenty of windfalls already but the piggies are not interested, probably too sour yet!!  Can pigs have tooo many apples?

I hope that they will learn to like apples cos we get so many on the gound that I sprain my ankles walking in the orchard. :-(
We have more apples than the horses can eat, will maybe try cider this year too!!
Emma T

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 05:53:26 pm »
I suppose its a matter of taste, Hilary has been known to help herself from the tree, although we are having to protect the smaller trees as she debarks if left unsupervised.   :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS